PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Electrical Survey

Comments

• konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    What are 'light sockets'?
  • The light switches not being earthed is not "illegal" in a rented property, but the degree of risk depends on whether the light fittings are plastic or metal. If metal, then it's more risky but still not illegal.

There's no formal requirement for electrics in a rental to be to a particular standard or inspected regularly (unlike the gas installation) but I believe there's a requirement for them to be safe. So a sufficiently old/unsafe installation could be illegal.
    What are 'light sockets'?

This is actually a key question. Do you mean the ceiling rose (what you're screwing a lightbulb directly in to). Or do you mean the rare(ish) round three pin sockets that look like this: https://sparksdirect.scdn5.secure.raxcdn.com/image/cache/data/zencart/sections/K770WHI-298x298_0.jpg which are being used for lamps?

Unearthed ceiling roses isn't up to latest standards but not that bad. Many styles of light fitting don't have exposed metal that could become live anyway and even then you're unlikely to touch it.

Unearthed round 3 pin sockets are very bad, especially if connected to lamps. Far more likely to result in exposed metal you can easily contact becoming live.

I guess wood backing is a fire risk, plus presumably rather old by now so may be going rotten.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As above; this is far from unusual; the only houses you'll find up to current standards are houses built in the last few months!

It is not uncommon to find back boxes held in place by bits of wood, or no CPC for lighting circuits. That's not the kind of stuff you need to worry about - it's loose connections and wires (which costs practically nothing to check/rectify).

Old but well installed wiring is arguably preferable to new but poorly installed wiring. If you would like to rewire the house (and if moving in and decorating, now is the time), see if the price you've got accepted taking that into account.

I would be more than surprised if old wiring caused a problem with your mortgage offer.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    I guess wood backing is a fire risk, plus presumably rather old by now so may be going rotten.
    If the wood is rotting, then the water ingress and damage to the roof timbers is going to be a FAR bigger problem than the electrics...!

Yes, it'll be fire-risk related, which is actually a much lower risk now, with ubiquitous low-energy (so much cooler) bulbs. Not that it was ever a real problem anyway.
  • Property was built in 1962, is otherwise in very modern and good condition so we expected the electrics to be in relatively good condition too!

And sorry, I meant light SWITCHES not sockets, that was just a typo.

We're going to hang on until the homebuyer survey comes back in the next few days to see where we stand.

Also, for the few that have mentioned it, I'm not fussed about it being brand new wiring. What I want is a safe house for my family to move in to.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    pixiepeep wrote: »
    Property was built in 1962, is otherwise in very modern and good condition so we expected the electrics to be in relatively good condition too!

Was there any sign that the house had ever been rewired? The fusebox seems to have suggested not. So what made you think the wiring wasn't 54 years old, too?
    Also, for the few that have mentioned it, I'm not fussed about it being brand new wiring. What I want is a safe house for my family to move in to.

Is there any indication (apart from some scaremongery backside-covering that's been explained here) that it isn't?
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    is the wiring pvc sheathed or rubber sheathed?
    If its PVC and has the right cable it probably doesn't need a rewire, just some updating.
    If its rubber coated wiring it will need a rewire pretty desperately.
    You can get the latest dual RCD mains board (consumer unit) fitted as long as you have decent cabling.
    As for the electrics for a rental there are things you should comply with, If you don't then you would be wide open to legal action against you. I can't remember them all but an electrician would know. Pretty sure stuff like no mains cable attached to a surface unprotected, suitable number of sockets provided, appliances safe and checked etc.
    The Landlords and Tenants Act 1985 requires that the electrical installation in a rented property is:
    safe when a tenancy begins and
    maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy.
    The Landlords and Tenants Act 1985 makes it an implied term of every tenancy that the landlord will ‘keep in repair the structure and exterior’ of the property and ‘keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity, and for sanitation, space heating and heating water. The
    landlord cannot make the tenant responsible for these repairs.

No doubt someone will be along to tell me I'm wrong and someone else to confirm I'm right.
  • Grenage wrote: »
    I would be more than surprised if old wiring caused a problem with your mortgage offer.

My mortgage offer had a retention of £3,000 kept back due to the house having an older style fuse box and old cabling. I have to get it inspected and upgraded to modern requirements.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    My mortgage offer had a retention of £3,000 kept back due to the house having an older style fuse box and old cabling. I have to get it inspected and upgraded to modern requirements.

Blimey, I've never heard of that sort of thing, do cheers for informing.

My old place had an ancient (twist your own fuse wire) CU, and 60+ year old cabling, and the mortgage company weren't bothered. I guess it depends on the lender, but I never imagined it would affect value enough to make them care.
  • There's no formal requirement for electrics in a rental to be to a particular standard or inspected regularly (unlike the gas installation) but I believe there's a requirement for them to be safe. So a sufficiently old/unsafe installation could be illegal.

Unless the rental property is in Scotland.
    A legal requirement for some time, latest update with the minimum tolerable standard (Sep 2007) and the mandatory requirement for electrical checks (1st Dec 2016)

Back to the OP
    It wasn't until 1965 that lighting was required to have an earth at all points.
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport