PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Green BT/telecoms box on house property

Options

Comments

• chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Vxs wrote: »
    This was my first thought lol

in-fact, you might even be able to get FTTP for next to nothing!

Probably not worth it, even if BT/Openreach would do it. The copper length would be so short that the line loss would be pretty insignificant, you'd probably get nigh-on the same speed on FTTC as you would on FTTP for a greater cost.
  • Vxs
    Vxs Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    fair enough, still this cab wouldn't bother me 1iota when decided on purchasing a property.

And to add to others, my cab is often visited for your information, be it, install's/repairs I don't know but it could be frequently if the cab serves a lot of house's, Huawei cabs can serve up to 288 lines.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Ive got a big pole in my garden, should they be paying me for this?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it is on the property shouldn't there be an annual payment for having it there?.
    The wayleave is a piddling one-off payment, but there ought to be some paperwork somewhere.
    konark wrote: »
    Ive got a big pole in my garden, should they be paying me for this?

Does he wash cars? If so, you're in luck, but otherwise, as above. :)
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Check the deeds, ask the owner but you've obviously read this ...
    https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/alteringournetwork/peopleathomeoratwork/homeandwork.do
    In cases where BT apparatus was installed in private land and no challenge was made by the landowner, at that time, as to the tenure of that apparatus and no subsequent challenge has been made up to the point of the current enquiry, the BT apparatus is deemed to be legally installed up to the point where we are advised that the land in which it is placed is private property. When we are subsequently advised of the status of the land then BT will seek to remedy the situation to ensure we comply with The Telecommunications Code, Schedule 2, Paragraph 2 of the Telecommunications Act 1984, as amended by the Communications Act 2003 (The Code) by way of applying to enter into a Wayleave agreement with the landowner. If the landowner does not wish to enter into a Wayleave agreement with BT to retain the apparatus in situ then it will be necessary to formally notice BT under Paragraph 21 of the above mentioned Code.
    However, if a landowner is improving the land in question and it is essential to move the apparatus in order to carry out the improvements, then Paragraph 20 of The Code refers. As such, BT is entitled to recover any reasonable expenses that may be incurred in relation to any works required to alter our apparatus as a consequence of improving the land. This right is not limited to apparatus which has the benefit of an existing written agreement (a “Wayleave”). It applies to all apparatus.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

Or, to cut to the chase, "We have most people by the goolies."
  • ilikecookies
    ilikecookies Posts: 196 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2016 at 9:31AM
    Options
    Forewarned is forearmed and all. You need to be comfortable with the fact that there could be a BT engineer (or two) on your property at any point during standard working hours. They won't bother you and won't require access to anything other than the box but you will have no control over when they turn up, how long they stay, won't get any notice etc.

As another poster thas said the frequency of visits could be very high. The box near me seems to constantly have a BT engineer sticking out of it. As does the one on my parents road so I suspect it's pretty standard (ie. to fix faults, add new connections, etc).

It's really down to you as to whether this would bother you or not. You should also consider that whilst it may not bother you or 99% of the population generally when you come to sell you may find others have a similar concern.

I guess it's down to how much you love the property. There are folks around my way that have public rights of way criss-crossing their properties which is far worse as folks have a right to walk across their garden whenever they like! So in context the BT box probably isn't a real biggie, especially if it is located somewhere discrete.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    that looks like the new fibre cabs , not a roadside distribution point. I would expect a lot less access required , they are on annual visits or were just to check the cooling fans are working
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • dc197
    dc197 Posts: 812 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    that looks like the new fibre cabs

That's just a stock photo.
    Here's the actual one:
    BT_box_on_tweed.jpg
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So they'll hop over the wall, but be hidden from the house by the hedge.

I wouldn't sweat it. But I might think about reconfiguring that wall at some stage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure