A Journey of Many Pounds Starts With a Single Penny

Comments

• Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Can only dream of cable / fibre/ fast stuff here. What would us neighbours talk about if our internet speeds every catch up with the city? The joys of rural life !
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June 2016 at 9:42AM
    Watty1 wrote: »
    Can only dream of cable / fibre/ fast stuff here. What would us neighbours talk about if our internet speeds every catch up with the city? The joys of rural life !

I think I am an urbanite at heart. Everytime I think of moving out of London things like this make me hesitate. Talking to neighbours:eek: ;)
    Well I have voted so now I can try to ignore the wall to wall coverage of the referendum speculating about a result that won't be known until tomorrow.

I treated myself to a coffee on the way to work today because it was miserably wet and I was hungry. Yesterday was slightly spendy as I had to chip in towards a present in work (an expected cost) and buy some stuff the boys needed for school (an unexpected cost).

Mr Gnome is doing a good job arguing with G&E supplier over our mega bill. It looks like he can get us backdated on to a cheaper tariff which would make it worth staying with them as it would reduce the cost to date and put us on a tariff which is within a few £ p.a. of the best deal we have found.

We have finalised the details of our wills which is a weight off my mind.

Payday tomorrow which means the end of the Xbox squeeze :j
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Watty1 wrote: »

:rotfl: This just about sums my village up too! :D
    LadyGnome wrote: »
    I think I am an urbanite at heart. Everytime I think of moving out of London things like this make me hesitate. Talking to neighbours:eek: ;)
    Well I have voted so now I can try to ignore the wall to wall coverage of the referendum speculating about a result that won't be known until tomorrow.

I treated myself to a coffee on the way to work today because it was miserably wet and I was hungry. Yesterday was slightly spendy as I had to chip in towards a present in work (an expected cost) and buy some stuff the boys needed for school (an unexpected cost).

Mr Gnome is doing a good job arguing with G&E supplier over our mega bill. It looks like he can get us backdated on to a cheaper tariff which would make it worth staying with them as it would reduce the cost to date and put us on a tariff which is within a few £ p.a. of the best deal we have found.

We have finalised the details of our wills which is a weight off my mind.

Payday tomorrow which means the end of the Xbox squeeze :j

I cannot think of anything worse than living in London! Just shows we're all different, eh?

I've voted and unsure whether I made the "right" decision. Trying not to think about the result or I'll be up all night refreshing the internet.

Well done re. the G & E. :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • LadyGnome
    Well, that was an interesting result. I think I am going to fix my mortgage rate as soon as possible. Fix currently expires in November so I can fix the rate from Aug. I don't think we can assume interest rates will stay this low in the medium term. I am so glad that we have been taking a prudent approach over the last few years and haven't overstretched ourselves. I think we may be in for some considerable economic uncertainty.

Payday today so something positive to think about. One step closer to FI. I did the accounts tidy up yesterday. Cleared one bill shortfall completely and allocated £22 to each pot plus the other bill shortfall.
    I've sent an OP of £205 to the mortgage today and will do the rest of the money shuffle this evening or tomorrow.
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I would fix asap too, it's surely only going one way now....
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 June 2016 at 7:03AM
    I've just read you diary ladygnome I'm loving your spreadsheets and the way you split things. I love a spreadsheet and have loads of virtual accounts with savings in for all sorts but definitely taking inspiration from your splitting rather than focusing on one thing. We've just started on the MF journey ('hampered' by the desire for an extension) and have just up'd our game as we want options in the future too. We to have a BTL (not MF unfortunately) but it works for us. Looking forward to following your journey. PF.
  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Adding to the internet speeds from another rural dweller here, it's a massively exciting day when we go out and hit 3G - it's like Christmas arrived early.

Vote didn't go the way I expected and I wasn't sure how to vote either.. there's a huge petition ongoing to get a second vote done.. I reckon it would be interesting to see which way that went!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Vote didn't go the way I expected and I wasn't sure how to vote either.. there's a huge petition ongoing to get a second vote done.. I reckon it would be interesting to see which way that went!

*Very* interesting. Was looking after DD yesterday and caught a few seconds of the Wr1ght Stuff (not something I'd usually watch!) and the first caller voted for leave based on a premise that was entirely false (he believed that the EU had damaged his right to work a reasonable number of hours, whereas they had enacted legislation that *protected* this).

A second vote where both sides were kept to a more rigorous standard of fact would be a great idea. Then again, politics and fact don't always go hand in hand :eek:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm wondering about this thing of there being no official exchange rate right now - that family wedding I'm not at, it's in Euro land, and 80% of my family are there - I'll bet they didn't buy euros beforehand! It'll be interesting to hear what stories they tell.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • LadyGnome
    Adding to the internet speeds from another rural dweller here, it's a massively exciting day when we go out and hit 3G - it's like Christmas arrived early.

I like the fact that there is also a petition for London to declare itself an independent city state. The difference across the country is very telling. I have family in South Wales and they feel totally cut off from decision making in Westminster and the EU, hence the leave vote.
    *Very* interesting. Was looking after DD yesterday and caught a few seconds of the Wr1ght Stuff (not something I'd usually watch!) and the first caller voted for leave based on a premise that was entirely false (he believed that the EU had damaged his right to work a reasonable number of hours, whereas they had enacted legislation that *protected* this).

A second vote where both sides were kept to a more rigorous standard of fact would be a great idea. Then again, politics and fact don't always go hand in hand :eek:
    This reminds me of Jeremy Paxman's standard approach to interviewing politicians which was along the lines of "so how is this lying b@st@rd lying to me this time" There are some very genuine politicians but they are rarely the ones you see seeking the limelight. The standard of political debate on both sides was woeful.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I'm wondering about this thing of there being no official exchange rate right now - that family wedding I'm not at, it's in Euro land, and 80% of my family are there - I'll bet they didn't buy euros beforehand! It'll be interesting to hear what stories they tell.

I think people will have a better idea by Monday/ Tuesday if the markets are going to continue to wobble or if the £ will stabilise. I work in the City and most people we so stunned and many had been up half the night so people might have a clearer perspective by early next week. (Disclaimer - That is a hopeful statement not a prediction based on any factual evidence).
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport