Problem with TSB contactless?

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,262 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The meaning is subtly different. 'Good spot' or 'well spotted' is appropriate when someone is particularly observant or, for example, notices a bargain. 'Good catch' implies that, in a situation where there is a collective will to succeed, the person has spotted a mistake and thus averted a disaster or at least kept a project on track. 'Good catch' suggests the speaker is grateful for the error having been noticed.
    I quite like to use the term catch/caught as a surreptitious acknowledgement that the comment was of a more adversarial nature (i.e. they "caught me out").
  • I have had this intermittent problem with two TSB contactless cards and called TSB again today. Apparently it's a security feature to prevent thieves using our cards! I was advised to check my balance at any cashpoint using the card and PIN (thereby not having to spend any money using the PIN method). This apparently reactivates the contactless feature. It would have been useful to have been warned about this, TSB!
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I have had this intermittent problem with two TSB contactless cards and called TSB again today. Apparently it's a security feature to prevent thieves using our cards! I was advised to check my balance at any cashpoint using the card and PIN (thereby not having to spend any money using the PIN method). This apparently reactivates the contactless feature. It would have been useful to have been warned about this, TSB!

They do warn about it.

http://www.tsb.co.uk/current-accounts/guides/contactless-payments/

How many times a day can I use contactless?

You can use it as many times a day as you want, but every now and then you may be asked to enter your PIN. This is to double-check that it's you who's in possession of your card.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I only started using my TSB card to get the 5% on the contactless transactions. I use it maybe once or twice a week and estimate that I have to put the PIN in every five transactions or so. It always seems to be when it's a higher value transaction, rather than a small one.

I'm fed up with it now - I'm not going to bother with it any more as it's such a small reward for the annoyance factor. My cashback paid this month was just 0.63p I can live without that
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • where_are_we
    where_are_we Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Not many MSE people will agree that a 5% reward is not worth the bother.Perhaps you could use your contactless card more frequently.Yes,you do have to use your pin after every 5 - 10 transactions to enable the contactless to work again.Perhaps you could open a second account and get a second card to use when your first one fails.We have 4 cards and manage £20 cashback most months.
  • Goldiegirl
    Not many MSE people will agree that a 5% reward is not worth the bother.Perhaps you could use your contactless card more frequently.Yes,you do have to use your pin after every 5 - 10 transactions to enable the contactless to work again.Perhaps you could open a second account and get a second card to use when your first one fails.We have 4 cards and manage £20 cashback most months.

The thing is, I don't make that many small transactions each month - I don't want to spend more money than I normally would just to get rewards.

I have my sole TSB account which I've been using for the contactless cash back, my husband has a sole account and we have a joint account.

But I don't want to juggle all those cards around for what would amount to a couple of quid a month.

To my mind, being MSE is being sensible, and using 3 cards to make a maximum of £2 from my normal spending pattern is too much faffing around to be sensible.
  • There are ways to get round the £30 limit - as I have already mentioned in a previous post.(1)Split supermarket shopping into 2 lots or ask the cashier to stop just below £30 and pay twice using your contactless card (2)If a bill is over £30 pay part cash to take it below £30 (3)Ask the retailer to make up 2 bills each below £30. Only last week at my dentist I noticed they had a contactless machine and the receptionist spit the bill into £30 and £21.There is a £5 off £40 voucher at Lidl in todays Metro (free) so for a £41 shop it becomes £36 after the voucher and I will pay £6 cash and £30 contactless. As more and more retailers get contactless terminals the opportunities to use contactless will increase.So being sensible is worth about £240 in a year.All my spending is normal and I would not suggest using the card just to get 5%.
  • Goldiegirl
    There are ways to get round the £30 limit - as I have already mentioned in a previous post.(1)Split supermarket shopping into 2 lots or ask the cashier to stop just below £30 and pay twice using your contactless card (2)If a bill is over £30 pay part cash to take it below £30 (3)Ask the retailer to make up 2 bills each below £30. Only last week at my dentist I noticed they had a contactless machine and the receptionist spit the bill into £30 and £21.There is a £5 off £40 voucher at Lidl in todays Metro (free) so for a £41 shop it becomes £36 after the voucher and I will pay £6 cash and £30 contactless. As more and more retailers get contactless terminals the opportunities to use contactless will increase.So being sensible is worth about £240 in a year.All my spending is normal and I would not suggest using the card just to get 5%.

To be honest, all that is taking it too far for me

I don't want a queue of people behind me while I juggle cards and pay for two lots of shopping

In any event, Sainsbury's (where I do my supermarket shopping) doesn't do contactless in the store I go to, so I wouldn't even have to opportunity to pay for my groceries in that way.

I've rarely earned above £2 a month, and realistically that isn't going to change. Apart from the supermarket I'm a bulk shopper / buy online type of person, so I only get a chance to use contactless for the odd small purchase.

As the offer finishes in January, I reckon I'll loose about £14. I can live with that
  • where_are_we
    where_are_we Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    For online purchases at Amazon you can can purchase £30 worth of Amazon gift cards at Morrisons using your TSB contactless card, get £1.50 cashback and get a 3p per litre off petrol voucher at Morrisons as well. I realise I cannot persuade you as an individual but I hope I have helped others to save a little.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I'm fed up with it now - I'm not going to bother with it any more as it's such a small reward for the annoyance factor. My cashback paid this month was just 0.63p I can live without that
    I'm heading this way too, although I am wondering why the annoyance at missing the occasional 5% seems greater than missing it on the lot!
    masonic wrote: »
    I guess you don't program in Javascript or C++. :p
    I don't, and could barely program a VCR, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
    masonic wrote: »
    I quite like to use the term catch/caught as a surreptitious acknowledgement that the comment was of a more adversarial nature (i.e. they "caught me out").
    Again, I'll stick with rumbled or sussed out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure