PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How is the London market?

Comments

• zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I noticed that the central London flat I used to rent has dropped in value over the last few months. My current house deep out in the 'burbs doesn't seem to be affected, but t's a family home n a good school area.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    E4 - flat as a pancake. Typically, it seemed to start the week I put my house on the market last month LOL *rolls eyes*

Six months earlier and I'd have had 30 viewers lined up and an offer over the asking price.

Not sure it'll lead to a crash (sorry Crashy!) - I think it's people generally being initially very cautious about Brexit, plus about the prices in my area which have almost doubled in four years. I don't blame them for thinking they've reached a static point which they're unwilling to pay top whack for. Definitely been lots of reductions lately (me included!).

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    hazyjo wrote: »
    E4 - flat as a pancake. Typically, it seemed to start the week I put my house on the market last month LOL *rolls eyes*

Six months earlier and I'd have had 30 viewers lined up and an offer over the asking price.

Not sure it'll lead to a crash (sorry Crashy!) - I think it's people generally being initially very cautious about Brexit, plus about the prices in my area which have almost doubled in four years. I don't blame them for thinking they've reached a static point which they're unwilling to pay top whack for. Definitely been lots of reductions lately (me included!).

Jx

Don`t worry, I`m sure other global events affecting currency/credit markets will do the job. The problem with sentiment is that it doesn`t act in a rational fashion. Having said that I still hope you get a buyer.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you also checked Rightmove's sold STC feature?

I'm guessing anything decent put on the market in spring has been sold.
    Been away for a while.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think the OP answered their own question?
  • Lamy_2
    Lamy_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    If you were buying a house in London at this point in time would you buy now or wait then?
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lamy wrote: »
    If you were buying a house in London at this point in time would you buy now or wait then?

With a cooling market I wouldn't feel the need to rush onto the market aggressively for fear of missing out anyway!

But I think its the same as always, if you find a property you really like at a price which works for you I wouldn't be put off putting an offer in personally.
  • key is to make offers, as already mentioned i offered well below asking and stuck to my guns (don't show seller/EA how much you really like it), a few more weeks and no offers the seller came begging, and even managed to include all the newish white goods he had bought, into my original offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure