CIFAS and Metro Bank

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone from MSE can help me. I used to have a Barclays bank account since a young age and it was closed down near the end of 2014 for fraud (not intentional). Unknown to me, they had placed a CIFAS CAT 6 marker on my file.

One week after the account closure, I applied for a young persons account at HSBC - the account was closed after depositing £20 of cash at the branch (I was told to check my credit score and obviously don't have one as I'm under 18).

Further to this, I decided to open up a Natwest account as I was pretty frustrated that the account with HSBC had been closed for no reason. The Natwest account had been open with no quibbles and I had been using the account roughly for 2-3 weeks until I decided to open up a savings account - after opening the savings account, a day later I realise that I had incorrectly provided Natwest my mothers NI Number instead of mine, realising this I informed customer support who promised to resolve this very quickly although in turn they closed both of my accounts.

Fast forward a couple of days, I decide to open up a Halifax account and a Santander account although I did not use the Santander Account - my primary account was with Halifax. I had been using Halifax for more than a year and had even started trading Bitcoins on my account (big mistake), so I decided to open a separate account with Halifax to separate the bitcoin trades and my personal spending/income. One week after opening the new current account with Halifax, they told me to come into branch with proof of the Bitcoin sales. I went into branch with the proof, they submitted it onto the system and decided to close my account - giving me a cheque of my account balance.

At this stage, I decide to cash my cheque from Halifax into my Santander account. I decide to use my Santander account for primary spending and came to the conclusion that I should not trade Bitcoins with this account. All goes well for more than a year, I get a new job, and decide to open a savings account with Santander, and all of a sudden my account is blocked and is going to be closed within 30 days. Upon opening th savings account, Santander have run some extra checks and informed me that there is a CIFAS entry under my name and that I cannot bank with them until that has been removed (another 3 years).

Thankfully, during the time I was with Santander, I had decided to open up a B account at Yorkshire Bank as I had an interest in the app that they had created. I've currently moved all my expenses and income to this account but I am worried whether they will run additional checks once I turn 18 (2 months) and fine out about the CIFAS marker unless they already know about this.

I also have a Metro Bank Account (after the cifas marker was put on my record) for more than 2 years and am wondering what their stance is on opening accounts with CIFAS Category 6 marker - I'm assuming that they're just more cautious? (For anyone wondering, I have a cash account with them).

Thanks for your time and helping!

Comments

• JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    HJDot wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone from MSE can help me. I used to have a Barclays bank account since a young age and it was closed down near the end of 2014 for fraud (not intentional).

This is the bit we need more details on. What was the fraud and how was it not intentional since it happened on your account in particular?
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • HJDot
    HJDot Posts: 4 Newbie
    It was a scam (not know at the time) that I accidentally got involved in (through an email). Long story short, someone from overseas sent me some money and requested that I send it to a 'contractor' via Western Union overseas. I was younger at the time and that was part of the reason I fell for this trap.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    HJDot wrote: »
    It was a scam (not know at the time) that I accidentally got involved in (through an email). Long story short, someone from overseas sent me some money and requested that I send it to a 'contractor' via Western Union overseas. I was younger at the time and that was part of the reason I fell for this trap.

You didn't get "accidentally" involved in it... you did it, because you were told you could keep a cut.

That's justifiable - you were involved in money laundering at best. Unfortunately your chances of getting a bank account for the foreseeable future are slim at best.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • HJDot
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    You didn't get "accidentally" involved in it... you did it, because you were told you could keep a cut.

That's justifiable - you were involved in money laundering at best. Unfortunately your chances of getting a bank account for the foreseeable future are slim at best.

I wasn't told I could keep a cut. I was informed that it was a remote job, they had given me tasks to complete (such as market research online) which I had done. They asked me to transfer the money after doing some work - at the time I believed it was legitimate.

Back to my initial question, what do you think the outcome of this would be? Will Metro Bank decide to close the account when I turn 18?
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think only metro can tell you this tbh, but I don't see the risk being any worse for them as time goes on(if anything your showing you've changed ways)
  • S_I9
    S_I9 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Are you 100% sure you've got category 6 misuse of facility? Did you SAR CIFAS? Did you open the Metro account after the fraud entry? Did they ever ask questions about cifas marker? Do you still use the metro account today?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    S_I9 wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure you've got category 6 misuse of facility? Did you SAR CIFAS? Did you open the Metro account after the fraud entry? Did they ever ask questions about cifas marker? Do you still use the metro account today?
    ....and sixth and seventh questions: did you not see that this thread has been dormant for over four months and that OP hasn't been logged on since then?
  • HJDot
    Just an update for those who helped and may be interested, spoken to Barclays recently and they have managed to remove the CIFAS marker. It was a category 6 misuse of account and I am banking with Metro Bank till this date.
  • Hi HJDot,

I’m currently in the same issue as you with Barclays and was wondering how did you get them to take off the CIFAS CAT 6 marker ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure