PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Options

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What do you all do with Christmas and birthday cards that you've received from your (adult) children and grandchildren? I can't bear to throw them out, but they are just accumulating in a box, and when Dh and I pop off they'll get thrown out, I'm sure,

This is definitely a toughie but I took the bull by the horns last year and they all went in the recycling, all 48 years worth. :eek: And I haven't missed them at all.

OK, a slow start but I'm up and running now.

1. Posting receipt for a parcel that I know has arrived at its destination (recycling)
    2-8. x6 pairs old socks (for ragging) but they have been replaced by new ones :o
    9. 2017 diary (recycling) - all info transferred into a 2018 one
    10. Dead biro (binned)
    11. Empty plug cleaner powder container (binned)
    12. Rusty battered biscuit tin (recycling) that had Xmas decs in it
    13. Junk mail (recycling) - usually on top of this one as I have a small bin next to the front door so it never makes its way further into the house :D
    14. Cardboard packaging from an amaryllis bulb kit (recycling) that my neighbour gave me as a thanks for taking in her parcels all year - looking forward to fab flowers in Spring
    15. Broken Xmas tree lights - binned

The lights were pre-strung on the tree and decided to give up the ghost on NYE. We did try mending them by (1) checking the plug fuse - nope (2) checking the fuse lamp on the string - nope (3) checking all 49 others on the string - nope. :mad: By this stage the air was distinctly blue, and it wasn't just DH! Anyhoo, they've gone and I do have two others sets that are much prettier. And yes, I've checked, they do work! ;)

I also realised that my colour theme seems to be silver, gold and red so - apart from 6 baubles that have sentimental value - the other colours have been bagged up and will go to the CS later in the year at a more appropriate time. I've put a reminder in my diary so they don't linger.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • 2018saver
    2018saver Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    This evening have got rid of some cardboard from Christmas into recycling. Small item into the bin and half a dozen magazines also into the recycling.
    47/2018
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Brienne of Tarth - great name - one of my favourite GoT characters.

Mrs SD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    6. Black bin bag full of shredding now in rubbish bin.
    7-13 Recycled seven emptied & washed spice jars.
    14-18 Binned 5 novelty candles - too awful for cs!

at this rate it will take forever!:(

Mrs SD
    18/2018

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    2 more bags of clothes for the CS in the car to take tomorrow night after work.
    Small pile of attachments to a toy given away last year ready for my MiL to collect and deliver to the recipient at front door. Will be gone tomorrow.
    DD gone back to uni with all her stuff, lol.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
  • 2018saver
    Options
    Quick hoak through a cupboard this morning and got rid of a couple of bits of rubbish to the bin and a box to the recycling.
    50/2018
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 January 2018 at 12:00PM
    Options
    6. Black bin bag full of shredding now in rubbish bin.
    7-13 Recycled seven emptied & washed spice jars.
    14-18 Binned 5 novelty candles - too awful for cs!

at this rate it will take forever!:(

Mrs SD
    18/2018

Tuesday 9th,

Woke up 7:45 with a start - coughing fit to burst with a scratchy throat as well. Dressing gown on & down to kitchen for a Bee...ms & while kettle boiling emptied a cupboard so

19 - 29 Eleven small plastic pots recycled

The cupboard I emptied is full of cake decorating utensils - in the dim & distant past I made & decorated a couple of wedding cakes as well as unusual birthday cakes! (Even went on a six week course for a couple of hours a week). Never going to be needed again as the younger generation have taken over. So I will gather the bits together & see if any of these youngsters would like them - I do not do bay of e.

Bagged for cs:
    30 - 36 T-shirts barely worn
    37 Summer dress
    38 Pair of silver pumps
    39 - 40 Fancy scarves
    40 - 41 Winter scarves
    42 - 45 Warm Socks
    46 Warm neck warmer
    47 Pair of Woollen fingerless gloves
    48 - 49 Fancy small evening handbags
    50 - 51 Wheelie bag & hold-all full of Boxed DVD sets & CDs

Intention is to have a coffee , get warmly wrapped up & get bus to cs.

I will pop in later & admit either success or failure!

Happy decluttering everyone!

Mrs SD:)
    51/2018

• 2018saver
    Options
    Started mammoth task of clearing garage. Two box loads of stuff to the recycling and three bags worth of stuff to the dump. Approx 100 items altogether.
    150/2018
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    noelphobic wrote: »
    30/31) cat collars, binned
    32) lip balm, binned
    33) baking tray, rusty, binned
    34) pile of paperwork related to my degree - I graduated 4 years ago - in recycling
    35) de-icer, used up, can put in recycling

I've got a bag of books and a bag of clothes ready to go. Will list them when they're gone.

DS put 2 big bags of Xmas stuff in the loft for me yesterday. There's also 2 bags of decorations and the tree in there and that's all. Made the mistake years ago of putting loads of c**p in there to get it out of the way and it was a nightmare to sort out.

My policy now is only to put in there things that need to be kept but are seldom used. Xmas things are the only things that qualify currently.

36/45) books
    46) fleece jacket
    47/50) tops
    51) DVD

All of the above to charity shop

52) hand cream, used.up, tube gone in recycling.

A bag came through the door yesterday for collection tomorrow, so sorting a few bits out for that. Will list them once collected.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    noelphobic wrote: »
    36/45) books
    46) fleece jacket
    47/50) tops
    51) DVD

All of the above to charity shop

52) hand cream, used.up, tube gone in recycling.

A bag came through the door yesterday for collection tomorrow, so sorting a few bits out for that. Will list them once collected.

Forgot
    53) suit jacket - to charity shop
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills