Hastings cancelled my car insurance without warning and didn't tell me for 7 days

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If the OP used an old address....... to reduce premiums, who's fault is it?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    And I work for one of the largest car insurers in the U.K.

Have you not previously said you know nothing about motor insurance?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have a feeling the OP says 5 days as when they received the letter they had 5 days notice eg Hasting issued a letter giving 7 days notice and he recieved it two days later
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    The OP says he never received any letter at all.

hankkosovo wrote: »
    ....When I rang them they said they sent me a letter giving me 5 days to send them a document or they would cancel my insurance. I never received this letter......
  • Quentin
    rs65 wrote: »
    Have you not previously said you know nothing about motor insurance?

Here:- .
    ...... Apologies to the OP here. I don't work in Motor insurance so have no ideas of the RTA laws, perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut!.........
  • RS65 + Quentin,

I do work for one of the largest U.K. Car insurers. I work on a different product line within personal lines, but the cancellation rules tend to be generic.

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of the RTA laws, but this was more of a generic issue. And my steer with the Broker was true, I work with this Broker as do my equivalents on Motor, and we agree we would allow this risk if referred to us.
  • Quentin

I do work for one of the largest U.K. Car insurers. I work on a different product line within personal lines, but the cancellation rules tend to be generic.

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of the RTA laws, but this was more of a generic issue.....

The cancellation "rules" for motor policies are far from the normal cancellation conditions for different "product lines" to motor! (Legal implications/FOS regulations etc)
  • Quentin wrote: »
    many "reputable" companies put in their wording that no MOT will mean the insurance is invalid - also unenforceable,

I thought this was pretty standard and, in my opinion, reasonable.

How would it not be enforceable? (a bit off topic but I'm intrigued)
  • Quentin
    mattk_180 wrote: »
    I thought this was pretty standard and, in my opinion, reasonable.

How would it not be enforceable? (a bit off topic but I'm intrigued)

Companies putting this condition in their policies are just trying it on ( convincing many!)

It's not enforceable and they all know ( the FOS have ruled so)
  • Okay having looked through the documents, there are two sections relating to them canceling, this one in my welcome pack:

'Where this information is not provided, your insurer may ask us to revise the premium payable and/or cancel cover, you will be given appropriate notice of any action we are required to take'

and this in my policy document:

'we and your insurer both have the right to cancel your policy at any time by giving you 7 days notice in writing. We or you insurer will send a cancellation letter to the latest address we have for you and will set out the reason for cancellation in the letter. Valid reasons may include:

Where you are required in accordance with the terms of this policy booklet to co-operate with us or your insurer or send us or your insurer information or documentation and you fail to do so in a way that materially affects your insurers ability to process your policy'

So according to their own wording, they will give me 7 days written notice IF I fail to send them their required documentation.

I didn't receive written notice, I never got the letter.

After speaking to them on the phone and them reading the letter to me, the letter briefly says they require proof of address by a set date (5 days after the dated letter) or they will cancel my policy on that date.

So for arguments sake, lets say I did receive this letter, it only gives 5 days notice, not 7. They are cancelling the policy for not supplying a document in the same letter they are asking for said document, that letter is the first time they have asked for it. So according to their wording they didn't even give me chance to fail to provide requested documents.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure