Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 4,098Posts
    • 22,038Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £424.05
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 189
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Feb 17, 7:10 AM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 22,038 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Good morning all

Still been up since 5.30 despite it being a day off for me today! Got a hair appointment at 9am then I'm going into town for a quick look around a couple of shops and a coffee then on to meet some friends for lunch at 12.30. Really looking forward to it and hope my ankle will allow me a little mooch around the shops. Still got that £50 M&S voucher from work and there's 20% off in there today so could be a good day to spend it. Also got £20 vouchers (also from work) that can be used in Debenhams.

Mr SA is super stressed about the consultant's appointment on Monday so the whole weekend will no doubt revolve around that. Tomorrow we have to go to the kitchen showroom to look at the doors etc in real life. Then hopefully the builder will finally come up with a quote and I can get on with my re-mortgage/home improvement loan. Ideally I'd like work to start before summer.

Finance wise it's the week when everyone gets paid but me - Mr SA's ESA and PIP and DD gets paid. Although it's quite handy when money comes in between my paydays. When Mr SA was working he got paid every week which was great. New grocery budget of £200 for 2 weeks has started, I've put £10 in the ISA and VSP now holds £118.96. CC balance paid off. Set up direct debit for bus pass as is £7 a month cheaper and I can cancel it as soon as I can walk that far again (probably another couple of months yet). Cancelled a magazine subscription that I can buy via clubcard vouchers. Tuesday was NSD 5/8.

Stocked Mr SA up with PJs and got myself some comfortable boots in the TU 25% off on Tuesday. Other spends have just been grocery ones.

Still no nearer to finding out about the sender of DD's flowers. I haven't really seen her properly as I go to bed about 9pm in the week and she doesn't finish work until 9. The truth will out.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Feb 17, 1:29 PM
    • 46,787 Posts
    • 166,953 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a lovely day
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Feb 17, 6:46 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 22,038 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Had a lovely lunch with friends. Very disappointed with not being able to walk very far though. Bought a jacket from M&S 20% off then used the £50 gift card which brought it down to £10. Then went to Debenhams and got a jumper also 20% off, used a gift voucher and only £4.40 exchanged hands Had to keep sitting down to rest then gave up and went to meeting venue early, got myself a glass of wine and sat reading the paper until my friends arrived.

Absolutely exhausted now, foot is throbbing.

I don't shop til I drop I drop before I shop Try saying that after a glass of wine!
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Feb 17, 7:04 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 22,038 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Before I forget - today's spends:

£26 cut and blow dry including tip
    £4.50 coffee and cookie
    £10 jacket (which started out at £75)
    £4.40 jumper (which should've been £18)
    £11.20 lunch including wine (bargain!)
    £9.15 Sainsburys - this included a box of wine they were selling off for £8.34 - only went in for a loaf of bread!

So not too bad considering.

Only trouble is with pub lunches, when you eat healthily like I do, they are often very salty, so have been drinking water like it's going out of fashion!
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Feb 17, 8:35 PM
    • 46,787 Posts
    • 166,953 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you had a good day.
    Boo to foot though

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 17th Feb 17, 9:01 PM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 44,508 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Really pleased you got some 'you' time today. Fab bargains, new hair and time with friends! What more could you need?! Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in August- 1/5
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 18th Feb 17, 9:11 AM
    • 7,012 Posts
    • 33,809 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Glad you had a good time and got some bargains too

Xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    August '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [July 23.9 %]
    Declutter 100 items before 31.08.17 22/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for August 01/05 **AFDs 8/20 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £140 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for August xx/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Feb 17, 12:31 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 22,038 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Trying to have a more restful day today. Have cleaned up the whole house but only a quick clean not a deep clean.

Today's spends Mr M order at 7am this morning £56.85, £2.70 for lotto and paper and 15.30 on taxis to and from kitchen place, was only there 30 minutes! Mr SA kept butting in with daft ideas then got mad when I tried to stop him making a fool of himself by prodding him with my crutch.

DS is bringing the grandkids round in a bit. Which has reminded me of another spend today - £20 in his OH's birthday card!

Mr SA is having the other steak from the M&S dine in deal tonight, I'm having a stir fry. Looking forward to putting my feet up later.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Feb 17, 1:33 PM
    • 46,787 Posts
    • 166,953 Thanks
    beanielou
    Laughs at the prodding with crutch

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 18th Feb 17, 7:27 PM
    • 5,302 Posts
    • 15,871 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening SA,

So glad you had a lovely day out yesterday, even if you didn't shop until you dropped so to speak! Like the sound of your bargains.

Haha to you prodding Mr SA with the crutch xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 18th Feb 17, 9:30 PM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 44,508 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    I now have Dory from Finding Nemo singing in my head, but instead of "Just keep swimming", she's singing "Just keep prodding" Xx

• *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 19th Feb 17, 11:16 AM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 12,636 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Mr SA kept butting in with daft ideas then got mad when I tried to stop him making a fool of himself by prodding him with my crutch.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict

You're going to miss that crutch when your ankle doesn't bother you any more, Sun.A!
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 19th Feb 17, 1:25 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hello!

I've just caught up with your diary after my brief MSE hiatus, and it's really lovely to see you've had a nice time with friends, got something (anything!) for Valentine's Day, etc etc... sorry to hear your foot's still sore though. Little by little!

Also, I did giggle when I read about DD's potential admirer 'I hope he's got a place of his own' (!!)

I can understand that... my mum (who, let me just remind everyone, I love with all my heart but do not love living with) keeps looking at me with big eyes and asking if I'm sure I can manage without the rent money she pays me... yes, yes I can. Do not panic yourself on that account Mama, let's find you a forever home of your own...
    Credit Card Debt: £875
    Loan Debt: £6,454.65
    Savings: £130

[B]PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 41% paid 3445/8280[/
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 19th Feb 17, 3:29 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 22,038 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Had to laugh at us having the same problem in reverse JWP. I have a recurring nightmare of DD still living with me when we're both old ladies!

Have had a fairly productive day. Made that gorgeous squash, chickpea and lime soup again for work lunches. Sorted out a bagful of stuff for the charity shop. Supposed to be going through my very extensive collection of recipe clippings but keep putting it off.

DS and family came to visit yesterday. DGD was dragging the dog all over on her lead, poor dog looked most bemused. Luckily dog is young and playful and mostly happy to put up with it. She goes mad when the grandkids visit and spends most of the first hour trying to lick their faces. The cat did the best thing and stayed in hiding until they'd gone.

Today has been NSD 6/8 - nearly on target

Day off again tomorrow as it's Mr SA's consultants appointment in the afternoon. He's like a cat on hot bricks today.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 19th Feb 17, 8:30 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hope everything goes well tomorrow!!
    Credit Card Debt: £875
    Loan Debt: £6,454.65
    Savings: £130

[B]PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 41% paid 3445/8280[/
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 19th Feb 17, 8:30 PM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 44,508 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Hope all goes well tomorrow Xx

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Feb 17, 8:53 PM
    • 46,787 Posts
    • 166,953 Thanks
    beanielou
    Positives vibes for tomorrow

• Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 20th Feb 17, 11:25 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 6,086 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Thinking of you, hope it goes well today
    Mrs B Debt £1857 @ 13/06/2017, £1790 16/06/2017
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 20th Feb 17, 11:39 AM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 12,636 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hope DH's appointment is positive - thinking of you today (((hugs))).

Rx
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 20th Feb 17, 4:12 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 22,038 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Good news - Mr SA got the all clear again Scan clear apart from the brain damage scars and blood tests clear. No trace of lymphoma. Consultant said he's done amazingly well considering. He confirmed that Mr SA won't be able to work again, I wanted to say can we have that in writing for next time Mr SA starts talking about going back to roofing.

Only I could go to a hospital appointment and come back with 6 books!!!!

My turn tomorrow - physio.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,821Posts Today

6,601Users online

Martin's Twitter