Carrot cake in the oven

Comments

• supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 13 April 2014 at 10:50AM
    Been editing my signature again. Some kind of addiction I think, although I did read another poster was also doing the same and it is kind of therapeutic to get it sort of straight in your head, especially as its felt such a mess for ages.

It also seemed sensible to take the £68.31 from the safety account and pay off some of the gas fund, which is now less than £200. I've already upped the direct debit to £140 a month (more cashback on santander too!) and this will mean on the 1st June I will be able to switch to Daligas and remove the gas from my signature (yayyy) which will also mean a few more pounds saved each month. Add that to the £15 being made on the Santander interest/direct debits and I will be £20 up a month for barely lifting a finger. Kind of verifies my recent editing addiction - and while I'm editing I'm not spending - I'm not padding or flying either but that will come - promise.

I'm also really confident of not pushing the overdraft back up to £1750. I have put a couple of little items on the credit card, but I have the cash to pay the off at the month end put to one side. The only thing I may have to fork out for this week is two tyres - I'll put that on the Tesco card for the points and then pay it off in full with next month's wages. Next month I want to buy OH a kindle - am wondering whether to go for the paperlight version or save £50+ quid) I think I'll ask around.

Its nearly a month since I had my LBM - its been an interesting month. I have learned so much reading the threads on MSE, some of us have loads of debt, some are trying to save, but its all about making the most of what you have and being happy with your lot.

I'm struggling with getting on top of my new job and scared that in a few months I may be not in so good a position (can't bear to say it), but with the help of MSE I'm keeping positive, trying to be sensible and planning for any eventuality. Its really focussing me on 'what if' and I'm trying to reduce outgoings so that should it be necessary we can cope. £20 might not seem a lot now, but could make all the difference later. I've just been printing out a few Jack Monroe recipes - thanks to Greying Pilgrim - that is a really inspirational thread and so useful. Can't wait to do the smoky red lentil burgers this week.

I must buy another orange and some cream cheese to do more carrot cakes this week as a one month LBM celebration.

Thanks for listening diary and sorry to any poor souls who come across this thread and die with boredom. :rotfl:

ps my targets are: 1st June pay off the gas account and switch to Daligas, by 1st July pay off the smallest card and reduce the car amount owed to its current value (or pay off the next highest card?). I'm also thinking about selling some jewellery that could pay off a chunk of the car - OH is slightly sentimental as it was a present, but I just don't feel so much enjoyment in it knowing that it could be reducing the interest we are paying (???).
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • Don't be so hard on yourself. I truly believe that reducing outgoings to make life easier for yourself definitely falls into the flying category.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • supersaver1000
    Don't be so hard on yourself. I truly believe that reducing outgoings to make life easier for yourself definitely falls into the flying category.

Thank you INOD your encouraging posts very very much appreciated. :)
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think you are doing really well. Switching the signatures suggests you are still trying to find the right way to look at your debts, everyone is different. For me, I'd not pay the car down yet but focus on the CC. Be aware that many loans don't actually allow overpayments at all, unless you pay the full thing off. Also the loan vs asset value is a bit of a red herring I think. But like I say, everyone is different and you should do what feels right for you :)

Re the kindle, I adore my paperwhite and can't imagine using the non-lit version. I'd say worth saving up for if you can.

Good luck with your journey, you sound very motivated.
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • supersaver1000
    mfmaybe wrote: »
    I think you are doing really well. Switching the signatures suggests you are still trying to find the right way to look at your debts, everyone is different. For me, I'd not pay the car down yet but focus on the CC. Be aware that many loans don't actually allow overpayments at all, unless you pay the full thing off. Also the loan vs asset value is a bit of a red herring I think. But like I say, everyone is different and you should do what feels right for you :)

Re the kindle, I adore my paperwhite and can't imagine using the non-lit version. I'd say worth saving up for if you can.

Good luck with your journey, you sound very motivated.

Thank you May it's so good to get encouragement. Your comment re sig. swapping makes perfect sense. And the CC interest is slightly higher, so will definitely give a miss to 'tidying' up the loan figure, however tempted I may be :o

Thanks also for the advice re the kindle. I was hoping to hear that. It seems a lot more money just for a light but he travels a lot so I'm now sure it will be the right decision.

Many many thanks. :)
    Have a great Sunday. :)
  • giblet1979
    giblet1979 Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    I've just found your diary and found it really interesting so will follow if you don't mind? It is really hard to keep focused on money saving / getting out of debt (and weight loss in my case) but hopefully we can all support each other on here, and get there!

If I was you, I'd focus on the CC's, and leave the car loan. I know that I've almost factored mine out of my debt repayment plan, but that is partly because I'm not allowed to overpay unless I pay it all off (as someone mentioned above). I think paying off the highest interest first would be best IMHO but you are doing great, and really sound like you are focused and determined.

Good luck with it all :) x
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• supersaver1000
    giblet1979 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've just found your diary and found it really interesting so will follow if you don't mind? It is really hard to keep focused on money saving / getting out of debt (and weight loss in my case) but hopefully we can all support each other on here, and get there!

If I was you, I'd focus on the CC's, and leave the car loan. I know that I've almost factored mine out of my debt repayment plan, but that is partly because I'm not allowed to overpay unless I pay it all off (as someone mentioned above). I think paying off the highest interest first would be best IMHO but you are doing great, and really sound like you are focused and determined.

Good luck with it all :) x

Thank you Giblet and welcome. It's so easy to slip off the rails so a joint effort will hopefully keep us on course.

Thank you for your advice, it is so much appreciated. I hope I can give you back some of the motivation you have given me with your supportive words.

Nice to have the company. Will catch up soon.
    And good luck to you too x
  • supersaver1000
    Oh dear. Had a bad couple of days feeling very down. Have been hanging around posting and trying to get my mojo back but here I am sat with tears rolling down again. I've just changed my signature (yet again) and I think it's all the uncertainty about my job that is the killer. Am going to get off the PC and get on with my goals.

Hope to report back later with lots of things done and renewed motivation. :(:T:eek::sad:_pale_:T
  • Sorry you are feeling s down today Supersaver. I've been reading through your diary and I can sympathise. You know you want to get out of the mess, you know how you got there, you are willing to put in the work but the one thing you can't control is time and boy does it seem to drag :( sending hugs your way.
    LBM- 01/04/2014
    DEBTS @ LBM [STRIKE]£5558.08[/STRIKE] £4770.00
    House savings £240/£3000 8%
    Uni Savings £11.46/£1146 1%
  • StarMummy wrote: »
    Sorry you are feeling s down today Supersaver. I've been reading through your diary and I can sympathise. You know you want to get out of the mess, you know how you got there, you are willing to put in the work but the one thing you can't control is time and boy does it seem to drag :( sending hugs your way.

Thank you StarMummy I am feeling better already - bagged up 5 bags for the charity shop and am off there now and will buy some paint at the same time. I've also booked in with the osteopath as my back is really playing up. It will be a couple of appointments I know but I need to do it despite the cost. I've even listed an item on eBay.

Little steps and patience I guess. Thank you for your kind words they really helped. Must get going while this mood lasts. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure