Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 13th Feb 17, 8:03 AM
    • 2,849Posts
    • 21,256Thanks
    ziggy2407
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/02
    • 13th Feb 17, 8:03 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/02 13th Feb 17 at 8:03 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)
Page 2
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Feb 17, 3:27 PM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 16,977 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Afternoon Campers,
    Where HAS today gone? I just can't imagine how it's got to after 3pm. Oh well, some useful money saving stuff so here goes:
    *Did my mid-month budget check-in. Have had to via an extra sum to this month's grocery budget in order to deal with the overspend. I shall be doing a really crack meal plan for next week, I can tell you!!
    *Checked for £300 radiator refund. Yes, it's there. Now have to kind of offset normal payments to CC by paying them across to Loan Pay Down Fund instead.........don't ask......it's complicated, but I'm confident it will mean that my February & March budget will not be affected & the money will end up back where we want it to be. Was able to pay across £138-12 of it today, which made me feel our LPDF had, had a bit of a boost.
    *Paid another 50p into my sealed pot.
    *Rounded up small change for shrapnel pot.
    *Entered 1 competition & 1 prize draw.
    *Did quite a few surveys - there's a Ugov around today that's paying £2, so worth looking out for if you do those.
    *Contacted potential ebay buyer who messaged me yesterday 10 mins after auction was up to see if I was intending to re-list. 'Yes'...then re-listed all items. Wonder if she'll put a bid in. Item has been listed umpteen times. Isn't it funny how this happens & then someone suddenly spots it just when you think you might give up.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Did rubber chicken. It wasn't a very big chicken, but it did roast dinner for 4 yesterday, sandwiches & a container of meat for making a stew later this week. Carcass & gribbly bits currently in slow cooker for stock (which will also go into the stew).
    *Replenished scrap notepad on my desk using clean-on-one-side scrap paper.
    *Free entertainment - started listening to new audiobook (which I like playing when I'm busy in the kitchen), catching up with a tv prog, knitting & starting new library book.
    *Laundry done overnight on cheap tariff. Also did a full-price load afterwards to maximize use of heated airer as it was already switched on to dry first load.
    *General tidying away & filing of financial paperwork.
    *Downstairs heating off until much later. It's warmed today. The sun is shining & I've also turned an upstairs radiator down a notch.

That's it. Oh no, hang on, I was going to chuck in my two pennorth on the stilton. Not usually much in the way of cheese leftovers in our house, but I have successfully used leftover stilton in pasta-bakes. It goes really nice with bacon, but as it's a strong flavour, you don't really even need any meat, as it is fine with mushrooms, onions, garlic & whatever you usually like to use. It melts well, so I think that's why it makes such good ones. Oh, & I've put it in quesadillas & toasties too. I like strong cheese, but it does seem mellower when it's melty. Oh & finally, mr f once did a posh shepherds pie recipe (it might have been Tom Kerridge recipe?) where stilton was added to the mash & it was really yum.......the nephews scoffed it straight down without even querying the flavour of the mash.
    Now I really am going.
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £360
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £230
    • ClootiesMum
    • By ClootiesMum 13th Feb 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 9,968 Thanks
    ClootiesMum
    You are doing great Clootiesmum
    Originally posted by Bobarella

Thanks Bob I will get there

Well - today I have managed - all my listy

DH is off tomorrow so I'll have the car to do the runny about things that need done. I do have the camper in the drive but I'm not comfortable taking it out at the moment unless necessary (nervey stuff - ironic considering I've driven this thing from one end of the country to another)

Am away to light the fire now as the temp is dropping below its high of 5 degrees today....

Have a good night y'all
    Last edited by ClootiesMum; 14-02-2017 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Grammar
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Feb 17, 4:19 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 17,258 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Ziggy, thanks for starting us off

Bob, raising a glass to March with you!

Maria, glad the lambing is going well, it can't be easy in this weather. We have lots of reservoirs near us with sheep grazing on the surrounding grass (electric fence around the water, obviously!) I haven't noticed any lambs but maybe they are all really just there to keep the grass down (or maybe they take them off to a lambasted nag shed.) EDIT Seriously? Lambasted nag?? Lambing shed! Damned iPad

Allthe7s, hello and welcome!

Re the Stilton, at an old job we had the worst stink ever (and this is from someone that loves stinky cheese) from the fridge so I called facilities who tracked it down to a big box of stinky cheese and then wheeled it off in their trolley. A couple of days later the editor of our sister mag was making a bit of a kerfuffle and demanding the CCTV be checked. It turned out the cheese was some special kind that he'd called in to be photographed and he thought someone had stolen it I had to fess up (luckily it had already been shot) and forwarded him my 'case resolved' email from facilities to prove it

I am off work today with a dicky tummy and lack of sleep because of said tummy. I have at least put some of my time to good use though...

I've checked the 'entitled to' calculator and apparently with my new lower wage and DH being on a low wage we will be entitled to some working tax credits

We went out to the pharmacy and while I was there I exchanged a flower arrangement I got for free to one I like better. There was £2 over so we used it for DH to buy me a Valentines card, who said romance is dead?

I'm hoping to get down for the YS reductions later, neither of us feel like a big dinner tonight so I will cook for the teens but hope for some YS sandwiches for us.

Hope you are all having a good day
    Last edited by FatVonD; 13-02-2017 at 4:24 PM.
    Lunches brought to work in August 0/22 Money saved to date (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal)

Make £5 a day in July £71.45/£155 (June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Feb 17, 4:49 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 4,425 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    FatVonD, I did chuckle about the cheese!
    Foxgloves, thank you for the cheese suggestions

Todays list
    * Kids to breakfast club for free Done
    * Gym - class done and filled water bottle there Done
    * Breakfast was ys hot cross buns - I've frozen what was left Done
    * Check luckyphone Done
    * Check fpl Done
    * Check numberplate lotto Done
    * Check banking/update spreadsheets Done
    * Clean kitchen using stardrops and micro fibre cloths
    * Wash a load on 30 degree wash Done
    * Hang washing on the line as per Dawn Done yay its dried too
    * Put away dry washing and only iron what needs it
    * Cook meat ready for tea so long as its defrosted Done
    * Make lunches for family for tomorrow Done
    * Start packing for our week away
    * Update freezer inventory & useup box list Done
    ** Prepped veggies from the fridge ready for meal tonight. Kids/sis/niece having cocktail sausages that I got ys for 2p/bag after xmas with veggies & sweet potato mash
    ** Made broccoli & stilton soup
    ** Took some fruit out of the freezer to make some yogurt go further for us all tonight. Stewing apples with some summer berries now
    ** Reserved some books from the library for ds
    ** I forgot to add a biggie for dh here the other day!! We went to Mr T's and dh said he'd stick with the cheaper coffee we'd tried (the 2nd one we'd tried) this is going from £3.83/100g to 97p/100g
    ** Kids outside playing with a football instead of being nagging to be on the xbox win - win free exercise & no energy costs!
    ** Split a pack of raisins into reuseable tuperware pots for the kids fruit snacks at school.

Will hopefully add more as I go but the washing machine has finished so I better get cracking!
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 13-02-2017 at 4:51 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Feb 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3,805 Posts
    • 23,730 Thanks
    allydowd

I've checked the 'entitled to' calculator and apparently with my new lower wage and DH being on a low wage we will be entitled to some working tax credits
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    If you get tax credits you might be entitled to help with health costs.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £3550
    Survey Rewards 2017: £91
    Swim for Sanity: 3700m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Feb 17, 7:58 PM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 33,492 Thanks
    DawnW
    Good morning all,
    Dawn, I hadn't thought about hanging my washing outside Load has just finished so I'll do that now!
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    Mine pretty much fully dried today 1LL! Nice windy, sunny day It will only need short spell in the airing cupboard

• La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 13th Feb 17, 7:58 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 17,685 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi gang

I've got a £3 survey in my inbox so that will do nicely

The WM is on 30 deg and I'll put that on the airer when it's done.
    Watching something on net flix just now. Great value entertainment

OH is working job#2 tonight - just a few quid but every little helps as they say.

Later I'll be reading a free kindle book - use this link https://goo.gl/LBFXHR

Hopefully an early night here!

xxx
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 13th Feb 17, 8:00 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,656 Thanks
    angelpye
    Wow productive day for all so far!

Managed to do most on my list and the budget is finalised plus a day trip organised for half term next week - we are going to the zoo, zoo, zoo! How about you, you, you? Its off peak still so although costs still its not as spendy as it could be and I have resisted all invites of pints in order to justify it

Surveys been off radar today so will take a look now and see if any around.

Have a fab evening!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 13th Feb 17, 8:14 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 5,191 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Hi all
    - NSD today
    - took cheap porridge pot to work because I'm still suffering from jet lag and didn't have chance before I needed to take DD to school and me to work.
    - lunch provided by work
    - check bank accounts today- getting frustrated as waiting for expenses to come in
    - sold 2 eBay items that day. Like buses. Will wrap in recycled envelopes / paper.
    - FPL and comps on Facebook
    That's all for me, LP x
    Womble #28 £2,094.56
    Pay off all debts by Xmas 2017 #40 £2800/£5865 Christmas 2017 Saving #11 £85/365
    Competition wins £11,840

• Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 13th Feb 17, 8:19 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 3,134 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Right things seem have to lost focus in the last few days, it is amazing how you loose the money focus.

- Cupboards and fridge full after a big shop so no need to buy extras this week and stocked up on store cupboard bits as I have a coupon for £9 off.
    - Used Coupon code from MSE to buy shoes in the sale but still gone on the CC which I am trying to pay off, so made another payment against it.
    - Eaten out for two lunches but seen friends which is nice both have been at golden arches which isn't great but the only choices at the venues.
    - Tomorrow I will take lunch to work and have a NSD and the same until Friday.
    - Friday planning low spend day meeting up with Mummy friends and take the kids for a play date.
    - Make sure I pay a chunk into savings when tax credits arrive later in the week.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Feb 17, 8:51 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 4,425 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    yay Dh said he liked the soup He's packed half of it to go with his sandwiches for lunch at work tomorrow
    Use up is going really well. The concoctions may get a bit stranger as the week goes on though!

Dawn, my load did dry Happy days
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Feb 17, 9:09 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 17,258 Thanks
    FatVonD
    If you get tax credits you might be entitled to help with health costs.
    Originally posted by allydowd
    Ooh, thanks, Ally, I will look into that, I have lost a couple of fillings and today bought some temporary stuff to patch them up until I can afford it.

Lotte, is Golden Arches McDs? If so pick up a Metro on Thursday as they usually have their coupons in it on that day. Usually £1.99 for a bun and fries.
    Lunches brought to work in August 0/22 Money saved to date (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal)

Make £5 a day in July £71.45/£155 (June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Feb 17, 9:18 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 17,258 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I got a good haul of YS stuff tonight, there was tons of it and only four of us there. DH came with me and found it all a bit degrading, I was silently patting myself on the back at my ability to fit in anywhere

We got:

2 packs turkey strips 53p each
    2 finest shepherd's pie 56p each
    Finest piccolo tomatoes 24p
    Raspberries 30p
    2 pots of pasta salad 30p each
    2 tuna pasta ready meals 38p each
    Roasted med veg tray 19p
    1 litre finest freshly squeezed orange juice 31p
    4 assorted sandwiches 34p each
    Spring onions 8p
    6 Iced buns 16p

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Feb 17, 9:23 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 17,258 Thanks
    FatVonD
    In spendy news though I bought my bouncy castle *gulp*, I'm really doing it!!!

• angelpye
    • By angelpye 13th Feb 17, 9:33 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,656 Thanks
    angelpye
    Love your response to hubby FVD
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 13th Feb 17, 10:00 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 34,035 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

FVDstolen cheese made me laugh too.

Had to go to the big city so made a trip to Primark, lovely pair of shoes for DS reduced to £7 and a pair of exercise leggings for me with big flowers on - think 1970s curtains - for £3. DS said "you do know some things are in the sale for a reason dont you Mum" but they made me smile, wore them to my gym class tonight.

Took a packed lunch with me for my trip out, starting to hate bought sandwiches anyway. I was desperate for the loo and there was only MacDs so I bought the cheapest takeaway coffee they had.

Off to put some more washing over the airer before bed. A days holiday tomorrow but I have to take Dad to hospital so not exactly a pleasant day. Never mind, at least I dont have to get up and go to work and this means Dad gets nearer to having the op he needs.
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 13th Feb 17, 11:39 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 672 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    Well I've done a few things today which I'm happy about.
    1) I've managed to speak with SKY and reduce the monthly outgoings from £55 to £33pm for basically the same package
    2) I've got a £52 refund from a computer gaming company for an automatic renewal I'd forgotten to stop
    3) I've spoken with EON and they are looking into my direct debit and why it's gone from £59 to £80 when we don't even use the heating in a two bed flat.
    4) Bought my gorgeous partner a valentines present (that was bought ages ago to be fair) and haven't put on any bolt ons (you know what I mean, main present and then a few things on top etc.)
    5) Put three eBay auctions up.
    6) Agreed to sell some stuff on Gumtree for £100
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Feb 17, 7:46 AM
    • 6,279 Posts
    • 35,577 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning guys argh there's another pox on our house! I have woken up this morning with a sore throat, madam is still sneezing and coughing. It has been one thing after another since xmas!

I had been hoping to go for a run this morning so that has put paid to that!

had a lovely meal out with 2 girlfriend's last night. We worked together years ago and have kept up meeting up a few times a year. Was spendy but lovely to see them and have some belly laughs I've also been hankering after food not cooked by my hand so that scratched that itch One of my friends has done extremely well for herself financially and I do feel very poor when I'm with her!

Things for today:

* check banks
    * some masters prep
    * hang out washing
    * oh taking los for lunch
    * pick up bits needed for making oh's birthday cake for tomorrow while I'm out and also some card so madam and I can get crafty
    * 10 minute meditation
    * return car seat
    * paint some sealant over a water stain in our kitchen
    * list some bits on fleabay
    * clean out fridge

Ok that's me. I want to try to get everything done on my list today!

Happy valentines guys, hope you are all loved by someone and yourself x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 14-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2438.68/Roadkill £8.53
    CCC £85.94/£250 CC saved £1487.50 Veg grown £213.55
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 14th Feb 17, 8:32 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 17,685 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi guys

Get well soon DNMS!

Funny story - guy in front of me yesterday bent down to pick up a coin in the street... Then turned round all embarrassed when he realised I saw him No need to be embarrassed, young man! Man after my own heart

Got to work early as per new routine – not actually working but means I get dropped off then have time to put my make up on, have brekkie, check YNAB/banking, chat with you lot, get a free tea

So…
    Used up freebies/gifts – moisturiser, make up
    Cheapo porridge brekkie – free milk in work makes it taste sweeter
    Made OH have brekkie rather than buying a sandwich in work
    Cheapo HM tomato soup for lunch – this is the last of it but I’ll definitely make more
    Got a free audio book with prime membership – Agnes Grey this month
    Need to put clothes away tonight
    Housework to keep me out of spending trouble

OH is working until 10 so not quite sure if the romantic meal for two at home will pan out…plus, our oven is definitely kaput so it would only be a micro meal!
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 14th Feb 17, 8:35 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 17,685 Thanks
    La escocesa
    What a YS haul, FVD!

Yorkshirelass - those leggings sound FAB!!! Hope today goes OK with your dad xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,040Posts Today

7,686Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin