cheque not out of date for 6 years

A cheque I had written dated January 2006, was presented and paid last week.
I thought a cheque was valid for 6 months, but was informed by LLoyds TSB it is valid for 6 years.

If I had known I would have put a stop on it years ago.

Comments

• sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i thought it was 6 months as well.
  • JayZed
    JayZed Posts: 731 Forumite
    From APACS:

Is it true that cheques are only valid for six months?

It is common banking practice to reject cheques that are over six months old to protect the payer, on the basis that payment may already have been made by some other means or the cheque may have been lost or stolen. However, this is at the discretion of individual banks. It should not be assumed that cheques in excess of six months old would automatically be rejected — the only certain way to cancel a cheque is to request that a stop be placed on it (although cheques backed by a Cheque Guarantee Card cannot be stopped). It is recommended that, if possible, customers in possession of cheques that are over six months old obtain a replacement. A cheque remains legally valid for six years.
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks !

Why is 6 years so special ?? Tax etc all have 6 year limits..
  • MissPop
    MissPop Posts: 948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It's such a pain when people cash cheques months (or years!) after they were written - someone did it to me, three months after I wrote it, and I wasn't expecting it, so I was left with an empty bank account for a fortnight!

Make £2020 in 2020 - £263.78/£2020

2020 totals
    Swagbucks - £100 | Prolific Academic - £44.54 | Qmee - £10 | PopulusLive - £50

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    moneypooh wrote: »
    Thanks !

Why is 6 years so special ?? Tax etc all have 6 year limits..

The Limitation Act 1980 .... sets a period beyond which, if no contact, debts cannot be enforced / pursued. It applies to most, but not all debt, and equally provides a statutory period, as above, for the legal life of an o/s cheque.

But if a bank notices the date ... all will decline to accept it after 6 months. The TSB response is only because it wasn't spotted!
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • thanks for telling us - they must need the money now!
  • The cashier should really reject anything 6 months old or older, but they aren't obliged to - they can (and usually do) quite easily leave it up to the mercy of the drawee's bank.

(I found this out the hard way at work... I usually check them all, and was swiftly told I don't need to...)
  • 6 years i'm afraid dears!!
    Loan-£3600 only 24 months of payments to go!!!
    All debt consolodated and cards destroyed!!
    As D'Ream would sing 'Things.....can only get better'!!!
  • Wow, well i never knew that one !!

I thought for years it was 6 months....
    JayZed wrote: »
    From APACS:

Is it true that cheques are only valid for six months?

It is common banking practice to reject cheques that are over six months old to protect the payer, on the basis that payment may already have been made by some other means or the cheque may have been lost or stolen. However, this is at the discretion of individual banks. It should not be assumed that cheques in excess of six months old would automatically be rejected — the only certain way to cancel a cheque is to request that a stop be placed on it (although cheques backed by a Cheque Guarantee Card cannot be stopped). It is recommended that, if possible, customers in possession of cheques that are over six months old obtain a replacement. A cheque remains legally valid for six years.
  • I have a cheque for £5 and a few pence from HMRC dated 2004. Will I be OK trying to pay this into my account or should I contact HMRC about it for a replacement? I too thought the limit was strictly 6 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure