We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Should i worry about conifer growth rate?

Options
2»

Comments

• seanoctagan
    Options
    my mum bought 2 tiny potted conifers from Woolworths (remember them!!) 30 years ago and planted them in our back garden next to an 8 foot supporting wall - they are now mighty 30 foot trees - not affected the wall at all, but my mum really wants to get rid of them - she's been quoted £1000 to cut down and dispose of them - any ideas for getting rid of them for a price closer to the £2 she paid for them 30 years ago?!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What height are they?

You can usually cut it back by a third. Trim the sides but do not cut into brown wood as it won't regenerate. Only cut back into green wood.

Leylandiii should be trimmed three times a year , between April and August, to keep them in check
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Conifers are generally shallow rooted but they can come down if it's very wet and windy so I would want them to be short enough not to damage property ie come down on a roof. They also can make the ground quite acidic so nothing will grow beneath them usually.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    What height are they?

You can usually cut it back by a third. Trim the sides but do not cut into brown wood as it won't regenerate. Only cut back into green wood.

Leylandiii should be trimmed three times a year , between April and August, to keep them in check

3x a year?!?! I must have been doing something wrong the last ten years in business cutting them once a year. Saying that, they are all neat and in check so maybe I've just been lucky !!!9786;
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, I think I only did mine once every 18 months, on average, though it might have been closer to once a year.

I had them for 20 years and they didn't get out of hand.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    3x a year?!?! I must have been doing something wrong the last ten years in business cutting them once a year. Saying that, they are all neat and in check so maybe I've just been lucky !!!9786;
    Davesnave wrote: »
    No, I think I only did mine once every 18 months, on average, though it might have been closer to once a year.

I had them for 20 years and they didn't get out of hand.

The plants sold as Leylandii don't all come from one source - the hybrid has appeared on lots of occasions. Each hybrid will have slightly different characteristics and some won't be as vigorous as others.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »

Good old RHS... plant advice for the unemployed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure