2016 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• FunBrum
    FunBrum Posts: 716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jess444 wrote: »
    You have inspired me to reduce my gas and electric bill FunBrum[/B Blankets on the couch last night whilst watching TV rather than put the heating on and lit some candles rather than the lamp. It was very cosy! I have loads of candles that people have bought me for presents so they will keep me going for a while.

Plan to get my sewing machine out next week and make myself some clothes. I have a bit of a fabric buying habit :o and now need to put it to good use.

Good for you[Bjjess 444/B]. I find that candles are a great source of heat especially when grouped together. I've started making my own and 're-using the tea light cases, and other containers to keep the cost down. :D

Made a batch of tomato soup last night with a huge tub of Tom's my sister gave me.
    I'm going to have to shop today, so it's a bargain hunt for me!:)
    Living a frugal retirement without treading on the planet :T
    Womble #17- £2,018.41 €2
    TURTLES NSD's 01/31
    FLC £3000/£2,328.12
    CCCC2016 #10 £19 monthly spends on clothes
    Wombled nectar points=728 Wombled Boots points=316
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Can't keep up with all the posts.
    My bank swaps have finally gone through. But Santander don't seem to have closed down the accounts from there end.
    I have had to use my savings to prop up my business and pay the rent as I am stuck at home and ill. I haven't been able to work all week. On the plus side it means I haven't used up my petrol allowance, and we haven't eaten much, but I had to use my cash £20 to get someone to get us bread, milk, and some TV dinners.
    But I will probably have to loose a lot from the fridge when I'm well enough to stand up long enough to sort it out.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all. I've not written for a couple of weeks, but have been reading along. I struggle to write on my tablet, it spells too many words wrong! Have been plodding along frugally. Food spends for the month are below target,but I will need more milk before February. Must try next month to buy fewer bargains and eat up more of what is already here. I now have enough meat and fish in the freezers for at least 3-4 months. And I'll need room for a pig or two and some lamb later in the year.

We have had the sheep scanned and we are expecting 12 lambs in March, from 6 ewes. Also DD1 is expecting her second child in September. Exciting news. I have ordered a polytunnel (different budget) which should be here next week. DD4's singing teacher has quit so need to find her another.

Must try to post more often, keep well everyone, M2m.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Hi everyone :) so have finalised my accounts for Jan - won't be spending anything else today or tomorrow and I am under on most of my accounts except my personal spends. I had helped out both of my children in Jan as they didn't have any money so if I hadn't of done that I would only be overspent in that budget by a couple of pound :D Still though need to realise my budget is a budget and not a target!

Food for the month was £138 :T so that means I can scoot over £20 to the debt over payment fund meaning we have managed to find an extra £133 this month :T

Had a bit of a financial disappointment today as my boss at the pub has taken me off a shift a week. He has finally done a regular rota, which is fantastic as up until now I haven't known when I'm working from one week to the next. But he put me down on a Thursday evening which I couldn't do as oh plays football so have no childcare. I'd asked to swap and he has come back saying he's taken me off that day. Decided it's fine. It means I am £50 short a month on my outgoings. But am confident I'll get an extra shift a month if someone is sick or needs time off or I can pick up ms assignments, or raise money through ebay. Really it has given me the kick up the butt to find a part time role that is more compatible with having a toddler and I can earn more so makes much more sense. Am feeling much more able to cope with life again now...

Today I am home alone with lo as oh has gone out. We have played all day, went to the local zoo and used our membership (£5pm) and took an apple and a drink each so was a free day :T Came home and had moroccan stew I'd put in the sc earlier mmmm there's enough for dinner tomorrow and lunch on Monday as well!

Feeling good about my efforts this month.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    Can't keep up with all the posts.
    My bank swaps have finally gone through. But Santander don't seem to have closed down the accounts from there end.
    I have had to use my savings to prop up my business and pay the rent as I am stuck at home and ill. I haven't been able to work all week. On the plus side it means I haven't used up my petrol allowance, and we haven't eaten much, but I had to use my cash £20 to get someone to get us bread, milk, and some TV dinners.
    But I will probably have to loose a lot from the fridge when I'm well enough to stand up long enough to sort it out.

Hope you feel better soon Mooloo xx
  • FunBrum
    Options
    I didn't end up buying much yesterday apart from a plant for my sister £3.65. She's not well and I thought it would cheer her up as well as to thank her for all that she does for me.:A

This month has been a good frugal month for me.:)

I managed 28 NSDs for January.
    £237.09 altogether for January's bills including groceries, £37.37, and £12 of that was for a gift!:T

I've manages to get a few free dinners and took my friend out for a free meal using discounts and a gift voucher.:D

I thought I'd managed to get my gas and electric down to £15 pm, but changed me tarif and its down to £12 pm! I just need them to send me my overpayments of £164.:cool:

I'm looking forward to carrying on with my frugal efforts throughout February.
    Hope everyone is doing well.:j
    Womble #17- £2,018.41 €2
    TURTLES NSD's 01/31
    FLC £3000/£2,328.12
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all

Wow FunBrum that's a lovely low electricity bill

Had a bit of a spendy weekend again. Nothing horrendous but looking back I had no need for the spends really. I'm annoyed at myself and this needs to stop.

The washing machine died over the weekend too which was a complete PIA. Much retrying, googling and having the back of the machine off got us nowhere. It was a budget machine around 5-6 years ago so no idea if that was good innings for it or not. However, weighing up the cost of a repair man call out and amount on top to do the repair work, we're already half way to a new machine with a bigger load capacity so I need to do some work today to research machines and suss out how to pay for it
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    FunBrum wrote: »
    ... I thought I'd managed to get my gas and electric down to £15 pm, but changed me tarif and its down to £12 pm! I just need them to send me my overpayments of £164.:cool: ...

How on earth do you manage £12.00 per month for gas and electricity? I am stunned! It costs me about £8 a month on standing charges alone, by the time I factor in fridge, freezer, lights, shower, hot water, cooking and keeping the place dry, let alone heated, I'm more than £12 per week at this time of year, never mind £12 a month - and that's just electricity - no gas, so coal and logs cost more than that each week. Do you live in a bedsit? :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • FunBrum
    edited 1 February 2016 at 5:13PM
    Options
    Frugaldom wrote: »
    How on earth do you manage £12.00 per month for gas and electricity? I am stunned! It costs me about £8 a month on standing charges alone, by the time I factor in fridge, freezer, lights, shower, hot water, cooking and keeping the place dry, let alone heated, I'm more than £12 per week at this time of year, never mind £12 a month - and that's just electricity - no gas, so coal and logs cost more than that each week. Do you live in a bedsit? :D

I'm with EDF for both and have signed up for their Blue + promise. I was fed up of paying more in standing charge than unit usage and that seemed like the best deal for me.

I spend 2 days/night's away from home and when I am there I'm very 'careful' with my usage.
    eg. I mainly shower at the gym, cook soups and casseroles in a slow cooker. Eat a lot of salad fruit, so 'clean' uncooked food. I listen to a wind up radio, read using one lamp or by daylight. Watch tv sparingly with just candles burning for a cosy glow. Luckily, I'm hot blooded and my flat is fairly warm due to being south facing, and retains the heat.
    Don't get me wrong. I put the central heating on to air the house and I have a gas fire if I get cold, but it's mild and I don't really feel cold, and if I do I layer up and get out the hot water bottles!
    I'm just as frugal with my water usage and it helps that I'm single and living on my own!:rotfl:

It's a 2 bed ground masonette with kitchen, wet room and a sitting room. Quite roomy actually. Lol
    Womble #17- £2,018.41 €2
    TURTLES NSD's 01/31
    FLC £3000/£2,328.12
  • bmma
    bmma Posts: 607 Forumite
    Options
    HI all been awol for a few days,January ended up with 22 NSD's and and spend
    of £170 my food 4 cats food and wool- which leaves the yearly budget £1,750,
    1/2/16 NSD
    8 blankets completed for the local animal shelter
    planning to tighten the finances even more in February
    surprise gift on Saturday of 4 bags of wool,all nice bright colours nearly full balls-no need to buy wool this monthx
    :hello::coffee:Penny Pincher in training
    Keep Calm Keep Vegan:):staradmin
    year's food budget £1,920
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills