Have Ebico packed up?

jk0
jk0 Posts: 3,479
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
I've been trying to view Ebico's website to show one of my tenants their night owl tariff, but my browser won't connect. Have they packed up?

Comments

• By the looks of it their website is hosted by ukfast, who's data centre got taken down by a pickaxe today.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/12/pickaxe_cuts_through_cable_kos_ukfast_datacentre/
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Bub. They're back!
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My guess is that they may well go bust if their Zero and Prepaid tariffs increase this month which is the month their price guarantee expires. They have already lost their WHD customers because their new partner RHE doesn't provide WHD so how many others will be lost if their prices increase.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I diagree. The relatively low percentage of customers using the WHD will not have caused any great loss in terms of numbers of customers. Customers staying with SSE due to inertia when Ebico moved to RHE would have been a bigger issue and that hasn't sent them into bankruptcy.

BTW they won't be increasing prices this month because its already too late. I would think the earliest rise that is realisticly possible would be early Feb.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Xbigman wrote: »
    I diagree. The relatively low percentage of customers using the WHD will not have caused any great loss in terms of numbers of customers. Customers staying with SSE due to inertia when Ebico moved to RHE would have been a bigger issue and that hasn't sent them into bankruptcy.

I agree, and any transient effect will have been partially negated when SSE decided to stop their zero tariff after encouraging Ebico customers to stay with them. If you were previously an Ebico customer on a zero SC tariff it is unlikely to have taken too long to switch back to Ebico when SSE pulled the plug.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Anthorn
    Forumite
    It's a simple question of economics and the best deal. RHE/Ebico Zero in my region, Eastern, do not at this time offer the cheapest tariff. Who we are considering are low users and those consumers who are not low users will have moved to other tariffs with a lower unit charge albeit with a higher daily standing charge. If we look at dual fuel tariffs in my region, Eastern, Ebico does not provide a saving over my current Scottish Power Saver December 2018 tariff. In fact Ebico costs £2.95p per year more and are equal to RHE alone.

It's clear at least in my region, that Ebico are borderline when it comes to low users and more expensive for dual fuel. If they increase prices which is likely given RHE's record they will cease to be competitive.

All this is of course speculation, what we might refer to as an educated guess. All we have at this time is that the Zero and Prepay tariffs are guaranteed to have no price increase until December 2017. What next?
  • Anthorn wrote: »
    It's a simple question of economics and the best deal. RHE/Ebico Zero in my region, Eastern, do not at this time offer the cheapest tariff. Who we are considering are low users and those consumers who are not low users will have moved to other tariffs with a lower unit charge albeit with a higher daily standing charge. If we look at dual fuel tariffs in my region, Eastern, Ebico does not provide a saving over my current Scottish Power Saver December 2018 tariff. In fact Ebico costs £2.95p per year more and are equal to RHE alone.

It's clear at least in my region, that Ebico are borderline when it comes to low users and more expensive for dual fuel. If they increase prices which is likely given RHE's record they will cease to be competitive.

All this is of course speculation, what we might refer to as an educated guess. All we have at this time is that the Zero and Prepay tariffs are guaranteed to have no price increase until December 2017. What next?

Thought prepay could only change twice a year. Last change was October, next recalculation will be April 18.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anthorn wrote: »

But as we all know, 'cheapest' varies from customer to customer - and what you consider 'low' I might consider 'high'.

As a dual fuel customer in the Eastern region, Ebico are far and away the cheapest provider. But that is for my personal circumstances, not yours.

Almost certainly a price rise, but many months after the price rise imposed on the customers who decided to stay with SSE, and after price rises imposed by most other suppliers.

I'm expecting an above average rise, which will lead to the Ebico critics all chorusing 'told you so'. But I'd rather have had the cheaper rates I've enjoyed so far and think about switching in the New Year, than to have been paying significantly more since March last year.
  • Anthorn
    Forumite
    edited 14 December 2017 at 5:57PM
    EachPenny wrote: »
    But as we all know, 'cheapest' varies from customer to customer - and what you consider 'low' I might consider 'high'.

As a dual fuel customer in the Eastern region, Ebico are far and away the cheapest provider. But that is for my personal circumstances, not yours.

One dual fuel customer in the Eastern region is the same as another dual fuel customer in the Eastern region if they both have the same tariff and supplier. Prices will be the same. If we look at the Uswitch app comparison the cheapest is Outfox The Market with a saving of £89.22p compared with my existing tariff Scottish Power Online Saver December 2018. Ebico on dual fuel has hit the skids and costs £2.89p more and that is exactly the same as RHE.
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Almost certainly a price rise, but many months after the price rise imposed on the customers who decided to stay with SSE, and after price rises imposed by most other suppliers.

I'm expecting an above average rise, which will lead to the Ebico critics all chorusing 'told you so'. But I'd rather have had the cheaper rates I've enjoyed so far and think about switching in the New Year, than to have been paying significantly more since March last year.

That's my whole point: Ebico is uncompetitive now and are likely to be even more uncompetitive if they increase prices in line with RHE. So it could be a case of, "Bye-bye Ebico. Have a great life".
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    One dual fuel customer in the Eastern region is the same as another dual fuel customer in the Eastern region if they both have the same tariff and supplier. Prices will be the same. If we look at the Uswitch app comparison the cheapest is Outfox The Market with a saving of £89.22p compared with my existing tariff Scottish Power Online Saver December 2018. Ebico on dual fuel has hit the skids and costs £2.89p more and that is exactly the same as RHE.

Prices might be the same, but the costs each customer pays will be different. I've just done a uSwitch comparison with my details and Ebico still comes out the cheapest. The next cheapest is SP Online Fixed Price Energy December 2018 which comes out at around £37 more expensive.
    That's my whole point: Ebico is uncompetitive now and are likely to be even more uncompetitive if they increase prices in line with RHE. So it could be a case of, "Bye-bye Ebico. Have a great life".

Perhaps for someone who has the same consumption levels as you, but other people may well be enjoying the cheapest deal provided by Ebico. We'll have to wait and see what happens to their prices in future, but since you aren't an Ebico customer then for you we know for sure that it won't be a case of "Bye-bye Ebico. Have a great life".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport