PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Location Location Location called me!

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wasnt pregnant back then and wasnt planning on being pregnant!
    This sounds more like a Grand Designs scenario (they always seem to end up pregnant and living in a caravan in the middle of a building site in winter).
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    That's what I am worried about. I work full time, so this could be a time consuming exercise.

We already had AIP and deposit in the bank as we have lost out on other properties after offer had been accepted previously.

Not too sure I want people seeing me on tv who hadn't seen me in years and them wondering what on earth happened to me!

I am now pregnant so might not be the most glamorous I may have once been! haha

Could get a second programme when they revisit you to meet your baby and see how you are getting on.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • When dealing with television people it is worth remembering that their job is making television programmes. In this case do not consider them to be the charity arm of the estate agency industry.

They will be happy to manufacture outcomes to look good on the programme, they’re working for their advertisers, not for you. On the day(s) be prepared to be disappointed that the schedule doesn't revolve around you.

That said it may turn out to be useful.
  • You might get so excited by the original features of an over budget house that you go in to early labour and have your baby delivered by Phil Spencer. That would be a ratings winner for sure.
  • If you are selected are you sure you are happy with the programme being repeated for years and years?

Make sure you don't have any bad hair or clothes days, or you will cringe every time someone says ' Saw you on L L L the other day'
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 11:12AM
    I wasnt pregnant back then and wasnt planning on being pregnant!

But that's a lovely thing. And your baby will see that program in future years and be really impressed by their first TV appearance. You might even be living in the house you found!

All in all, it's not something that you get to do every day and for that reason I am sure it will be fun.

You applied for a reason. Think of all the things that could go right and be fun. Please don't let the annoying little voice in your head start coming up with ridiculous reasons not to. What other people think really doesn't matter, but if anyone I ever knew was on there, I'd just be rooting for them :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Been watching Location for years and I have yet to see them portraying a couple as a complete disaster (like those wonderful 'benefits' programmes). If a hair is out of place, I'm sure someone will tell you (and a quick look in a mirror helps). No one on this planet can dress more unflatteringly than Kirsty (much as I love her lol).

And you will learn a lot about what you really do want from House hunting.., maybe even find a house that perhaps you wouldn't have looked at. Phil and Kirsty do seem to be able to assess what a house is worth and bargaining a price down, help deal with difficulties when making an offer. This sort of help is very expensive if you are paying for it.

Basically I'd bite their arm off lol.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Go for it!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Go for it

What have you got to lose? As long as you both are on the same page and are not the types to bicker and snipe, it should be fun
  • Levs01
    Levs01 Posts: 224 Forumite
    Go for it. You applied for a reason and they have been doing it for years so know what they are doing. You haven't found anywhere alone so maybe this is the help you need.

As for people you haven't seen for years seeing you, you haven't seen them
    In years for a reason. The only opinions that matter are your family and loved ones around you now, not 'Clare from year 4 from 15 years ago'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure