Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 18th Dec 16, 4:46 PM
    • 1,024Posts
    • 1,386Thanks
    Kim_13
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017
    • 18th Dec 16, 4:46 PM
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017 18th Dec 16 at 4:46 PM
    For those who haven't popped by this year's Crazy Clothes Challenge thread in the past few days, or perhaps are yet to join us; I've agreed to take over the running of the challenge from somerandom, who may not be able to visit MSE as much in the coming year. I'll be taking over from January, but thought that I would start the thread now as a number of other challenge threads for 2017 are already up. That and I may not be too clever on New Year's Day!

With the price of clothes now rising at the highest rate since 2010, there's never been a better time to join us and reign in the spending. How you do this is entirely up to you. Here are some ideas that members have used in the past:

- No clothes spend weeks/months
    - Charity shop spends only
    - Essentials only
    - Spending only money made from selling on eBay etc
    - Spending contingent on weight loss
    - Simple monthly or annual budget
    - A combination of two or more of the above

Your budget can be as little or as much as you want; last year, our budgets ranged from zero to 600. If you don't know where to start, then estimating how much you've spent on clothes in 2016 and aiming to shave 10% (or another percentage of your choosing) off of it may be useful. Anything you can save is a plus.

It's never too late in the year to join; you can work out what you would like to spend in a year and pro rata it for the months/weeks remaining of 2017.

Many of us found that even if we didn't spend as little as we wanted, we were putting more thought into our purchases - hopefully no more looking back and thinking, 'I don't know why I bought that top/pair of trousers/shoes' or whatever it may be.

If you would like to join us, simply post below and I will allocate you a number. If you have a preference, let me know and I will give you that number if it is available. I will try my best to add everyone as quickly as possible, but should I manage to miss anyone (say if you haven't had your number within 3 or 4 days) please pop me a PM and I will get you added.

Happy saving
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~37.55/100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ 41.40/250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ 55.10/120.00
    EF #170 ~ 1,000
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ 50/365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ 17.31/667.95
Page 9
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Feb 17, 12:43 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 23,469 Thanks
    Floss
    I find that MrT's can be good for bra's, also Sainsbugs.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 8th Feb 17, 2:43 PM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 5,511 Thanks
    Florence J
    I find that MrT's can be good for bra's, also Sainsbugs.
    Originally posted by Floss
    Thank you, I might pop down to the big store this weekend and have a look
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 Wombling free 2017 = 250.82 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (421.83/1500)
    February 2017 Debt: 5574.29
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 8th Feb 17, 6:29 PM
    • 7,224 Posts
    • 45,247 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Wearing a t-shirt I 'accidentally' won on fleabay last week - 4.50 for an A&F t-shirt. Will come in useful I think.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 9th Feb 17, 12:57 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    vintagegal
    Hi everyone
    I almost bought a dress last night, but decided to sleep on it. When I looked at it this morning I realised it was a bit boring, it was the same shape in a different print as another one I have and I didn't really love it. It certainly didn't spark joy.
    Plus I shouldn't be buying things in the size I need now... should be putting my energies into getting into the stuff I already own!
    Easier said than done sometimes!
    Have a nice day
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 48.25 / 0
    Weight loss 4lbs
    Clothes budget =10 per lb
    • pixtotts
    • By pixtotts 9th Feb 17, 2:40 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 8,370 Thanks
    pixtotts
    Hello, so I joined last year.... and sorta kinda fell off the wagon...
    I'm a little late to start but I'm in ! I don't think I've bought any yet this year, well apart from my dress for next Christmas but not counting that.... as I've been really good and bought it 3 sizes smaller as an incentive to get into!

So my rules for this year are..... I can spend gift vouchers, buy boots because I've just condemned some, and underwear.
    But after that I can only spend what I've made from ebay sales, I've lost 2 and a half stone since last may so plenty that don't fit now just need the motivation to sell them! And I can only buy things if they are smaller than I currently have! lol x
    I hope you know your capable, & brave, & significant.
    even when it feels like your not....
    • pixtotts
    • By pixtotts 9th Feb 17, 2:43 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 8,370 Thanks
    pixtotts
    I'm another vote for supermarket bras, I've found sains to be a bit iffy on fit definitely a try on job. As*da is my firm favourite, their 4 ones I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!! especially when they are on sale for 2 :|they have so many colours and they last a really long time, I've actually not had to get rid of any because they wore out only because they don't fit now, x
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Feb 17, 6:20 PM
    • 7,224 Posts
    • 45,247 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I must admit I am a VS convert for bras - although they aren't budget. I spent ages trying one on in there - its non-wired from their 'lounge bra' range and sooooo comfy.

My other t-shirt bras are from primarni, though a couple of those have seen better days.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 9th Feb 17, 7:48 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Hello, so I joined last year.... and sorta kinda fell off the wagon...
    I'm a little late to start but I'm in ! I don't think I've bought any yet this year, well apart from my dress for next Christmas but not counting that.... as I've been really good and bought it 3 sizes smaller as an incentive to get into!

So my rules for this year are..... I can spend gift vouchers, buy boots because I've just condemned some, and underwear.
    But after that I can only spend what I've made from ebay sales, I've lost 2 and a half stone since last may so plenty that don't fit now just need the motivation to sell them! And I can only buy things if they are smaller than I currently have! lol x
    Originally posted by pixtotts
    Welcome aboard, you are no. 34. Good luck with getting into the incentive purchase; I still can't get into mine from 2012 and have gone the other way! Oops.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~37.55/100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ 41.40/250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ 55.10/120.00
    EF #170 ~ 1,000
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ 50/365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ 17.31/667.95
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 11th Feb 17, 7:57 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    somerandom
    Brand new bikini - 1.00 CS
    No Clutter to be seen 2017
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017 35.45/365
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 12th Feb 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,915 Posts
    • 16,571 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Hello

today I went in Zara to look at the kids clothes. I had to pass through the women's range to get there.

There are loads of things in the new season range which I want, but I stayed strong, and didn't buy anything.

The project 333 period begins again on 1 April, and I should be shuffling around clothes that are not appropriate for the next season, so maybe I will treat myself to something from Zara then. If I still want the items then, then I think I can justify them

Usually, i would have bought everything i wanted from there and blown my budget and also the project 333 limits, so I think today was a positive day

I hope everyone is well.

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - 816.85
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - 46/300
    • pixtotts
    • By pixtotts 12th Feb 17, 10:29 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 8,370 Thanks
    pixtotts
    Welcome aboard, you are no. 34. Good luck with getting into the incentive purchase; I still can't get into mine from 2012 and have gone the other way! Oops.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Thanks Kim I have definitely done that in the past! and after the weekend I've had I'll be lucky if this years any different! Sort of an early valentines, think cheese with every course... lol

My sister has a trip to Primarni planned next week, and I REALLY need new PJ bottoms, we're talking too big, holes, or elastic in waists gone, so mega listing on ebay tomorrow to hopefully sell something so I can get some...

On a more positive note I would like to claim me a gold star, I have a trip to London (Work) in March, and I've figured out already what I'm going to wear each day from things I already have, so no need for anything and I'll be able to pack a little lighter than usual... maybe....hopefully! haha x
    • try harder
    • By try harder 15th Feb 17, 1:35 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    try harder
    4 spend on underwear,first spend of the year ,so very happy with that so far .
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 16th Feb 17, 9:25 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    somerandom
    Black Zara jumper - 3.50 CS - one of those items that isn't outstanding but I just know that I'll wear to death- perfect with skinny jeans which I wear a lot...
    Last edited by somerandom; 17-02-2017 at 8:27 AM. Reason: typo
    No Clutter to be seen 2017
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017 35.45/365
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Feb 17, 9:52 PM
    • 7,224 Posts
    • 45,247 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I ordered a top that I've been coveting from Forever21 which arrived today - not sure I'm 100% sure about it. 16 (was supposed to get 14% off but it didn't come off - grumble) There's also another one I ordered at the same time that i prefer in some ways but is quite similar so I need to decide between them.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Massa1982
    • By Massa1982 18th Feb 17, 12:28 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    Massa1982
    Still nothing else bought since last update feeling a little bit better about not buying wanted stuff. Have asked family to get the next size up in clothes for monster at Easter instead of Easter eggs as I don't feel that much chocolate is good for a young child and it would be a more thoughtful gesture to give her a t-shirt she can at least get a few months use out of than 5 mins of chocolate gooeyness. I expect one relative will buy the biggest chocolate egg to spite me regardless but that's her problem.

Going to have a sort through my wardrobe today and try and thin out the scrappy clothes that need to be donated to the rag man
    Desperately Determined to Destroy the Debts one at a time.. and Seriously Save for the Spectacular future.
    • GilmoreGirl
    • By GilmoreGirl 20th Feb 17, 10:13 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    GilmoreGirl
    I spend weekend in London so I did a little bit of shopping:
    1 pair of jeans: 20
    New PJs because I forgot mine at home - arghh: 3.5
    Some underwear: 5

I updated my signature...
    CCCC 2017: 199.5/600
    • vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 23rd Feb 17, 12:00 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    vintagegal
    Hello everyone
    Not much to report here. I've bought two bras from Sainsburys as recommended by you, 4.50 each! And a pinafore dress which I know I will wear every weekend for the rest of this year, 11.25. So that's 20.25 spent BUT I have been ebay selling my clothes and have made 346 with three bids at another 55 finishing this Saturday.
    As a consequence I am not feeling too guilty. Three items in that will be regularly worn, and a few out that I don't fit in/want to wear anyway.
    Also have been sewing a little, nothing finished yet but a dress on it's way (no cost as already had all the supplies).
    Going to have a clear out of things that aren't worth ebaying as well at the weekend, and take them to the charity shop. I'd really like to not feel overwhelmed by uninspiring clothes any more. I'd like to get to a sensible, maintainable weight, and then have fewer but maybe nicer things that I really really like.
    Happy Thursday everyone!
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 48.25 / 0
    Weight loss 4lbs
    Clothes budget =10 per lb
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 23rd Feb 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,915 Posts
    • 16,571 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Afternoon

Well done vintagegal, that's great selling

I need a new pair of leggings, the ones I had on yesterday are splitting on the seam so I chucked them in the bin last night rather than the washing basket.

Just found two pairs of tall leggings for 18, so I have ordered them. I will adjust my signature.

32b3
    Last edited by 32b3in2013; 23-02-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    SPC9 #125 - 816.85
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - 46/300
    • GilmoreGirl
    • By GilmoreGirl 26th Feb 17, 8:09 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    GilmoreGirl
    I bought a new top and a necklace for 14 together. I adjusted my signature accordingly...

I did not spent much during February because of long hours at work and the same is expected in March. This triggers sth in me to do more shopping, although I don't really need anything. The reason why I joined this challenge was to motivate myself to do more in terms of "experiences" rather than clothes/shoe shopping. However my workload does not leave me with much free time even during the weekend... 1 more month to go..
    CCCC 2017: 199.5/600
    • try harder
    • By try harder 27th Feb 17, 1:13 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    try harder
    5..99 spent on a cs jacket size 16 but hoping it will encourage me to lose some weight ,it is very nice.I have now spent a total of 9.99 in two months which i am very happy with .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,871Posts Today

9,072Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good morning & goodbye. Now my series is over, I'm going to take a week off work & twitter to spend time with Mrs & mini MSE. Ta ta for now

• RT @JulieGriff4: £2800 paid into my bank thanks to @MartinSLewis advice about packaged accounts. Unexpected and welcome. Great advice ????

• RT @justwanna: Listened to an hour's worth of @MartinSLewis podcasts. Now have a pathological need to save some money!

• Follow Martin