Excess solar power

Comments

• ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    So are you saying hard wire the extension lead into the second output then use the rcd socket in the extension?.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • ajbell
    Also the oil filled radiator intend to use is one of those 600/900/1500w ones so what do I set it on?.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    ... However, it is worth taking a look at this topic http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4715287&page=4#topofpage as it has given us the inspiration to look into the possibilities of using an efficient air conditioner to provide heating in the same way. We are currently getting quotes from a number of companies and hope to get something installed soon.
    Hi All

Seeing that it was ~7C overnight and 13C outside now it's 21.4C where I'm sitting and that's after opening some internal doors .... currently generating ~1250W and consuming just about half (630W) and have probably been providing a steady 2.0kW.t to 3kW.t of heat (system ramps up and down as necessary) for most of the the last 5 hours ....

No GCH or logs burned so far this year ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ajbell wrote: »
    So are you saying hard wire the extension lead into the second output then use the rcd socket in the extension?.

No, I would put it straight into the 2nd output.

It would then protect the extension lead too.:D
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • ajbell
    How would you hard wire that RCD socket into the iboost?.
    And what setting on the oil filled radiator 600/900/1500w ?.
  • ajbell
    Would a surge protected extension lead do the same thing?.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I don't think wiring in a RCD would necessarily work with a diverter given the way they change the wave form of the electricity. After all this is why you can only put resistive loads on them. I tried my current measuring plug/socket on mine once and it was very unhappy!

While on this subject, you also need to ensure your device has no fancy electronics. So, for a radiator, no fancy timers and so on. Just an on/off switch (or something which bypasses the timer - mine has an always on setting rather than using to manual timer thingy).

Ultimately the diverters are just switches, albeit very clever ones, so you can run a cable from them but as has been said it must be suitable cable and any socket appropriately labelled as "iBoost only" or whatever. I have used cable suitable for 3kW load and kept is as short as sensible for my needs, not least because your radiator will say not to use on an extension lead to avoid overheating etc.

Take a look here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2955406&highlight=pinnks&page=73 at post #2911
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

Further to the above, I'd also be tempted to apply 'poka-yoke' logic here and foolproof the connectivity .... something like a 13A restricted access socket & plug with round earth pin would come to mind, but there are plenty of alternative solutions ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Laughing lots here! For a simpleton how do I cheaply send my generation into something that benefits my home? Have a combination boiler no hot water tank but bags of enthusiasm to better use the excess kwh hrs I generate........
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive:j:mad::hello:

July Solar target 769kw
  • ajbell
    what about a tea urn?.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure