PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Comments

• Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    BlueFleur wrote: »
    No worries- I only know because my bf has allergies! My cunning plan is to let you guys develop the recipe and then nab it when I get my own place ;)

Did you notice the recipe attached to the wiki? http://www.megaheart.com/kit_dutchcrunch.htm
    lol at your cunning plan :D looks like you may have come along at just the right time, as we've been wrestling with this for more than 2 years now & it seems that a solution may be in sight at long last :)

I wonder how long the Wikipedia article's been up? I never noticed it before & I've done some extensive Googling on the subject, even Tijgerbrood!
    yes I did have a look at that recipe, with the rice flour paste it's quite similar to the ones we've already had a go at, although the bread dough itself sounds interesting with the onion powder, cider vinegar & olive oil :)

I'm going to have one last go* with sesame oil in the dough (I notice Wikipedia mentions that, great minds eh? ;)) & if that isn't an improvement, I'll be contacting the supermarkets

*once we've finished the one I made last night, I had a queue waiting to try it if it worked, but they all disappeared when I broke the bad news :rolleyes:
    meanwhile, does anyone else wants to take over the reins & have a go??? :)
  • Supermarkets don't make the tiger bread crackle dough. It is bought in sachet form and blended with warm water and yeast and left for 30 mins.
  • Swan_2
    grtd1 wrote: »
    Supermarkets don't make the tiger bread crackle dough. It is bought in sachet form and blended with warm water and yeast and left for 30 mins.
    yes, I've found the catering packs of in the past it during my Googling for recipes, but none of them contain any sesame, so I'm now reckoning the sesame flavour must be in the dough itself
  • Lurkio
    Lurkio Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    Swan wrote: »
    yes, I've found the catering packs of in the past it during my Googling for recipes, but none of them contain any sesame, so I'm now reckoning the sesame flavour must be in the dough itself

I tried that and it wasn't particularly nice...... maybe too much sesame oil :confused::confused:

If you get Mr Ts tiger rolls and eat from the bottom :rolleyes: , they taste exactly like normal bread rolls, so I think it must be in the 'crackle'.....

:DNeigh, neigh, and thrice neigh :D
  • Swan_2
    Lurkio wrote: »
    I tried that and it wasn't particularly nice...... maybe too much sesame oil :confused::confused:

If you get Mr Ts tiger rolls and eat from the bottom :rolleyes: , they taste exactly like normal bread rolls, so I think it must be in the 'crackle'.....
    hmmm, curiouser & curiouser :think:

I always thought the dough was ordinary dough, but this sesame flavour is proving so elusive that I was thinking about going & buying some, taking the crust off (saving it for me later!) & doing a blind tasting just to be sure
    now I won't have to do that :D

none of the the commercial mixes I've found so far contain sesame, so where's it coming from??? :confused:

EDIT ... if you Google 'sesame flavour' this thread is the second top hit
  • Lurkio
    Lurkio Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    Swan wrote: »
    none of the the commercial mixes I've found so far contain sesame, so where's it coming from??? :confused:

commercial mixes for what? the crackle? The only clue I have is that the pack on Mr Ts says 'contains sesame oil'. I'm pretty sure that it isn't in the dough itself (but you may have to do the blind test to be sure - you can send me the 'tops' in case of cross contamination :drool: ;))

I did try with just rice flour and sesame oil. First time was too thin and not a lot happened. Second time it didn't brown, though the rolls cooked......

Subscribing to this thread.... I DEMAND a solution.......

:DNeigh, neigh, and thrice neigh :D
  • grtd1
    grtd1 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Somebody who has worked for Sainsburys bakery told me they buy it in.

The recipe I posted comes from an old french bakers book.
    I tested the recipe this morning and found that it gives the perfect crust but not the flavour.
    I tried mashing sesame seeds to a paste in a pestle and mortar and including this in the crust mix also at ratios 5%, 10% and 15% of complete weight of crust mix.
    15% ratio had noticeable taste of sesame but still lacked something.
  • Swan_2
    Lurkio wrote: »
    commercial mixes for what? the crackle? The only clue I have is that the pack on Mr Ts says 'contains sesame oil'. I'm pretty sure that it isn't in the dough itself (but you may have to do the blind test to be sure - you can send me the 'tops' in case of cross contamination :drool: ;))

I did try with just rice flour and sesame oil. First time was too thin and not a lot happened. Second time it didn't brown, though the rolls cooked......

Subscribing to this thread.... I DEMAND a solution.......
    yes, some of the bakery supplier's websites offer Tiger Paste mix, but they're all much the same as the ones mentioned earlier in the thread, & no sesame

lol, I think I'll take my chances with the 'contaminated' crusts :D
  • grtd1
    grtd1 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Think the something that maybe lacking is vanilla:eek:. Sounds weird I know. Just thought tiger crust reminds me of doughnuts. So thought I would give it a bash and added 2 drop van. essence to a 15% ratio of sesame to mix. definately adds a background flavour that gives the crust a lot more depth and roundness.
  • BlueFleur
    BlueFleur Posts: 204 Forumite
    It makes me wonder what the elusive flavour is :eek: This thread has sparked the 'war of the tiger bread' in my house. Half arguing in favour of Tesco's, half for Morrisons. I'm tempted to go to Asda and get some there, add some more chaos into the mix:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure