Equities Strategy

Comments

• ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 March 2018 at 9:58AM
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Over what period of time?

I really only started investing post 2008, and then took a while to establish how I would go about it.

So I'm not suggesting those figures maintain through thick and thin, simply that investing in funds does not mean you have to accept poor returns.

Percentage returns for previous years (heading backwards from 2017)...

20, 34, 9, 21, 22, 3, -3, 3

I don't change things about very much (just peripheral stuff) and Trustnet is currently showing annualised returns of: 1 year 20.9, 3 years 20.9, 5 years 21.2.

It's all equities (in OEICs and ITs). I hold quite a bit of cash, plus p2p, shared BTL and others to spread the risk.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • ValiantSon wrote: »
    I'm delighted that you are pleased with the performance of your equities, but that doesn't in any way substantiate your view that funds deliver paltry returns.

Well l provided a link to the top 25 fund managers with their returns.... If you think they are great good luck to you.
  • Sam_J
    Sam_J Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2018 at 10:40AM
    My strategy is to purchase the equity or bond funds that have most outperformed the market for the last 6 months, hold them for 6 months, then switch out to whichever funds are most outperforming the market at that time point. I hold 6 funds in total and switch one at the start of each month. I limit myself to the funds that are available to hold in an ISA on the platform I use.

I believe that this strategy significantly increases variance/risk over a buy and hold strategy but compensates for this by providing an increased long term return.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Feels a bit like turning up to the party when it's almost over and others have already started leaving for the next party.
  • ChesterDog
    Would the previous two posters mind sharing their performance figures, please?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I don't claim to have achieved above market returns on my equity investments as most of our money is in fairly passive mixed asset funds. I have certainly reduced fees in recent years. Our active investments have done well but the extra gains are insignificant in terms of the total portfolio value.
  • ChesterDog
    It wasn't you I meant, Alex.

Our posts crossed.

Genuinely interested to see results of the different strategies, even if short term.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2018 at 11:46AM
    Here is my strategy:

- Overall have 70% in stocks, 7% in P2P and rest cash.

- In my stocks portion i have 3 portfolios: pension, ISA and trading accounts.

- Pension: aim is long term growth as i wont be able to access for another 20-30 years so i have 50% in a managed growth fund, 25% in a US tracker and 25% in a global tracker.

- ISA: aim is for growth and dividends so i have a mix of growth and dividend stocks. Bulk of portoflio is in index trackers but have single shares like BAC, JPM, BATS, VOD etc that pay good dividends.

- Trading: to buy individual US shares and other single shares i like plus have some managed funds that i bought - usually because i have maxed out ISA so want to invest more but also because i can hold US shares settled in $ rather then £ with my broker and i prefer this as it saves me money in terms of fx conversion costs. I have fundsmith and lindsell train global and also amazon, msft, csco etc.

Overall my portfolio is around 45% index funds, 30% managed funds and 25% single shares.

I am also 70% in US shares - i like it this way. I hold long term and rarely trade.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well l provided a link to the top 25 fund managers with their returns.... If you think they are great good luck to you.

Well they are the returns for UK fund managers of UK funds. If you added in fund managers from other sectors then the numbers would be a little different although the numbers don't get much bigger. Trustnet tells me that Nick Train (to pick one from your linked table) for example is the 4th best performing manager (of 1674) over the last 10 years.

Its important to note that the 2008 crash is included in those 10 year figures. If we took Nick Train's 9 year annualized return it looks much better at 21.8%

You are claiming that you are better than that and these are paltry returns. I find that a little doubtful.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite

Another straw man argument. Where did I say that the 25 funds you linked to were, "great"?

You made a ridiculous claim that fund returns were paltry. You haven't provided any valid justification for this. Accepting that what you said was hyperbole would be dignified: presenting straw man arguments to defend it isn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure