PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Breach of Covenant Question

Options
My son has received the letter below along with all the other house owners in the area. Does he need to act or not. He has lived here for about ten years and has not done any building or alterations.

Is this company just trying to frighten people and make money out of them. Will this company be monitored by the FSA or other governing body?

Thanks,

Fortyfoot
pj2_zpsm6mrloc5.jpg

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    He needs to check his deeds and see what the covenants are in the relevant section.

If he feels he hasnt breached any, I would be tempted to write back asking them to specifically state which covenant they feel has been broken, as as far as he is concerned, no covenant has been breached.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't bother writing back...If they're not writing with a specific issue then they're at it.

Who are they acting for anyway? Did a neighbour complain and hire them? No...

So, ignore.
  • Miss_Samantha
    Miss_Samantha Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    Options
    He would also need to check who those people are.

It may be a scam, and in any case this letter is extremely heavy-handed and aimed at scaring people into paying. I would probably contact trading standards or whatever relevant organisation to bring this to their attention.
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dear Yenton

Thank you for your letter dated 22nd March. Could you list the specific covenants I have breached so that I can forward you the correct sum

Regards
    Moneysavingexpert
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Arkell vs Pressdram springs to mind...
  • Gorecki
    Gorecki Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It looks very dodgy to me, I'd bet it's a scam.

Personally I wouldn't reply/have any contact with them until I'm sure.

Spend an hour researching "the Yenton Group" and take a view. Have had quick look at their twitter (7 posts 3000 followers (mainly singing groups) looks pretty fake to me.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The letter says that your property is subject to covenants detailed in a Transfer date 21st Dec 1978 between YHM Ltd and the Sewells.

Well? Is it?

Either this Transfer exists, and contains covenants, or not.

What covenants are detailed in the Transfer? Have you checked?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This company is dormant, I smell a scam.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02540600/officers
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    Options
    Gorecki wrote: »

Spend an hour researching "the Yenton Group" and take a view. Have had quick look at their twitter (7 posts 3000 followers (mainly singing groups) looks pretty fake to me.

It seems very iffy that their website which is a .Co.uk domain has should opt out. This is not allowed. They have been sneaky by registering it as an individual getting logout the changing IMG the registrant type to a company
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    Options
    Gorecki wrote: »

It seems very iffy that their website which is a .Co.uk domain has whois opt out. This is not allowed. They have been sneaky by registering it as an individual getting optout then changing thehe registrant type to a company
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure