What can I do when RBS refuse to remove a late payment from credit profile?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

RBS haven't handled this well by claiming that the T+Cs apply allowed them to take the overlimit amount and failing to supply of copy of those to the OP.

I agree that it's been pretty poor customer service by RBS (presumably the OP has a Relationship Manager, is that who the conversation has been with?) but as Ben pointed out in post #98 it's very unlikely that any of the unknown number of T&Cs that has applied over the life of the account would not have allowed them to take the overlimit amount.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    RBS_Sucks wrote: »
    They do say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I see some meaning in that saying.
    I wouldn't really call that sarcasm, just a bit of gentle exaggeration for effect - you're still avoiding the repeatedly-asked fundamental question though, i.e. what do your original Ts & Cs say about how changes will be handled? Surely you can see that this is pivotal as to whether RBS have erred here or not (as well as the matter of what the current Ts & Cs are)?
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    RBS_Sucks wrote: »
    You say I'm wrong but how can that be where only opinion is concerned?

But it's not about opinion, it's about what you have agreed with the bank.

Only you or they can provide that information, but the odds are that it will be along the lines of the examples given elsewhere in this thread. Do you disagree?
  • My BA American Express card - reverse of the statement says this:

Your minimum repayment is shown on the front of your statement.
    The minimum amount you must pay us each month will be the greater of:
    (i) £25 (or the total amount owing if less); and
    (ii) any interest, default fees, repayment protection insurance, overdue amounts and 1/12th of any annual fees or
    the full monthly fee (if applicable to the product you hold) plus 2% of the remaining balance.

Which is interesting as it does not suggest any over limit amount is automatically taken or added to my minimum payment due.

In the full online Card T&Cs - it says

The Minimum Payment Due is the highest of the following amounts:
    (1) £25 (or the total amount owing if less); or
    (2) any interest, default fees, repayment protection insurance and 1/12th of any annual fees or the full monthly fee (if applicable to the product you hold) plus 2% of the remaining balance.
    Then we round up to the nearest pound.

And so again, it does not make any mention of automatically adding the over-limit amount.

Supplying this as a data point - just to provide some counter to those that are suggesting "all cards do this"
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My BA American Express card - reverse of the statement says this:

Your minimum repayment is shown on the front of your statement.
    The minimum amount you must pay us each month will be the greater of:
    (i) £25 (or the total amount owing if less); and
    (ii) any interest, default fees, repayment protection insurance, overdue amounts and 1/12th of any annual fees or
    the full monthly fee (if applicable to the product you hold) plus 2% of the remaining balance.

Which is interesting as it does not suggest any over limit amount is automatically taken or added to my minimum payment due.

In the full online Card T&Cs - it says

The Minimum Payment Due is the highest of the following amounts:
    (1) £25 (or the total amount owing if less); or
    (2) any interest, default fees, repayment protection insurance and 1/12th of any annual fees or the full monthly fee (if applicable to the product you hold) plus 2% of the remaining balance.
    Then we round up to the nearest pound.

And so again, it does not make any mention of automatically adding the over-limit amount.

Supplying this as a data point - just to provide some counter to those that are suggesting "all cards do this"

If you are over your limit does not overdue cover this
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    You've very selectively quoted from your card's T&Cs. Here are some more quotes:

Firstly, here's where they say it's the cardholder's responsibility to stay within the credit limit, and warn you that they might not always be watching!...
    You must manage your Account so that the outstanding balance does not exceed the credit limit. However, we may approve Transactions that result in your balance exceeding your credit limit.
    And here's where they tell you that if they ask for it back you must pay it!...
    If we request, you also agree to pay us any amount by which you have gone over your credit limit immediately or together with your Minimum Payment.
    And finally, here's where they tell you how you'll be notified...
    The amount shown as due on the statement may therefore comprise the Minimum Payment Due, any arrears still outstanding and any over limit amount.
    So not really a "data point" is it? ;)

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/pdf/card-products/ba-credit-card/BACreditTCs.pdf
  • Lemonsqueezer78
    Lemonsqueezer78 Posts: 307 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2016 at 9:28PM
    Whoa there fella's - I didn't claim that going over your limit wasn't bad OR that it wasn't against the terms and conditions OR that you shouldn't check your statement.

I was simply showing that my card T&Cs do not state (see edit below) that over limit amounts are added to your minimum payment, and that it's therefore not necessarily the absolute norm that some posters are suggesting it is.

Edit - thank you Yorkshire - I actually did not see that section, so that is pretty clear (and I stand corrected) but I think it's strange that this info is not included in the actual section related to "how we calculate your minimum payment".
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Whoa there fella's - I didn't claim that going over your limit wasn't bad OR that it wasn't against the terms and conditions OR that you shouldn't check your statement.

I was simply showing that my card T&Cs do not state (see edit below) that over limit amounts are added to your minimum payment, and that it's therefore not necessarily the absolute norm that some posters are suggesting it is.

Edit - thank you Yorkshire - I actually did not see that section, so that is pretty clear (and I stand corrected) but I think it's strange that this info is not included in the actual section related to "how we calculate your minimum payment".

Because the over limit amount is nothing to do with the minimum payment ?
  • meer53 wrote: »
    Because the over limit amount is nothing to do with the minimum payment ?

But it is - in fact my monthly statement shows the amount I need to pay in a field called "minimum payment due" - which is where the amount, which would include the over limit amount, would be shown.

Its only a small observation, don't get me wrong. But it is curious that a area of the T&Cs dedicated to explaining in detail how my minimum payment is calculated doesn't include this one fact. But - as Yorkshire has highlighted - it is explained elsewhere so I obviously can' and won't claim the T&C's don't cover it. Or at least not the full version - the statement excerpt is still slightly misleading in my view but again, small point really and as I said, I'm not claiming you shouldn't go by your statement.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    the statement excerpt is still slightly misleading in my view
    As jones said above, the "overdue" wording relates to the overlimit amount (and any other overdue amount). We've already seen that this amount is repayable "immediately", therefore it becomes "overdue" there and then.

As to the wording of the 'summary' on the statement, then if I saw it was £2K more than I expected (using the OP as an example) I'd refer to my account T&Cs to see why.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure