The All New MSE Running Club.

Hello everyone!

This is a message to all MSE runners - and I know that there are many of us. You may be a seasoned veteran with many Marathons under your belt, a club runner, a lone runner, a newbie or someone thinking about taking the plunge into running. Doesn't matter this is for you.

If you have been around for a while you may remember the MSE Running Club which was active for a number of years and was originally set up by Pania. This was an online space to meet up as runners, to receive support and encouragement, to state our goals, to share our running triumphs and frustrations, to seek accountability, ask all those questions we have been afraid to ask and to chat.

Well I have been in the running wilderness for a couple of years (for reasons that I will explain in another post) but as a result of gaining inspiration from the recent London Marathon I have made a commitment to enter it again in 2015.

Chatting on facebook I find that Pania has made a similar commitment and we made an agreement to hold each other accountable to that. From there it just felt good to relaunch the running club and to interact with others who have running goals and are wanting to reach out to others for mutual support.

So whatever your running experience and whatever it is you wish to derive from running, you are welcome to join us. If the previous running club is anything to go by, it will be fun :T

Must go. Time for a run!

Chris
“The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle

Comments

• pablakeman
    pablakeman Posts: 291
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Great thread and perfect timing!

I have just signed up for the Great Scottish Run (half-marathon, October 5th 2014, Glasgow). I am relatively fit I think due to playing football 3-4 times a week throughout university, but now this time has come to an end (except my exams next month) I have decided to take up running again.

I ran a 10k around 3 or 4 years ago in Manchester and really enjoyed it, so really looking forward to doing it again to be honest! However, I am willing to listen to any advice I can get.

So far I have been on 2 runs and my most recent time is 5:39/km (5.5km distance) which I was relatively happy with as it is a very hilly route (I live on the top of a hill and I am surrounded by more hills!).

Looking forward to meeting people on here and discussing running tips, I am here to learn!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • cnoelj
    cnoelj Posts: 29,218
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi Pablakeman. Welcome!

Half Marathon in Glasgow! Great. I love the half marathon distance and will be aiming to do one or two before the London Marathon. I do envy you living among hills. Not only for the training potential but also the scenery.

Last time we ran this thread we all learned from each other. I know that you will have plenty to offer.

Just returned from a short 2-3 mile run. And it is the first time since I have been back running that I have run two days consecutively. hard going right now, particularly as I have a pound or two to lose. But I have come back from worse positions.
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
  • pablakeman
    Forumite
    cnoelj wrote: »
    Hi Pablakeman. Welcome!

Half Marathon in Glasgow! Great. I love the half marathon distance and will be aiming to do one or two before the London Marathon. I do envy you living among hills. Not only for the training potential but also the scenery.

Last time we ran this thread we all learned from each other. I know that you will have plenty to offer.

Just returned from a short 2-3 mile run. And it is the first time since I have been back running that I have run two days consecutively. hard going right now, particularly as I have a pound or two to lose. But I have come back from worse positions.

I currently live in Nottingham but when I finish my degree I am moving up to Edinburgh for a graduate position :) Looking forward to it, it will be a great place to run!

Congrats on the run. I try and avoid doing consecutive running days but have done it before when determined to get back in to it! Like yourself I hope to work up to marathon level but as I have only done the 10k before I didn't want to be overenthusiastic.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • cnoelj
    Forumite
    pablakeman wrote: »
    I currently live in Nottingham but when I finish my degree I am moving up to Edinburgh for a graduate position :) Looking forward to it, it will be a great place to run!

Congrats on the run. I try and avoid doing consecutive running days but have done it before when determined to get back in to it! Like yourself I hope to work up to marathon level but as I have only done the 10k before I didn't want to be overenthusiastic.

As I work shifts there are times when it is difficult to run or I am too tired. I have been off for the past couple of days and felt motivated to run so I have taken advantage of that. I am a believer in listening to the body and obeying what it wants rather than looking at a schedule and seeing what I am 'supposed' to be doing. The art is learning to discern between laziness or whether the body is telling you something else.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    cnoelj wrote: »
    I am a believer in listening to the body and obeying what it wants rather than looking at a schedule and seeing what I am 'supposed' to be doing. The art is learning to discern between laziness or whether the body is telling you something else.

This is what I do too. I've had many injuries over the years and found that if I didn't listen, I'd just end up injured again. :(

Did an off-road / multi terrain run yesterday. Running across a pebble beach was interesting.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I run too :hello:
    I started 2 years ago. I have Ehlers Danlos so progress has been slow but did my first 5k last Saturday. I went to Huddersfield Parkrun and it was fab. 620 runners and my time was 36:50 which I was pleased with seeing as I'm a bit rubbish and the furthest I'd run before was 3.2km.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • pablakeman
    Forumite
    RedFraggle wrote: »
    I run too :hello:
    I started 2 years ago. I have Ehlers Danlos so progress has been slow but did my first 5k last Saturday. I went to Huddersfield Parkrun and it was fab. 620 runners and my time was 36:50 which I was pleased with seeing as I'm a bit rubbish and the furthest I'd run before was 3.2km.

I am going try try my local parkrun next Saturday :) Can't tonight as in work till 1am but I am looking forward to it!
  • Indie_Kid
    Forumite
    I am going try try my local parkrun next Saturday :) Can't tonight as in work till 1am but I am looking forward to it!

As much as I'd love to do my local parkrun, it's too far. It's about 6 miles from me and I don't drive. :( There's no way I'd be ablw to get there. Can't quite run far enough yet to run there, do parkrun and run back.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • cnoelj
    Forumite
    Welcome Indie Kid and RedFraggle. Good to read about your training and events. Some interesting things going on.

Had a day off today as I have trained yesterday and the day before. And probably won't manage a run tomorrow. Great to be getting back in the groove though.
  • Indie_Kid
    Forumite

I'd gone out the night before and finally got home at 1.30am. (er, it was a gig and I'd got the last train home) Stupid me forgot that I had doctors the next morning at 8.40; so had to get up at 8am. I then decided it would be clever to go for a run. (I was up; so why not?) I then ran the best time for a 8k I'd done in a long time.

Aiming to run for 2 hours tomorrow. Although, yesterday's run was quite long (we did about 2 hours; but walked some of it) and I was at the gym today.

I have really struggled over the last few weeks. I am not sure why. I did Jantastic, completed that and then it's all gone downhill from there...
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family