Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FreedMyself
    • By FreedMyself 16th Feb 17, 3:55 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    FreedMyself
    Chased for almost a Decade for £3,800 Debt I didn't owe!
    • 16th Feb 17, 3:55 AM
    Chased for almost a Decade for £3,800 Debt I didn't owe! 16th Feb 17 at 3:55 AM
    I've read many inspiring stories on this sub-forum of people choosing to resolve their debt problems, and more inspiringly I've come across the unwavering support that other members offer to virtual strangers in their pursuits - so I've decided I wanted to share my problems, in a bid to help others.

My problem concerns the issue of being chased for a debt that you simply do not owe i.e. a debt that arose because you were victim of fraud.

For almost a decade I was harassed by a Bank and various Debt Collection Agencies (to the point I had a nervous breakdown) for a ~£3,800 debt that a fraudster had racked up in my name.

Now, in 2017 I've nearly had my issues resolved (there are still costs that I have incurred that are to be reclaimed) and I wanted to share my story on how I did it. So I've set up a website for people to read the pains I went through (I figured this would be easier than posting everything on this thread) and how I formally went about seeking to resolve my problems.

Would love to hear your thoughts, and would love even more to help out others in a similar situation. Thank you.

[Text removed by Forum Team]
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam2; 16-02-2017 at 9:40 PM.
Page 1
    • FreedMyself
    • By FreedMyself 16th Feb 17, 4:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FreedMyself
    • 16th Feb 17, 4:08 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 4:08 PM
    Hello, I was just wondering if anyone had a chance to look at my story?

I thought there might be lots of people out there that have been chased for debts they don't owe, and I think my story probably matches what others have gone through. Thanks!
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 16th Feb 17, 4:20 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,615 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 16th Feb 17, 4:20 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 4:20 PM
    People are not responding because you are breaking the forum rules advertising your website - it's been reported to the forum team. You might want to check the forum rules before you post?
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs?_ga=1.93146077.1148483339.1485364208
    DFW Nerd #025
    • FreedMyself
    • By FreedMyself 16th Feb 17, 5:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FreedMyself
    • 16th Feb 17, 5:01 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 5:01 PM
    People are not responding because you are breaking the forum rules advertising your website - it's been reported to the forum team. You might want to check the forum rules before you post?
    Originally posted by MrsTinks
    I'm not really advertising my website in the way that you are implying (nothing is being sold on the website, all it contains is my story of how I was hounded by debt collectors in very specific circumstances) - I'm asking people to read my story to see if it matches what they're going through.

I thought this would be better than posting a massive wall of text on a thread.
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 16th Feb 17, 5:20 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,615 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 16th Feb 17, 5:20 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 5:20 PM
    As per the forum rules:

'Advertising' includes touting for business; asking people to contact you; posting e-mail addresses, linking to sites or blogs you or friends are involved with (whether you’re selling something or not); or linking to your eBay or other auction sales.
    DFW Nerd #025
    • patman99
    • By patman99 16th Feb 17, 10:52 PM
    • 7,759 Posts
    • 9,160 Thanks
    patman99
    • 16th Feb 17, 10:52 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 10:52 PM
    There is nothing stopping you from cutting & pasting your story on here.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £617.00 / £1000 (that's 61.7%)

3-6 month EF £194/£3600

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • FreedMyself
    • By FreedMyself 17th Feb 17, 12:33 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FreedMyself
    • 17th Feb 17, 12:33 AM
    • 17th Feb 17, 12:33 AM
    Originally posted by patman99
    Hello. I'm unable to post images (relevant to the issue at hand) that qualify my post and make it a worthwhile read, because I'm a new member. I'm unsure how long I'll have to wait for the forum to permit me to do so.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 17th Feb 17, 12:49 PM
    • 4,890 Posts
    • 5,041 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 17th Feb 17, 12:49 PM
    • 17th Feb 17, 12:49 PM
    Hello. I'm unable to post images (relevant to the issue at hand) that qualify my post and make it a worthwhile read, because I'm a new member. I'm unsure how long I'll have to wait for the forum to permit me to do so.
    Originally posted by FreedMyself
    You might have to wait a long time. You can see how long I've been a member and I still can't post attachments!
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • JustAboutThere
    • By JustAboutThere 17th Feb 17, 2:22 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 2,129 Thanks
    JustAboutThere
    • 17th Feb 17, 2:22 PM
    • 17th Feb 17, 2:22 PM
    'Advertising' includes touting for business; asking people to contact you; posting e-mail addresses, linking to sites or blogs you or friends are involved with (whether you’re selling something or not); or linking to your eBay or other auction sales.
    ==================
    I'm another who views your request to look at your blog as breaching the forum T&C's.

In fact, I'd call it solicitation.

You may not wish to make the effort to share your story via the forum, but I'm certainly not going to add to your blog count.

I've reported this thread as spam.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 17th Feb 17, 4:34 PM
    • 10,278 Posts
    • 10,018 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Originally posted by patman99
    Good advice here, if you really want to share your story.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,985Posts Today

5,585Users online

Martin's Twitter