Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa

Comments

• tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,194
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes it was that issue (hence why I stated they had "incorrectly" advised me).
  • PauloF1
    PauloF1 Posts: 14
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 July 2017 at 11:34AM
    The card reader is mandatory to set up payees properly & withdraw funds, therefore it should not be an option, they should send it out as part of the account opening process, anything else is going to lead to delays, mistakes by customers & the issues being reported here.

Please do not think you can use the app without it, I've been advised by their customer service not to do this, a couple of other people on the forums & other sites tell of one off payments going through & then subsequent payments being blocked, or not allowed.

I had no real qualms about putting money in, as I did not need access to it more than once or twice a month & in no particular hurry when I opened it. I also mistakenly thought the phone banking would suffice. Peculiarly, when I first used the phone banking they had no issue with this & transferred a largish sum of money for me with no argument.

Eskbanker, I now realise I made a big mistake putting a large sum of money in, there is no vendetta, the 1.25% rate does not bother me, I have waited over a month, chased the card reader early on in the intervening period, plus been given incorrect & misleading advice. I now just want access to my money, or it back ASAP, they are not prepared to do this, which is wholly unacceptable. Therefore I'm making my problems known publicly, which normally gets the desired results when a company thinks it can do whatever it likes. In this instance they seem to not care about their brand reputation, so I shall have to take it further via official & even more public means.

My advice to anyone, is avoid them, their IT systems, banking processes, staff training & customer service are all very poor. Any one of those by itself not to much of a problem, but combined it's terrible.
  • I second what PaulF1 says. I have written of my long saga with wrong advice, no card reader/card/pin, no access to money, payment being blocked on the app and hours spent on the phone trying to sort things out. To top all the agro that I have had, yesterday I received a text saying that my home phone number had been updated as requested. Needless to say I had NOT requested this. After hanging on for 20 minutes, the Fraud department told me that the system had closed a space in the phone number and triggered this text. Words fail me. Then on top of this, I tried to transfer what little money it would let me today. Forget it, no money transfer on a weekend. You can request this, but it will not go until Monday. Maybe First Direct could send in a task force to show them how it should be done?
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 July 2017 at 11:57AM
    I hardly dare mention the format, frequency and distance between holes of the paper statements when you people with issues receive them - it'll need an extended Watchdog episode this...
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Iris_Rose wrote: »
    Then on top of this, I tried to transfer what little money it would let me today. Forget it, no money transfer on a weekend. You can request this, but it will not go until Monday.
    This is untrue. As I have posted earlier, you can transfer money out to an existing payee today, and it arrives the other end within seconds. I have done it this morning. I did not try to set up a new payee and send money to them today, but I am pretty certain that would work as well.

The "can't do this, can't do that" with Ulster Bank is nearing hysteria levels.
  • gizz_mo
    gizz_mo Posts: 110 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2017 at 2:02PM
    Mattyw wrote: »
    Guys, I had to sign up just to help those who are panicked they cannot withdraw any money

Download the Ulster Bank NI app, you can setup payees there but you can only send £250 a day. Not perfect but it's still £250 a day vs nothing whilst you await your card reader.

I've done it and sent money to and from without issue.

Thanks Mattyw. This worked for me. I don't have a card reader,pin or debit card yet as I only ordered one today, however after reading this whole thread I came across Mattyw's post, logged into the mobile app and was able to set up a new payee and paid £20 to another account in my name and it was credited immediately. On the payment confirmation page it allows you to save the payee. The link next to the payee explains you can only pay up to a limit of £250 if its a recipient you haven't paid to before. I then logged back into the internet anytime banking site and my new saved payee was there.

SO....does that mean that if you set it up via the app, and pay a piddly amount first from the app which gets credited to your recipient in seconds, you can then pay any amount you want to within the prescribed limits, without any need to wait for the reader and the card and the pin? Anyone tried this? I would but i have no need to move any larger amounts at the moment.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    colsten wrote: »
    but I am pretty certain that would work as well.
    Why are you so certain?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Chino wrote: »
    Why are you so certain?
    As I am a glass half full person, and because there is nothing that suggests that a payee you set up with the card cannot be used straight away. And no, I am not going to set up a new payee now, as I don't need to make payments to a new payee. Anyone who does have that need and has their card/reader/PIN can try it for themselves.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,872
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 July 2017 at 1:09AM
    gizz_mo wrote: »
    Thanks Mattyw. This worked for me.
    SO....does that mean that if you set it up via the app, and pay a piddly amount first from the app which gets credited to your recipient in seconds, you can then pay any amount you want to within the prescribed limits, without any need to wait for the reader and the card and the pin? Anyone tried this? I would but i have no need to move any larger amounts at the moment.

http://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking/mobile-app-payments.html

"Pay someone you have never paid before up to £250 without using a card reader
    !
    There is no need to log into Anytime Internet Banking or find your card reader, simply open your mobile app and head to the Payments option on one of your accounts. You will see the option to 'Pay Someone New' at the top of the screen which you can use to send money to any UK sort code and account number.
    !
    Important Information
    You must be aged over 16 and have available funds to send from your account (including any overdraft facility)
    There is a maximum limit of £250 payments per working day which is seperate from daily withdrawal and Get Cash limits. You can make up to 5 payments per working day."

I tried the app and managed to w/d few £100s... but it said it wouldn't save the payee, and didn't offer me the option in a confirmation.

Amazingly in the conversations I had with the UB team manager & staff on Friday he, nor any of his staff mentioned this option, albeit less than ideal.

Unbelievable.

Thanks MattyW. :thumb:
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,262
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    A month after opening the account and waiting for the card (reader and PIN received), I was advised to cancel the original card as "it should've arrived by now" and a new one would be issued. I have no clue whether the original one was issued and lost in the post (doubtful, I have never had anything else go awol in the post), so it would seem more likely that it was never issued. So, going on previous experience, it is just as likely that the second request for a card will result in that not being issued either. It is not unreasonable for those of us stuck in limbo to want the equipment that is needed to operate the account properly, and as intended.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback