pension vs property dilemma

12346»

Comments

• I think it would take me around 5 years get the £300k equity all in pensions, due to the yearly contribution limit. An earlier poster suggested spreading the payments out even longer so I keep child benefit for a longer period. Do you still think it's an advisable route despite how long it would take me to get all of the equity in the BTL shielded from tax? Thanks.
  • n12maser wrote: »
    I think it would take me around 5 years get the £300k equity all in pensions, due to the yearly contribution limit. An earlier poster suggested spreading the payments out even longer so I keep child benefit for a longer period. Do you still think it's an advisable route despite how long it would take me to get all of the equity in the BTL shielded from tax? Thanks.

the key point is that you don't want to leave it in cash while waiting to put it in a pension. if the plan is to put it in a pension eventually, then you can invest the money in exactly the same way before it goes in, in an ISA in so far as it fits, and the rest in a taxable account. then it doesn't really matter when it goes into the pension, because it will be growing at the same rate before and after it goes in (or very slightly less in the taxable account, where there may be some tax on income and gains). but the rate of tax relief you get when it does go in makes a huge difference.

e.g. if you only get 20% relief, then a pension contribution of £1,000 becomes £1,250 inside the pension. but if you get 40% relief, then a contribution which costs you (allowing for all tax relief) £1,000 becomes £1,667 inside the pension. so in the latter case, your pension fund is 33% bigger!

(in both cases, there will be some tax payable when you eventually draw the pension. so the overall tax reduction from using a pension is not quite so great. but the above figures are a fair comparison of the relative advantages of pension contributions attracting 20% or 40% tax relief.)

and if you get 40% relief and also retain child benefit, the gain is bigger still.

so i think you should start by planning to contribute enough to pensions to retain all child benefit. that means contributing enough each year to reduce your adjusted income to £50k. adjusted income = total pre-tax taxable income (of all kinds: earnings, property, interest, dividends, ...) minus gross value of all pension contributions minus gross value of any gift aid.

and if you can go further, consider contributing enough to get all the 40% tax relief you can. which means getting adjusted income down to the higher-rate threshold, which is £45k this year (except in scotland).

and only if you want to consistently make larger contributions than that over many years, should you consider making contributions that only attract 20% relief. and arguably, that isn't worth doing, and you'd be better keeping the rest in ISAs or even taxable accounts.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    the key point is that you don't want to leave it in cash while waiting to put it in a pension. ... you can invest the money in exactly the same way before it goes in, in an ISA in so far as it fits, and the rest in a taxable account.

It would be better for income tax for OP's wife (if he arranges that!) to hold the tax-exposed shares. For Capital Gains Tax it would probably be better to split the holding. OP to sort out the details if he goes this route.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    One stray thought: as the child gets bigger - or even more so, if you have another - might you want to live in a bigger house? If so it's conceivable that selling the flat to help fund the move might seem a natural thing to do, with any capital left over going into the pensions. It might even be wise to ensure that your new mortgage is big enough to leave a generous sum over for future pension contributions while being small enough to ensure that you get a sharp interest rate on the loan.

You may find it advantageous to exploit to the hilt the tax treatment of owner-occupied housing.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Our current child is two and a half and would imagine we may well wish for another in a year or two. We're currently in a two bed flat so moving house is on the agenda, 100%. Probably looking to move mid to late next year to (ideally) a three or four bed house.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 9:37PM
    Right in which case using some of the equity in the BTL to get the house that would give you the right lifestyle might be worth doing. You only live once and it's still an OK and more tax efficient investment.

We consolidated our 2 properties from single 20s living into 1 big family home and it really has improved our standard of living. It also means our mortgage was low enough to enable the big pension contributions from income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure