"Stealing" out of rubbish bins/skips

Options

Comments

• mattk35
    mattk35 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Items in the skid are owned by the person renting the skid until the skid is picked up at which point it ithe items are owned by the skip owner.
    A polite knock at the door always works for me.
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Katie-Kat-Kins Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    Pound wrote: »
    But if they've abandoned it by throwing it in a skip then they're no longer the owner. At what point do they lose ownership? Is it when the skip is taken away or is it when it's tipped into a landfill? Or does the owner still 'own' it even when it's decomposing at the local tip?

They haven't abandoned it, they have placed it in a recepticle which they either own or have hired, the contents of which *may* be intended for the tip.

The thing is that you don't know why they are in that skip, the owner may be selling the waste on, they may be reusing it themselves. If they wanted to take action they could, you intend to permanently deprive them of their property. If they wish to bin it then that is their right.

If you want something ask, most skip owners will happily let you take it.

A skip is privately owned - not the same as throwing an item in a public litter bin.
  • paulw98
    paulw98 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    xenon2020 wrote: »
    It is theft unless you have permission from the owner. I'm pretty sure that most people won't mind stuff being taken out of their skip if you ask nicely.

Exactly, would you just take it out of their front garden if it wasnt in a skip? Who's to say it hasnt been put in the skip wrongly. Just ask. If i caught people taking stuff without asking id be very annoyed.
  • Gazing_On_Sunsets
    Options
    Heh heh. I moved into a rented flat and there was a massive old tv in there. I said to the agents I didn't want it, so they said just get rid of it. I put it in the back yard (it was a HMO) intending to sling it in my car when I went past the tip next. Anyhow, within a few hours it had gone. Sorted.

Except, a day later, there was a hammering on my door. A bloke stood there. Huge, he was. And he said, "are you the person what left that tv outside?"

I am an honest sort, and frankly he was terrifying. "yes...."

"Nice one. You got the remote, by any chance?"

(I did...)
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    xenon2020 wrote: »
    I'm sure that the contents of the skip become the property of the skip owner once the skip is taken away. It is then their legal responsibility to dispose of the contents properly.

It is their responsibility to dispose of the contents properly, but no skip is going to claim the contents are theirs.

In fact they go to great lengths to make it clear they do not own and are not responsible for the contents of the skip (the driver is responsible for it during transit, but only as a load).

Think about it, the skip company does not know what is in the skip. There could be all manner of poison in there. Do they really want to claim ownership of of the contents when they have no way of knowing what the contents are, and how much they will be fined if they are caught transporting it on the roads.
    Or worse, it may harm people and they may end up in prison!
  • nykied
    nykied Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    Heh heh. I moved into a rented flat and there was a massive old tv in there. I said to the agents I didn't want it, so they said just get rid of it. I put it in the back yard (it was a HMO) intending to sling it in my car when I went past the tip next. Anyhow, within a few hours it had gone. Sorted.

Except, a day later, there was a hammering on my door. A bloke stood there. Huge, he was. And he said, "are you the person what left that tv outside?"

I am an honest sort, and frankly he was terrifying. "yes...."

"Nice one. You got the remote, by any chance?"

(I did...)

That really made me laugh :rotfl:
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    When I cleared my fathers house I threw lots of very good things in to a skip desperately hoping someone would take them. In the end i even put the better things by the side of the skip with a notice saying 'please help yourself', and not one thing disappeared.

Now, if you'd put signs on everything saying '£10 or near offer', everything would have gone while your back was turned. Who wants something that is worth nothing? ;)
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a skip at work recently when doing renovations and people asked if they could take stuff. We were really pleased as it meant we only needed 2 instead of 3 because it gave us more room :)
  • asharon
    asharon Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as im concerned skip diving is fair game. After all your only making a use for things that would otherwise go to landfill, which can only be a good thing.

When I got my first flat I virtually kitted it out with things I scrounged.

Its amazing what people chuck out, most of which is perfectly fine, Ive had leather sofas. a wide screen telly, a cooker, fridges and freezers and countless other things.

Theres no shame in taking these things, the shame should be on the person who just chucks perfectly serviceable things in the skip when they could go to the many hundreds of charities that help the needy.

mba0863l.jpg

The problem is charities are very very picky. My neighbour offered an almost new 3 piece suite and it was rejected when they came because of a very slight tear under the arm.
    Nice to save.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    when i was homless we used to raid the charity shop bin and nabe the stuff they couldnt sell like computer games and electronic goods then wed sell it and make some money to stay in a local hotel
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure