PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How is the London market?

Comments

• cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I think it's been fairly static since we bought almost exactly two years ago in a North London suburb. The luxury market in central London's really collapsed, the normal one is holding, though I think compared to when we bought, more of a gap is opening up between properties in a good state and ones in need of work or with odd layouts that might be harder to sell, so you may get a better deal with a property with more flaws, although best to make sure they're solvable ones.
  • Yazmina
    Yazmina Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What effect does anyone think the election will have? We're under offer in SW17. I think the offer is reasonable considering recent sales in the area. Hubby wants to wait until after 8/6.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yazmina wrote: »
    What effect does anyone think the election will have? We're under offer in SW17. I think the offer is reasonable considering recent sales in the area. Hubby wants to wait until after 8/6.
    People don't like a deadline so I suppose a lot will wait until after. Most won't even know why they're waiting, it's a bit like lemmings ;)

Not sure if it will have an impact on prices, just that it'll be static. People do tend to panic though (me included) and think it's not selling so it's the price and drop - and it still won't sell. That may cause wider panic and everyone runs around like headless chooks screaming RECESSION.

Who knows. I just wish it would bloody hurry up and happen.

I want to move and election or no election, I'm still moving as soon as I get an offer!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Then they need to give their heads a wobble. If they don't know Zoopla is not to be trusted and start quoting it as scientific fact, then I really don't think they're ever going to find a house in my area.

Thankfully I know it's BS and won't be offering £150k-ish lower on the houses we like.

The property market runs on sentiment not scientific fact though?
  • hazyjo
    The property market runs on sentiment not scientific fact though?
    If I believed Zoopla was correct, there is no way I would pay £150k over the odds because of sentiment. Don't believe others would either so really not sure what point you're making... Are you saying everyone paying over a Zoopla estimation is obviously overpaying on its true value and it should be trusted more? It's often way out! It overvalued my last house by around £150k!
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I don't think election result will have any effect - Tories will get in, the stock exchanges will probably react quite positively to that in relief for the people involved in big finance that it's not Corbyn, and housing market won't do much one way or another.
  • ModernSlave
    ModernSlave Posts: 221 Forumite
    Hi OP!

Here is my anecdotal experience of the London Market in April 2017. As background, I've been monitoring selected areas for over 2 years.

My first advice is to go onto Zoopla and search your areas, filtering for new builds. Then sort according to Most Reduced. This will give you a good idea of what is happening.

Here is what I have noticed. People are scared to move/can't afford to move. The price difference between a 2 bed and a 3 bed in my areas is 250k upwards, that's a heck of a step up for one extra room. As a result of fewer properties coming on the market, agents are over-valuing by crazy amounts. I have watched a basic 3 bed go from 1.3mil to 810k in a year. It hasn't sold.

On the bright side higher stamp duty for BTL has allowed FTBs to start buying. This has helped to keep the lower end buoyant.

If priced correctly, ie not overpriced, places sell quickly. But they can still fall through (I've had 2 calls from agents this week with broken chains). Surveyors are being conservative in their estimates and banks are under stricter lending rules.

In London a lot of new build flats are going up in the next few years. Something like 50,000 of them. China has recently talked about stemming capital outflows (stopping Chinese citizens safe-havening their money overseas). And of course there's the Brexit elephant which could stomp on the jobs in the City (a big driver of central London prices).

I would be very cautious about new build flats in London at the moment. Also, Foxtons are the absolute pits and everything they say is complete b0ll0cks.

Good luck
  • heyya99 wrote: »
    I was about to buy a 2-bed in September in Surrey Quays, London. The asking price was 600k and I got it agreed at 550k. I lost my job so pulled out. The flat since went for 505k.

Now I'm back in the market. Have prices fallen? I don't see asking prices have. One agent (Foxtons) is telling me that right now, the market is picking up and not to wait. Another agent said asking prices are still the same but that, depending on circumstances, sale prices are lower.

Who do I believe?

I bought a few months ago and wish like hell I hadn't. That's more to do with the flat I ended up buying and seeing that I could probably have gotten a better deal by waiting though. Having kept an eye on the market FTB flats still seem to be selling if they're reasonably priced. Also my Facebook feed is telling me that friends and acquaintances are still going for it. I think if you're buying, now is as good a time as any. You're more likely to get a better deal and less competition.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    hazyjo wrote: »
    If I believed Zoopla was correct, there is no way I would pay £150k over the odds because of sentiment. Don't believe others would either so really not sure what point you're making... Are you saying everyone paying over a Zoopla estimation is obviously overpaying on its true value and it should be trusted more? It's often way out! It overvalued my last house by around £150k!

People have been paying (borrowing) over the odds for years, that is why we are where we are, they believed, or wanted to believe all the hype about property. Do you compare zoopla guesstimates with actual sold prices?
  • hazyjo
    People have been paying (borrowing) over the odds for years, that is why we are where we are, they believed, or wanted to believe all the hype about property. Do you compare zoopla guesstimates with actual sold prices?
    I know what things sell for locally and I know what some zoopla valuations have said when they have been of particular interest to me, like something I've offered on in the past, or a house that's up in my street (although I don't often check it as it's a load of bo***x, it's just to know how 'out' it is). I know mine isn't worth £100k less than what I'm selling for. There are no 3 bed houses up for that price, not even manky ones.

My previous Brentwood house was bought for £400k-something and the zoopla 'valuation' put it at over £600k. Just trying to explain it doesn't always undervalue. Obviously as soon as I bought, zoopla changed its valuation to what I paid (and consequently adjusted every other value in the street/near vicinity). The house had been overpaid for new in the first place, but in other streets, the overvaluation would have been far nearer its correct value.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport