PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing the downstairs WC in a new build to a utility room

Very interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this!

I've just bought a three-storey, three bedroom new build. Top floor is the master bedroom, ensuite and study. 1st floor has two bedrooms and one bathroom. Ground floor has a small kitchen (2x3m), dining/living room and WC. I think the ground floor is a pretty standard layout, have seen it in number of different developers new builds in the last few years.

I really feel like three toilets in a three bedroom house is excessive, and that two toilets would be more than enough. Given that the kitchen is pretty compact, I'd personally appreciate having an extra room for laundry/storage/muddy boots.

Logistically, the WC is already connected to the plumbing, and there's a sink so I expect it to be pretty straightforward to convert it to a utility room. I'm not planning to do anything fancy or complicated, just cap the toilet off, stick a washing machine in there and a kitchen worktop on top. I've had a look at my local council planning guidelines and as far as I can tell 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with toilets doesn't contravene anything, and there's no structural change happening either.

I'm planning to be in the property a long time, so I'm also not so worried about any effect on the value that losing the WC would have, and again, if its straightforward to convert it to a utility room, hopefully it'll be straightforward to reverse it.

Is there anything I'm not thinking of? I've tried Googling this and ended up finding a bunch of people arguing about building regs! So possibly am not Googling the right things...

Any help or input much appreciated :)

Comments

• AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Iirc doesn't it have to be a toilet in every level for disabilities? Xxx
  • When you have a child, its handy to have a loo on every floor. Might reduce buyers if you get rid of the one on the ground floor where the kitchen is. Yes I know decades ago people used potties etc but its different now, expectations from a new build are different.

Some people will love having a laundry room on the ground floor, some will expect a bathroom.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AnnieO1234 wrote: »
    Iirc doesn't it have to be a toilet in every level for disabilities? Xxx
    Yes, part of the logic in having a ground floor toilet in newbuilds is because building regulations require it for accessibility reasons - I don't know whether it's forbidden to remove it but would seem logical.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Once it's your house you can do what you want.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    they are a very small space so you wont get much in there, I know the layout you are talking about and have given some thought to a sectional concrete garden building to use as a utility ...

http://www.lidget.co.uk/our-buildings/concrete-sheds/

something like this with power and water.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kunkj wrote: »

I'm planning to be in the property a long time, so I'm also not so worried about any effect on the value that losing the WC would have, and again, if its straightforward to convert it to a utility room, hopefully it'll be straightforward to reverse it.

This is the important bit.

The cost of converting it back in 10 or 15 or 20 years will be minimal compared to the benefit you'll get by having a handy utility room if your kitchen is cramped.

If you don't have any regular visitors who are elderly or disabled or might appreciate a downstairs toilet for any other reason then I say go for it. The rules about accessibility don't apply once you're living in it, unless you're also running a business open to the public I suppose!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2016 at 10:54PM
    You would not need planning consent so it is entirely up to you. Your home your choice.

Yes, I think you'd need the work to comply with Building Regulations, but that should be no issue at all.
    Some kinds of building projects are exempt from the Regulations, however generally if you are planning to carry out 'Building Work' as defined in Regulation 3 of the Building Regulations, then it must comply with the Building Regulations. This means that the Regulations will probably apply if you want to:
    • Put up a new building
    • Extend or alter an existing one
    • Provide services and/or fittings in a building such as washing and sanitary facilities, hot water cylinders, foul water and rainwater drainage, replacement windows, and fuel burning appliances of any type.
    https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200128/building_control/38/building_regulations
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    G_M wrote: »
    Yes, I think you'd need the work to comply with Building Regulations, but that should be no issue at all.

Even when the Building Regulations state that there needs to be a toilet on the ground floor? (looking at para 1.17 of Part M)
  • kunkj wrote: »
    Ground floor has a small kitchen (2x3m), dining/living room and WC.

The ground floor is where you'll spend most time and where any guests/visitors will be. You'll miss that ground floor WC if you convert it imho.
    Mornië utulië
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Even when the Building Regulations state that there needs to be a toilet on the ground floor? (looking at para 1.17 of Part M)

This only applies to 'newly-erected dwellings', as stated earlier
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport