Best stakeholder pension?

Options
2»

Comments

• Susy909
    Options
    The chepeast I found was the Aviva personal pension. 0.4% and no charges on most of the aviva funds.

I think the Virgin one just invests it all in the ftse all share, I'm not sure if that is wise
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    Can you explain, as my understanding is that the addition of the LISA bonus is (in essence) the equivalent of the tax benefits (gross) on pension contributions, thereby making the overall financial benefits equal (that's my understanding).

There is a plus point to pensions if the person is likely to need means tested benefits at some point.

As far as I'm aware, funds in a LISA will be counted as savings, as they are accessible, and therefore reduce the amount of benefit paid or even prevent it completely. Funds in a pension will not be counted (at least until the person reaches State Pension Age)
  • garybarlowsbeard
    Options
    I'm looking to start a stakeholder pension so this is of interest to me. I can't seem to find an up to date comparison but have heard elsewhere that Aviva are good. Can anyone advise?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm looking to start a stakeholder pension so this is of interest to me. I can't seem to find an up to date comparison but have heard elsewhere that Aviva are good. Can anyone advise?

You wont find a comparison as there are hardly any providers left offering a stakeholder. Plus, with them being stakeholders, there is very little to compare.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    There is a plus point to pensions if the person is likely to need means tested benefits at some point.

As far as I'm aware, funds in a LISA will be counted as savings, as they are accessible, and therefore reduce the amount of benefit paid or even prevent it completely. Funds in a pension will not be counted (at least until the person reaches State Pension Age)
    Hi...Yes, I get that but I was specifically referring to greenglides tax advantages comment (which I don't believe to be correct):
    gleenguide wrote:
    If one of the children has no income and does not expect to have significant income then the pension may have significant tax advantages.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family