PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing the downstairs WC in a new build to a utility room

Options

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, there you go, another bunch of people arguing about Building Regs!

Building Control are very unlikely to approve a change from a building which currently complies with Part M to one which does not.

However they are also very unlikely to know about it unless you ask them. So entirely your choice to do what you like with your house but best not to ask for permission.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    This only applies to 'newly-erected dwellings', as stated earlier

I think the principle is that you can't carry out work which would result in the dwelling having a lower standard than those which applied when it was built:
    Regulation 4 states that building work should be carried out in such a way that, when work is complete:
    a. For new buildings or work on a building that complied with the applicable requirements of the Building Regulations: the building complies with the applicable requirements of the Building Regulations
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you plan to have kids in that house, I would keep the downstairs loo as running up and downstairs with a young child who needs to wee every 10 minutes is a real pain, as is bustling older kids out of the house when they always need a wee once shoes and coats are already on! It's something that makes it easier when you have guests too. We don't have a downstairs loo but I'd really like one and am hoping to convert the (very useful, storage-wise) cupboard under the stairs into one when we can.

Is there no way you could squeeze both a loo/sink and washing machine into the room? You can get sinks that are on top of the loo I think.
  • kunkj
    kunkj Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! Got completely waylaid since I made this post by delays in exchange and completion and everything else....Lots of food for thought here.

Interesting thoughts on accessibility/disability/building regs! If I do seriously consider it I would give planning a call, but for now I will stick a pin in it. Appreciate the link to building regs, G_M!

Mr.Generous I had actually thought about having a similar shed anyway, to stick my bike in along with everything else that needs to go in a shed! I do wonder if running power & water to it would prove a bigger pain than dealing with a cramped kitchen :think:

Re. elderly people & kids, don't really have many of those in my life(:cry:), but I definitely agree that a downstairs wc is great for when you have guests round. rach_k I just looked at some compact washing machines and was trying to work out if I could stick a washing machine under the sink! I've had a loo with a sink on top before (that toilet also had a heated seat so it was pretty luxurious....)

A friend has just bought a 3 bedroom with one bathroom upstairs and no other bathroom/loos. She is in favour of me keeping the downstairs wc which did make me wonder, how come you just bought a place with 2 less toilets than I have haha. If I come up with any creative/innovative approach I will be sure to update :wink: I look forward to future building regs debate!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kunkj wrote: »
    A friend has just bought a 3 bedroom with one bathroom upstairs and no other bathroom/loos. She is in favour of me keeping the downstairs wc which did make me wonder, how come you just bought a place with 2 less toilets than I have haha.
    Perhaps that's what she's now asking herself...?

TBH, in the short term, I'd be tempted to leave it as-is, and maybe start to stick some of the guff in there. If you find yourself using the loo and the guff getting in your way, then there's your answer. If, in a year, you find the guff has rendered the loo unusable and you've not even noticed, then there's your answer.
  • kunkj
    kunkj Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Haha yes, I think she may have wc envy. But then again, I have conservatory envy of her place so we are pretty even. And thanks AdrianC, I think that may be the best and most straightforward way to approach it! Also if anyone works for an appliance manufacturer, 'washing machine with sink' is definitely a gap in the market....
  • oystercatcher
    Options
    I have a disabled friend, unable to climb stairs and she cannot visit either of her adult children because both houses are without a downstairs toilet.

It's just possible they consider that an advantage though LOL !

An outdoor 'utility shed' may well be the best solution if it is possible.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would not get rid of the downstairs loo.

If you converted the lavatory to a "basin on top" type, would you have room to fit in a washing machine, perhaps a "top loader" type?

Or is there any room to extend your kitchen to create a utility area?
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have removed the toilet from the downstairs wc and put our washing machine in there. This was so that we could use the space in the kitchen for a dishwasher.

We have a very badly designed kitchen in our new build - u shape with no proper corner cupboards! So this is a better option than losing a cupboard to accommodate another appliance.

The pan and cistern are now safely up in the loft, and can easily be refitted if we move or if we fit a new properly designed kitchen - whichever comes first.

We are a couple with no kids, and have ensuite and bathroom on the 1st floor. As we mainly use the ensuite, the bathroom is always clean and tidy for visitors.

We knew we could easily manage without the downstairs wc as in our last house - which we gutted, we took the downstairs loo out early on in proceedings and it was the last thing we completed. In the meantime this was a handy room for storing all manner of things DIY related! So Adrian's suggestion of using it as a storage area for a while and seeing if you miss it is a good one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure