What is the future of the forum after we join the MoneySupermarket group?

Comments

• cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Vejovis wrote: »
    How do you know how many forumites use the main site? You don't have to be logged in to use the main site, and I very rarely am (if ever) logged in when I use it.

Various ways, server stats (each visit has the ip addy of the user, where they went etc), google analytics (quite comprehensive tracking), perhaps cookies too.

A site can fairly accurately (not 100 percent without cookies) calculate how many users visit certain areas logged in or not.
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • MattLFC
    MattLFC Posts: 397 Forumite
    nthellworld.com II

Those who we're around back in the day, will remember what I'm talking about.

MSE will become nothing more than an advertising arm of MSM, and gradually the forums will become a ghost town. I now await for Martin's new forum (probably under the alias "Frank").
  • mynameistallulah
    mynameistallulah Posts: 2,238 Forumite
    Its just jealousy really isn't it. Whats really upset me today is a few posts about Martins wife, so Ive reported them. Some people are just so horrid.

PP
    xx

No, it is being able to think for yourself, rather than being a sheep following Martin's "flock".
  • mynameistallulah
    mynameistallulah Posts: 2,238 Forumite
    MattLFC wrote: »
    nthellworld.com II

Those who we're around back in the day, will remember what I'm talking about.

MSE will become nothing more than an advertising arm of MSM, and gradually the forums will become a ghost town. I now await for Martin's new forum (probably under the alias "Frank").

I'd forgotten about that, but yes, you are spot on! ;)
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Fifer wrote: »
    Sorry Martin, did that come out wrong? Very few forum regulars ever venture over to the main site? I find that astonishing.

Just do the math.

In the last year MSE generated it's income from 39 million users and there are barely 1 million forum members.

Those who think that somehow MSE makes it's money forum contributors should think again. The vast majority of people coming to the site are looking for the best deals recommended by Martin Lewis and are not interested in the views of anonymous souls on an internet forum. And judging by some of the ridiculous posts on this topic, who can blame them?
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Vejovis wrote: »
    How do you know how many forumites use the main site? You don't have to be logged in to use the main site, and I very rarely am (if ever) logged in when I use it.

IP tracking and cookies. Even a dynamic IP can be negated by cookies. Login not required.
  • DelBoyPhil
    DelBoyPhil Posts: 875 Forumite
    The post he made was another blah blah blah and means nothing. People are not stupid. :money: we should have another image <--- with ML sticking his finger up as us!

People do remember that 90% of the stuff he blabs on about comes from the members of this forum, Without the members he was nothing.. Now hes something cos hes got 87 million and now we are nothing!
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Just do the math.

In the last year MSE generated it's income from 39 million users and there are barely 1 million forum members.

Those who think that somehow MSE makes it's money forum contributors should think again. The vast majority of people coming to the site are looking for the best deals recommended by Martin Lewis and are not interested in the views of anonymous souls on an internet forum. And judging by some of the ridiculous posts on this topic, who can blame them?

Too simplistic, the main site would get only a fraction of the visitors without the forum, as the forum keeps the likes of google delirously happy due to its constant updating.

This means, the main sites deals get better placements in search engines.

Drop the forum, and they would have to pull out considerably more for direct advertising to attract users.

The forum is also chock full of advertising, getting users to sign up for the weekly email etc, as well as links to the various deals.

So a user can find the main site, simply because the googled for pretty much any topic under the sun that has been covered numerous times in the forum.

They read the posts, then say, hmm whats this tip about, oooh a weekly tip email etc etc. They may never visit the forum again, but they are now signed up to the marketing....
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just do the math.

I million members is a lot for a forum, many people will 'lurk' in the forums and 'glean' information from it without ever joining as a member. :)

I agree with others in that this forum helped immensely in the success of MSE website.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No, it is being able to think for yourself, rather than being a sheep following Martin's "flock".

Can I ask then why you keep coming back to join the "flock" :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure