Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fermi
    • By fermi 10th Jul 15, 7:32 AM
    • 39,318Posts
    • 47,138Thanks
    fermi
    DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11
    • 10th Jul 15, 7:32 AM
    DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11 10th Jul 15 at 7:32 AM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread.

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here. There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are a non judgemental and all questions welcome.
    Originally posted by Sazzie23
    Once again the old thread was getting a bit large, so here is a fresh thread.

The previous thread can be found here: Click ---> DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10

Or click here for the last page of posts on the old thread. ---> Last Page

Sazzie23's fantastic post of the month winning post from the previous thread is repeated below.

Best wishes with the DMPs everyone.
    Last edited by fermi; 12-07-2015 at 9:50 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
Page 1
    • fermi
    • By fermi 12th Jul 15, 9:53 AM
    • 39,318 Posts
    • 47,138 Thanks
    fermi
    • 12th Jul 15, 9:53 AM
    • 12th Jul 15, 9:53 AM
    Bump for new thread.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 12th Jul 15, 12:22 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,263 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    • 12th Jul 15, 12:22 PM
    • 12th Jul 15, 12:22 PM
    Thanks Fermi. Xxx
    Christmas 2018 £0 cash/£17 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC 41% paid
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
    • timetosayenough
    • By timetosayenough 12th Jul 15, 4:22 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    timetosayenough
    • 12th Jul 15, 4:22 PM
    • 12th Jul 15, 4:22 PM
    Oh dear think I made a bit of a boo boo. I sent letters off to creditors but just posted them. Should have sent them registered shouldn't I? Should I redo them and send them registered? What a plonker!
    £12,432 - debt free February 2018
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Jul 15, 4:40 PM
    • 12,673 Posts
    • 12,011 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Jul 15, 4:40 PM
    • 12th Jul 15, 4:40 PM
    Oh dear think I made a bit of a boo boo. I sent letters off to creditors but just posted them. Should have sent them registered shouldn't I? Should I redo them and send them registered? What a plonker!
    Originally posted by timetosayenough

Wont make a shred of difference, mail to large companies is delivered in bulk, so wont usually be signed for anyway.
    Registered mail is "supposed" to be delivered separately, but usually ends up with the bulk mail (ex PO worker).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • timetosayenough
    • By timetosayenough 12th Jul 15, 4:47 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    timetosayenough
    • 12th Jul 15, 4:47 PM
    • 12th Jul 15, 4:47 PM
    Sourcrates, thank you. You've put my mind at rest. Brilliant.
    • KID77
    • By KID77 12th Jul 15, 6:20 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    KID77
    • 12th Jul 15, 6:20 PM
    • 12th Jul 15, 6:20 PM
    Originally posted by timetosayenough
    Hello Timetosayenough
    I wouldn't resend either, I have actually contacted my creditors through the online banking secure message, I prefer this as they respond within a few days. I have also printed copies of the messages just incase they disappear for any reason.

Sourcrates - I love how you are around to give everyone advice, you are very quick to respond to people on these forums offering your help and knowledge, I appreciate it :-)
    DMP Number 437
    LBM May 2015 47k in debt
    Starting DMP 1st July 2015
    • timetosayenough
    • By timetosayenough 12th Jul 15, 6:51 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    timetosayenough
    • 12th Jul 15, 6:51 PM
    • 12th Jul 15, 6:51 PM
    Hi Kidd,

Thanks. Can I ask what is online banking secure message?

Also Sourcrates said to me last week to trust him and just want to say I do 100%. All you lovely people on here are so helpful and friendly. It makes me feel less like an idiot for getting myself into this mess so thank you all. x
    • patch22
    • By patch22 12th Jul 15, 8:36 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    patch22
    • 12th Jul 15, 8:36 PM
    • 12th Jul 15, 8:36 PM
    Hi all, hope you've had a nice weekend.

Thanks for the lovely shiny new thread. Sazzie, that post is amazing! Like a warm comforting hug and it's just what I need at the moment so thank you

Not too much to report here at the moment. Had a text from StepChange last week to say the dmp has been set up so we're all ready to go for 1st August. Just waiting now to see if it's accepted by creditors - fingers crossed! Think we've done all we need to with token payments and letting creditors know what's happening. I've felt such a range of emotions over the last few weeks but am feeling calmer (for now!).
    • KID77
    • By KID77 12th Jul 15, 8:45 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    KID77
    I pay or used to pay my creditors online and they have a facility to medsage through their website. Its like an email but I find it easier and they always respond. I know Barclaycard and MBNA have this messaging system for sure so imagine others do too.
    Yes Sourcrates has answered questions of mine and when I read other posts on MSE he often pops up helping people, its great to have advice from people who have been in similar situations.
    xx
    DMP Number 437
    LBM May 2015 47k in debt
    • KID77
    • By KID77 12th Jul 15, 8:49 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    KID77
    Hi Patch
    I agree on emotions and I still think about debt 24/7, not as worried as i was before starting dmp but it still conerns me obviously.
    I started mine July 1st and have heard back from all creditors confirming they accept plan and agreed to freeze interest. So as far as dmp plans go, its going well so far.
    Good luck and keep us posted
    xx
    DMP Number 437
    LBM May 2015 47k in debt
    • Triangle
    • By Triangle 12th Jul 15, 9:10 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 4,684 Thanks
    Triangle
    Ooooh shiny new thread!

Hope everyone is well

Tx
    DMP Mutual Support Member 435
    Start date: September 2015 Self-managed start date: September 2016
    Paid so far: 10.42%
    Orginal DFD: May 2024
    • Triangle
    • By Triangle 12th Jul 15, 9:16 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 4,684 Thanks
    Triangle
    Patch - out of our 4 creditors one has rejected the plan. Of the other three, two have sent letters to say accounts frozen and new statements have arrived with stupidly high interest. And one we havent heard from at all yet!

We have done one month of token payments, same again in August then the start date of 1st September
    DMP Mutual Support Member 435
    Start date: September 2015 Self-managed start date: September 2016
    Paid so far: 10.42%
    Orginal DFD: May 2024
    • Sazzie23
    • By Sazzie23 13th Jul 15, 6:23 AM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 10,485 Thanks
    Sazzie23
    Bump for new thread.
    Originally posted by fermi

Thanks Fermi shiny new one, looks good
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
    • Jon81
    • By Jon81 13th Jul 15, 10:01 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Jon81
    So following approximately 6 token payments to barclaycard I today got a formal demand for payment within 28 days or a default would be issued and it would be passed to a dca

They froze interest from the outset, so am I right in thinking this will continue with the dca and when payments increase that'll just be a bonus for them?

I'm with step change and am due a review shortly to look at permanent solutions so I guess this default is timely
    • Karen777
    • By Karen777 13th Jul 15, 11:56 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 1,731 Thanks
    Karen777
    ooh I have been off line for a couple of weeks and now there's a whole shiny new thread and loads of new people - hello and welcome to the most useful internet thingy I have ever found! hello to all the regular wise df people and dfw people. Sounds like everyone is doing really well. Proud to be part of this community.

It's always worth trying to get interest stopped - I have recently (after 2 years) got interest stopped on most of my debts - better late than never! Even though it is because my income has gone down it is still very welcome.

Keep trucking on people!
    Debt at highest - June 2013 - 26k/ March 2017 - 3900
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    • lewpster
    • By lewpster 13th Jul 15, 12:56 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 7,029 Thanks
    lewpster
    I've had a letter over the weekend from Barclaycard saying whilst they agree to the payment plan I am following and sticking too, it falls below the minimum requirements. They are giving me til the 4th August to pay the arrears or will issue a default and my account will be passed on to a collection agency.

Guessing I want this to happen and it's not as scary as it sounds?

Please can someone reassure me x
    • lewpster
    • By lewpster 13th Jul 15, 12:57 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 7,029 Thanks
    lewpster
    So following approximately 6 token payments to barclaycard I today got a formal demand for payment within 28 days or a default would be issued and it would be passed to a dca

They froze interest from the outset, so am I right in thinking this will continue with the dca and when payments increase that'll just be a bonus for them?

I'm with step change and am due a review shortly to look at permanent solutions so I guess this default is timely
    Originally posted by Jon81
    Must be sending them out en mass as i got one too!!
    • fermi
    • By fermi 13th Jul 15, 12:59 PM
    • 39,318 Posts
    • 47,138 Thanks
    fermi
    Yes, if its going to happen then much better sooner rather than later.

• NewYorkJetsFan1
    • By NewYorkJetsFan1 13th Jul 15, 1:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    NewYorkJetsFan1
    Hi

Now one year into my DMP with SC, all going well now under the 10K marker, but I still have another 3 years to go - is feeling this disheartened all par for the course ? Its so easy to slip back into my old thinking, I am coveting a dress and put it in my basket online last week, I have absolutely no means of being able to afford this dress. But still login everyday to my basket and look at the dress. I work 2 jobs 7 days a week to fund my son through college as well, sometimes I think I deserve the dress then I remember deserving the dress got me into this pickle in the first place !!!!

It was all the mentioning of BC that prompted my reply, I have had a few run-ins with them but nothing out of the ordinary and I too got a we are passing your debt onto PRA on Friday, wonder what prompted their change of heart......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,501Posts Today

7,127Users online

Martin's Twitter