When are you a grown up?

Comments

• Pennysmakepounds
    Pennysmakepounds Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 October 2016 at 1:17PM
    Happier_Me wrote: »
    At 41, I am married, 2 kids, have a serious 'grown ups' job (god knows how I got that!), have a mortgage, pay into a pension and spend time planning for early retirement.

But I know I am not a grown up because:

I get uncontrollably excited whenever we do anything remotely different.

I love Lego Land, Butlins, Chessington...anything aimed at children in the 8-12 years age range.

I want grandchildren not because I want grandchildren, but because I need a valid reason to go to all of the above when I am in my 60's and 70's

I dedicate much of my time to making my kids laugh (eye rolls count too)

If my 11 year old daughter has her friends over, I get 'the talk', which involves her instructing me in the ways of sensible parenting!

If I am being serious, then I am definitely acting

I am almost as childish as my husband.

I want to retire early not because I am sensible but so I can completely drop the pretence of adulthood and do all of the above full time.

Ditto...

Its hard work being a grown up....I just want to have fun :)

I'm the 4th child in our house...so the OH Keeps telling me :)
    :jTo be Young AGAIN!!!!...what a wonderfull thought!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2016 at 8:44AM
    Sam_Fallow wrote: »
    When you are in a position to pass something on to the younger generation and know they will benefit from your experience, then you are a grown up.

:rotfl:I might rephrase that personally imo - as when you know they are a generation younger than you and acting like they are two generations younger and trying to bait you and you just keep your mouth shut and let them "jump up and down" and try to get a rise from you and wait for karma to deal with them.:cool:

Sign of being a grown-up being "not taking your sh*t out on other people" and "kicking the cat" any time life isn't working out for you.
  • what you wear is completely your choice! So wear what you want.
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Happier_Me wrote: »
    At 41, I am married, 2 kids, have a serious 'grown ups' job (god knows how I got that!), have a mortgage, pay into a pension and spend time planning for early retirement.

But I know I am not a grown up because:

I get uncontrollably excited whenever we do anything remotely different.

I love Lego Land, Butlins, Chessington...anything aimed at children in the 8-12 years age range.

I want grandchildren not because I want grandchildren, but because I need a valid reason to go to all of the above when I am in my 60's and 70's

I dedicate much of my time to making my kids laugh (eye rolls count too)

If my 11 year old daughter has her friends over, I get 'the talk', which involves her instructing me in the ways of sensible parenting!

If I am being serious, then I am definitely acting

I am almost as childish as my husband.

I want to retire early not because I am sensible but so I can completely drop the pretence of adulthood and do all of the above full time.

Spot on.

I was fortunate enough to be able to retire early at 55 :T

I am having a ball, I loved my job and it was well paid so it came as a shock to realise that I don't miss it one little bit and to find out that I was never meant to work!

I love Lego, I have loads of Technic and build clocks, gearboxes and other engineering based stuff.

I've become something of an amateur archaeologist volunteering for a local archaeological company. I've done survey work, Ground penetrating radar and geophysics as well as excavation on Saxon, Viking and Medieval sites all around the area

I bought myself a narrowboat and disappear for weeks sometimes and two days ago I picked up a very well looked after 7 year old Triumph Bonneville off fleabay and haven't stopped grinning since.

Two of my friends watched me being happy for two years and decided that they wanted some of what I had and retired.

One lasted a year then went back to work. They couldn't work out what I did all day, they were bored to tears.

I took them on the boat, persuaded them to try volunteering on one of the digs, took them to motor museums and other places but they weren't impressed.

The other plays golf once a week and watches TV!!!

It turns out that they'd grown up and got boring.

In an hours time I'm picking up the girlfriend and we're off to the Stafford County Showground to a Classic bike and Mechanics show, I need some hooligan exhausts for the Triumph, very grown up :rotfl::p

Another good thing to come out of my early retirement is that both my children have seen how happy I am and want the same. They have started planning and saving hard for their own retirement.:T:T:j
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • Lily-Rose_3
    Lily-Rose_3 Posts: 2,732 Forumite
    'Happier me' AND 'Mr Toad,' you both sound like someone I would want to be friends with!!! :D

In fact a few of you on here sound like great fun! :D

I love doing crazy so-called childish things too, and although my daughter has left home now, I had a ball with her in my 40s, at rock concerts, dancing and singing along to the songs, and feeling like a teenager again. :D She was only 11-15, so I wasn't keen on her going to these concerts 50 miles away that finished at 11pm, so I went with her. We would book a Travelodge room sometimes, because our last train home was 11-ish and we nearly missed it twice! I had some great times with her. :)

Ditto with the zoo, theme parks, the woods, the seaside. Sometimes we would go alone, sometimes with her dad (my hubby,) sometimes we would take one or more of her pals.

I love going to the woods and the river with my nephews too, and playing hide and seek, and pretending we're in a zombie film. :D

I also love video games and Disney and soft toys in my bedroom and a film star calendar on my wall and the latest chart music in my car, and I apologise for NOTHING.

When I was 25, I actually had a woman at work once who was 5 years older than me, mock me because my boyfriend (now husband) had bought me a big teddy bear with 'I love you' emblazoned on it for Valentine's Day. 'Aren't you supposed to be a grown up?' she asked sarcastically, rolling her eyes...

Then when me and my hubby bought a new car that was £3000 cash and £2000 finance, she called me irresponsible for 'loaning money.' (Even though 60% of the car was paid for in cash!)

I just put it down to jealousy, because no-one ever bought her anything. She called me childish; yet at the age of 32, she started having a bunch of one night stands because she wanted to get pregnant, before it was too late. And she called me childish and irresponsible! :rotfl:

I pity people people who mock and berate people for still having a bit of child in their souls, and who seem devoid of a sense of humour, and who just don't know how to have fun, and who mock those who do. I'd hate to be like that.
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Reading these posts I'v realised I need to grow-down and get some fun back into my life....I think I will start by winding up alarm clocks in a shop...not done that for years...folowwed by a huge bloomin ice cream....
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • Being a grown up is a state of mind, not a state of dress.
    I'm in my 50's and will wear what i want.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • Mr_Toad
    k6chris wrote: »
    Reading these posts I'v realised I need to grow-down and get some fun back into my life....I think I will start by winding up alarm clocks in a shop...not done that for years...folowwed by a huge bloomin ice cream....

My girlfriend hates it when I go shopping with her because I can't resist the kitchen timers. :rotfl:

It has to be done, the more the better. I always set one at five minutes then one a minute for as many timers as I can get my hands on.

I used to say nothing and then they'd start going off and I'd get the 'look'. Now I go and find her and tell her "you've got four and a half minutes until the timers start :)"

On the upside I never have to go to Ikea anymore.

They have pallets full of the things and I have to start at ten minutes to give myself time to do loads before they start going off! Last time I was there with her I was gone ages and she came to find me, by then I'd set over 40 of them :T
  • Mr toad

I did that in magaluf a long time ago but with those parrots that repeat back everything they hear. Must have had about 20 or so going all at once and when the first one hears something it says it back and that causes a chain reaction to the rest as the first one goes of again.....until they get turned off or the batteries die.

BANNED FROM SHOP lol
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr toad

I did that in magaluf a long time ago but with those parrots that repeat back everything they hear. Must have had about 20 or so going all at once and when the first one hears something it says it back and that causes a chain reaction to the rest as the first one goes of again.....until they get turned off or the batteries die.

BANNED FROM SHOP lol

Excellent!

Life is full of opportunities for a little harmless fun :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure