PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Building reg's for conservatory

13»

Comments

• dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    I'm getting electric underfloor heating in my conservatory. It was a special offer from the company building it for February orders free if additional charge...

As I have solar panels, I am not that fussed over the fact it electric.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    dgtazzman wrote: »
    I'm getting electric underfloor heating in my conservatory. It was a special offer from the company building it for February orders free if additional charge...

As I have solar panels, I am not that fussed over the fact it electric.

Electric underfloor heating won't heat much more than the floor. :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Doozergirl
    just added a bit on heating. joined heating makes it part of the thermal envelope of the building, and within the scope of regs.

My comment about attempting to heat the town via their central heating and a polycarb roof must have been a bit too cryptic. ;)
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    The doors are the only issue.
    My comment about attempting to heat the town via their central heating and a polycarb roof must have been a bit too cryptic. ;)

and your comment that the doors were the ONLY issue, was not cryptic, or right ;)
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Electric underfloor heating won't heat much more than the floor. :o

Electric underfloor heating mats can be very effective, can have a much higher heat output than wet underfloor heating, up to 200 W/m2. With an insulation sheet below would be a good solution for a conservatory.
  • Doozergirl
    and your comment that the doors were the ONLY issue, was not cryptic, or right ;)

Thanks, I've edited to say main issue. I did talk about the heating and that issue is primarily addressed by the simple matter of turning the radiator off.
  • Hello all, I am not sure where to post. But please need desperate help. We were very close to exchanging contracts when we realised the seller does not have building regs for chimney breast removal which has been done around 22-25 years ago. I ofcourse now understand that we could have taken an indemnity insurance and moved ahead but I have already contacted the council.
    We asked the seller to provide us with building regs. He has denied saying that the work is too old to get building regs.
    Now obviously the council has on email that or property doesn't have building regs for the removal. All other documents are in place.

We can't apply for building regs until and unless we move in. The council has confirmed that it won't be a problem. But there might be additional work or cost involved if this wasn't done properly.

We really like the house. What do you suggest we do?
    1. Ask for a reduction in price by 20K

Do you think the council does send enforcement actions even though it knows now for some works as long as 25 years ago!

Please help!!
  • Doozergirl
    If even the works to provide extra support cost about £2k or less, how can you negotiate £20k off the asking price?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Post 28 is a duplicate:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5661633

and the poster has 2 IDs!
  • We opened up the wall between the conservatory and kitchen. Put bifold doors in and got building control to sign off the work. Then took the doors off and stuck them in the garage.
    We also have radiators connected to the main central heating but have also put in underfloor heating, but didn't need it in the winter. The conservatory has a half height brick wall running all the way around except for the patio doors. The polycarbonate room was converted to a insulated tiled roof by the previous owners. Its plenty warm enough and much nicer with no doors to the kitchen.

Typhoon2000, When you brought the house did the previous owner had building control to sign off the roof? Would like to know as I want to do the same to mine. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure