Getting a job after dismissal

Comments

• chipmoon
    chipmoon Posts: 42 Forumite
    Well I have learnt my lesson from this and will obviously be putting the right person down from now on. In fact I will triple check my forms before submitting for future reference.

The issues with my manager wasn't to do with my work, as I say I am an excellent worker. It were personal reasons - she didn't like that I stood up to her when she was doing wrong or when she saw people doing wrong and she used to let them get away with it. She also made comments that I was too young to be in the position I am in etc etc. The issues I had with her is because she wouldn't be a manager and just someone who would come in enjoy life and go home. She used work time to make personal phone calls as well as other perosnal things such as shopping etc - of course I'm not going to sit there and take that happening while I'm actually working and she didn't like that I didn't let her get away with it. And I guess that lead me to putting the other one down as my line manager. Because she gave me that support.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    I can see your problem - basically you didnt get on with your actual line manager due to a personality clash (that's the polite way of putting it). Maybe you should be honest and say that you were scared of this manager which is why you put the details of the other manager down as she also knows your work as you have worked with her in the past (I am assuming that you have worked with her?)

There is no need to stay on JSA for ever either because if you are a clever person (you must be with a degree) then there is no reason why you can't set up your own business. Well done on getting 58% in your re-sit anyway. Invigilators can be scary when they walk up and down (I have invigilated before and it is one way of staving off sleep:D).
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    If you have a problem with your line manager, just remember this, They CAN'T give you a bad reference. All they can do is state the truth, if they don't, then you can sue them for 'false information likely to prevent you from future employment'.
    Anyway, be truthful with your current employers. Tell them about the 'problematic' line manager. Once they know the truth, it may change their final punishment.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    patman99 wrote: »
    If you have a problem with your line manager, just remember this, They CAN'T give you a bad reference. All they can do is state the truth

They can write what they like as long as its true, and can be backed up.

So in this case the OP can get a reference like "X was dismissed due to providing false information on their line manager".

Both true and "bad".

Bozo
  • chipmoon
    Thanks Horace (once again) and patman99. I wish I knew all of this before I went ahead and put the other one down.

I don't think they will be that easy going on me and will probably end up with dismissal. If they let me get away with it, people will say its favouritism but I honestly don't think I did anything absolutley awful. I didn't steal or affect the business in anyway. I've always put the business before my personal circumstances and have done so much to improve it. Okay I know it was wrong of me not to put down my real line manager but with the way my relationship was with her, I didn't think she would give me a justifiable reference.

I really wish I knew this at the time of applying that this would be considered falsifying information. I wouldn't have dared put the other one down and now I'm facing dismissal with possible prospects of not getting a good job ever again or having a career. :(
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    'Horace', I was referring to chipmoon's previous employer, with whom s/he had a line manager problem. Of course their current employer can state that they were dismissed for falsifying information.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• reheat
    reheat Posts: 2,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well, I don't think I can offer any better help than already offered re getting your next job.

My advice would be for you to look beyond this, even at this stage. In a few years time you need to be able to demonstrate a past history which demonstrates your lying and cheating days are behind you (no point pulling punches here - it's what employers will be thinking). And I think that will be important for you too ... if you don't work for that goal and stick to it you will be lost. Behavioural traits are judged - by all of us - very much on habitual behaviour. If in the future you can demonstrate habitual honesty and integrity, your current misdemeanors will more likely be dismissed as glitchy behaviour you've learnt from and moved on from - you will be seen as a stronger and better person for it ... but you have to stay clean from here on!

And it's only a hunch, but if you buy into that goal now and commit to it, it may just help you come across better when going for jobs at the moment. Mindset counts for a lot.

All the best with it.
    Favours are returned ... Trust is earned
    Reality is an illusion ... don't knock it
    There's a fine line between faith and arrogance ... Heaven only knows where the line is
    Being like everyone else when it's right, is as important as being different when it's right
    The interpretation you're most likely to believe, is the one you most want to believe
  • reheat
    chipmoon wrote: »
    The issues with my manager wasn't to do with my work, as I say I am an excellent worker. It were personal reasons - she didn't like that I stood up to her when she was doing wrong or when she saw people doing wrong and she used to let them get away with it. She also made comments that I was too young to be in the position I am in etc etc. The issues I had with her is because she wouldn't be a manager and just someone who would come in enjoy life and go home. She used work time to make personal phone calls as well as other perosnal things such as shopping etc - of course I'm not going to sit there and take that happening while I'm actually working and she didn't like that I didn't let her get away with it. And I guess that lead me to putting the other one down as my line manager. Because she gave me that support.
    Sorry chipmoon but I genuinely do have to ask you this. Is what you are saying here 100% true?
    There's a fine line between faith and arrogance ... Heaven only knows where the line is
    Being like everyone else when it's right, is as important as being different when it's right
    The interpretation you're most likely to believe, is the one you most want to believe
  • chipmoon
    Yes it is, reheat and it was known by management that there were strong area of management needs there. You need to meet her yourself and work with her and then you'll see what I mean. If you saw what I have endured while in that work place, you wouldn't think it was a workplace but a school playground. I can sit here all day saying what she did and didn't do and she gets away with it because she always blags things off or gets others to do her work for her.

And thank you for your previous comment - trust me, I've really learnt a lesson. The new job was a promotion for me, I no longer have that anymore. I won't be lying in anything ever again. This job was the second job I have ever applied for asking for references, the first being 7 years ago. As such, I didn't really think things like that matter. If I knew back then what I know now then I wouldn't have done what I did and it is definitely a learning curve that I have reflected on.
  • reheat
    chipmoon wrote: »
    ... she gets away with it because she always blags things off or gets others to do her work for her.
    Oh yes ... I've met the type :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure