Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 28th Oct 15, 9:15 PM
    • 3,031Posts
    • 4,864Thanks
    another casualty
    Quit everything , and start again over 50?
    • 28th Oct 15, 9:15 PM
    Quit everything , and start again over 50? 28th Oct 15 at 9:15 PM
    MSE Insert:

18 months on from another casualty's original post they've done it and started again. Read the next instalment here: I've quit everything, now what?

Back to another casualty's original 2015 post...

----

Hello everyone. Haven't been on here for a few years, but this is my second thread tonight
    My situation: Lovely 2 bedroom maissonette in Twickenham , complete with garden and parking space .
    Know virtually nobody here now . (people moving away etc)

Working : permanently employed Salary £24,500 + ot

Debts: inc. mortgage £105,000 approx

Property worth : £400,000 approx.

I have had 7-8 years of hell , and I know I'm not the only one
    Haven't had a holiday for years. Been in debt for years, before getting a DMP in 2012.
    My friends are moving away / married etc.
    The place of employment , was a place I didn't want to be in for many years . Joined as a temp in the recession 2007 , and made perm 2009. Things have improved in one way, but are bad in another. For example, my backstabbing colleague and my self get on now since 2012. My boss retired , and now the Personnel officer
    is now my boss.She is rude and incompetent.
    My health suffered last year, and I now have Myasthenia Gravis and am slowly getting back on the mend via steroids.Oh, and I put my brother up for 5 years. He paid £400 a month, but not all at once and I was always chasing him. He was a nightmare , but I have my space back now
    So, with all of the above , I do wonder if I should just quit and start again.BTW, my boss criticised my appointments, I snapped and am now on a final warning for 2 years. I didn't swear/threaten etc. I just shouted as colleague to boss.
    My friends say that I cannot afford to live in London and should buy a place somewhere else and put a sum of money away.
    They even say that I could sell my flat and go travelling for a couple of months. Am I too old for this now?

I must admit I am getting fed up of London , but I have lived there all of the time , mainly the Borough and Twickenham.
    I wouldn't want to move to anywhere else in London . Twickenham is very pricey as you know.

Please feel free with suggestions you may have, and thanks for looking

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 04-04-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Page 2
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Oct 15, 5:59 PM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    another casualty
    Believe it or not , the salary for my type of job is good.
    I'm still recovering from myasthenia , so don't want to jump ship until I'm fully fit .
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 29th Oct 15, 6:42 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,679 Thanks
    Kitten868
    You're looking over my way! I'm in the new forest. Different way of life. Totally brilliant. I would look all round Dorset/new forest to see what suits. Poole might be a good balance or Bournemouth for town living. It's a bit rural otherwise but I love it.

In terms of sorting out the house. Declutter!! Sell it all on eBay - there's your overdraft sorted! Have the mindset of do I want to lug that 2 hours down the road and unpack it and find it a new home in my house? Makes me ruthless.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 29th Oct 15, 6:58 PM
    • 8,026 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Hi

I can't really add to what others have said as they have given great advice.

Just to say, you are never too old to travel. My mother went travelling in her 60's when she retired. She spent a year living and working in Japan and then spent 6 months travelling around Asia.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Oct 15, 7:21 PM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    another casualty
    I believe it's Bournemouth for work, and Poole ( or indeed new forest)for home life.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Oct 15, 7:29 PM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    another casualty
    My job has got quieter. Not much going on . This has been my worst year ever, but I should be able to think and act clearer next year.
    If I can get past January , I'm trying to convince myself that I won't remain rock bottom
    • Prothet of Doom
    • By Prothet of Doom 29th Oct 15, 7:53 PM
    • 3,141 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    Prothet of Doom
    If London is home, then why would you want to move ?

You seem to have about £300,000 in assets?

If you moved NORTH, to somewhere NICE, you could buy a house with a garden, and a couple of rental properties.

With 2 houses at £100K each you should be able to make £12K a year if you pick the right town.

And £100K for a house with a garden for yourself. Then you can get a job, that you like. Even if it's minimum wage you'll be making enough to live comfortably.

Of course you'll have to get out and make new friends. (A mate of mine reckons tinder is the best way to make new friends, but I think he was joking)

Anyway, to do that you'd have to be brave and take risks.
    • Prothet of Doom
    • By Prothet of Doom 29th Oct 15, 7:59 PM
    • 3,141 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    Prothet of Doom
    I wouldn't move up north on my own tho'
    Originally posted by another casualty
    You should start your world tour at Crewe, using Stuart Marconi's Guide to the North. You might like it.

Do you think the North Starts just past Oxford ?

I've BEEN to the south and am not impressed.

Never been to Poole though.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 29th Oct 15, 8:06 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    You've done well to buy your maisonette and as you say you are in a good position in some ways. You might not like the idea of this, but have you considered getting a lodger? It would force you to declutter a bit, and you could earn a good tax free income from it.

There are lots of nice respectful people out there who would appreciate a home in such a nice area. You have a lot of rights as well and could do it short term, or quite commonly now people do Sun-Thurs lets and there is a market for it.

I've done it for a year when I was saving for a deposit - it really made all the difference, and was a lot easier than expected. I had a student lodging and she was no trouble at all, very polite and always working or studying. It gave me a bit more confidence as well having the extra income, and I didn't feel so worried about work or so stuck. You could do that as a short term option and then when the finances feel better you could think about what you wanted to do.

I moved out of London to Hertfordshire 10 years ago and I don't regret a thing. I commute in to London and have done so for most of that time. I much prefer it to living in London but property prices aren't massively cheaper in some parts of Herts, than London.

Also it is easier to meet people nowadays with online social groups etc. It's daunting at first but you'd be surprised how much fun it can be. If you're feeling a bit low it is hard I know but this phase will pass. I wouldn't make major decisions when feeling low. I also understand the work situation but if you do things to take your mind off it outside of work you might not feel as bad about it. It's important to give yourself a break and not get bogged down with work. I know it's hard, with the politics etc.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By another casualty 29th Oct 15, 8:27 PM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    another casualty
    I forgot to mention something . I had my brother stay with me for 5 years.
    ( didn't know it would be that long.) it started when he lost his job, I put him up 6 months rent free. 6 months later he got a job working nights .
    I let his property out for him ,as we did think about buying a place together.
    My brother ended up nearly taking over the place and was a total nightmare . We eventually agreed peacefully and amicably , for him to move out around this time of year. He flustered as he always does( he can never handle pressure), and left me high and dry in March instead.
    I was always chasing him for the rent , so it never seemed like I could save anything. So, I don't want another lodger

Regarding the north/ south thing - I know a few Geordies . Been to Newcastle a couple of times . They're not all friendly ; Ie in a chip shop,or in a pub they hear the accent and you have to be on your guard a bit

I actually feel quite mellow with what I've been through. I do blame my myasthenia on my brother and the job tho '.
    I'm one of these people who take everything on the chin without complaining, until something gives .( in this case myasthenia gravis )
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 30th Oct 15, 8:26 PM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    another casualty
    I had a look at the hillbilly 1 link above . Good thread
    There's a lot to sort out next year, that's for sure .
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 31st Oct 15, 6:40 AM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 35,329 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    I live in a beautiful part of rural North Yorkshire. You could buy a really nice 2 bed house around here for £150k and there are jobs available. A lot of people move here from more expensive areas and you would find plenty of people who have moved North living in the same town/village. I think it would be easier to make friends than you might think.

BUT it would be a culture shock - my nearest Tesc@ is 20 miles away. Public transport is rubbish. Our local market towns are being overtaken by charity shops and pound shops and you have to travel for any sort of entertainment.

So I guess its weighing up the pros and cons. Could you see yourself living somewhere rural?
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 31st Oct 15, 7:33 AM
    • 29,993 Posts
    • 84,668 Thanks
    Marisco

Regarding the north/ south thing - I know a few Geordies . Been to Newcastle a couple of times . They're not all friendly ; Ie in a chip shop,or in a pub they hear the accent and you have to be on your guard a bit
    Aye well, you've been going to the wrong places then
    • Prothet of Doom
    • By Prothet of Doom 31st Oct 15, 9:11 AM
    • 3,141 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    Prothet of Doom
    I live in a beautiful part of rural North Yorkshire. You could buy a really nice 2 bed house around here for £150k and there are jobs available. A lot of people move here from more expensive areas and you would find plenty of people who have moved North living in the same town/village. I think it would be easier to make friends than you might think.

BUT it would be a culture shock - my nearest Tesc@ is 20 miles away. Public transport is rubbish. Our local market towns are being overtaken by charity shops and pound shops and you have to travel for any sort of entertainment.

So I guess its weighing up the pros and cons. Could you see yourself living somewhere rural?
    Originally posted by YORKSHIRELASS
    Or he could move to Liverpool, where in the NICE bits you can get a 3 bed semi for £130K 1/2 mile from a Aldi, 3 mins from a 30 minute bus service, 4 miles from the Motorway, 4 miles from the beach, 200 yards from a country park.

Pretty much anywhere north of crewe will do.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 31st Oct 15, 10:15 AM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    another casualty
    Aye well, you've been going to the wrong places then
    Originally posted by Marisco
    south shields
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 31st Oct 15, 10:19 AM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    another casualty

Originally posted by YORKSHIRELASS
    Not really. One thing London has got, is good transport links,
    (we all moan at times),plus the fact that if I need to buy a loaf of bread, I don't need to jump in a car and drive 10 miles up the road.
    It does sound nice tho'
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 31st Oct 15, 10:21 AM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    another casualty
    Or he could move to Liverpool, where in the NICE bits you can get a 3 bed semi for £130K 1/2 mile from a Aldi, 3 mins from a 30 minute bus service, 4 miles from the Motorway, 4 miles from the beach, 200 yards from a country park.

Pretty much anywhere north of crewe will do.
    Originally posted by Prothet of Doom
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 31st Oct 15, 10:33 AM
    • 29,993 Posts
    • 84,668 Thanks
    Marisco
    south shields
    Ah the sanddancers, you should've tried the best north side
    • duchy
    • By duchy 31st Oct 15, 10:35 AM
    • 17,987 Posts
    • 45,644 Thanks
    duchy
    I think some of you are underestimating the North South divide

The OP is an insular Londoner (his idea of gong up North is a visit to Newcastle -and ignoring the many and varied areas in the north ) and it's another planet to them (in a nice way I'm a Londoner too and it was many years before I realized London isn't the be all and end all)

OP I'm guessing you work Monday to Friday so why not spend some weekends exploring other areas on lttle breaks. Parts of the South West are lovely -and you could afford a place for you AND a rental property for investment to bring in regular income and maybe sell later so it'd be like a pension. The fact you don't drive might limit some of your options so something to consider if moving out of London.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 31st Oct 15, 2:19 PM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    another casualty
    My aim was to go to Poole as mentioned already , going for breaks next year to make sure it is right . Obviously , it is something I can't take lightly. However, some suggestions mentioned here are food for thought.
    ( keep 'em coming).
    I'm spoilt by public transport , and realise that if I did move I would find things different transport wise.
    I don't want to sound too pessimistic , but the future looks bleak unless I think ahead wisely as I can. Work , for example ; if I leave my current job ,my salary would decrease . I've looked around for some time.
    I prefer temping , so if I relocated for example and I e got my own hose in order so to speak , then that seems the way to go.
    Then there is my myasthenia , which I only got suddenly last year .
    Things are going in the right direction , but it's something that I have to keep an eye on.
    I don't fancy being a landlord . I let my brothers place out for him .
    The combination of my brother being mentally unstable , and 1 set of dodgy tenants have put me off. Also, I think the government are gonna make things less appealing in the future for buy to let .

I have thought about downsizing to a one bedroom, but in twickenham I'd still have a mortgage .
    Oh well
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 1st Nov 15, 10:05 AM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    another casualty
    Things have got worse . Trying to clear overdraft ( see other thread).
    I spoke to Santander , hoping for either a payment holiday or changing my mortgage temporarily to interest only . The experience was terrible.
    I was hanging around on the phone for ages. When I got through, I was put on hold a few times. I was told that my house could be repossessed if I missed more than 2 payments and interest would be charged.my credit file would be affected also( I expect that, for about 2 years). So now, I'm putting one of my bass guitars up for sale . Frantically looking for other things to sell.
    What I may do ,( which could be suicidal) is to put flat on the market in January , put my stuff into storage and go on a break to Poole.
    Then rent for a while until I know what to do . I will be spending the next 2 or 3 weekends painting the flat. I stop/ started in May as I have not been well, but I know I must get on with it .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,200Posts Today

6,872Users online

Martin's Twitter