PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Friday 1 December 2017

nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 1 December 2017 at 7:27AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Friday 1 December 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Still dark, cold frosty and a light dusting of icy/sleety snow - we didn't get this until late yesterday afternoon, and then it was sleet more than snow. It was bitterly cold yesterday same is forecast for today but then supposed to warm up a bit, we'll see.

Dinner last night was HM chicken, bacon and mushroom pie, mash, carrots, peas and gravy - no LO's - all eaten and enjoyed. Tonight DH is expecting to be on a later finish so I'll cook for the boys and myself first and then DH when he gets in.

Yesterday I wasn't as productive as I could have been, although I did get some jobs done, I did keep the WM busy until the dirty wash basket was empty and everything dried too, so must tackle the ironing pile, but that won't take too long. I do also need to get the xmas puds made, I'll get going with those once I get back from food shopping, as they can be steaming whilst I do other jobs. I did run the hoover over and dust and cleaned both bathrooms, so whilst not a deep clean, it looks presentable. I had a problem with my car alarm also - so spent some time sat at the garage whilst they very kindly took a look at it for me, seems to have been the remote control for the alarm, new batteries and at the moment seems to be ok - we'll see. Hubby's watch strap also broke yesterday, and he's only had it a year, and it's got a 5 year guarantee on it and of course we can't find any paperwork, and of course the fact we can't find any paperwork for his watch is my fault! I'll be taking into the local branch of the jewellers where we bought it and will see what they can do, if not, i'll be looking for a manufacturers customer services dept no. and will go straight to them. It wasn't a cheap watch either, so hoping they have some good customer service.

Will just crack on today and get done as much as possible.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Morning nmlc and thank you for starting the thread.

Today seems a tiny bit less cold here, still not a flake of snow, so far at least.

I need to do the Friday Tidy but it isn't much as I've been at home. I plan to wipe down the paintwork in the kitchen, which needs regular attention and is not a job with huge appeal.

I checked my messages on laptop yesterday, to cut down on the work next week and had a look at my calendar, wish I hadn't now!

I'll be back later to see if Tru has posted.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Good morning all, and thanks Nmlc.
    It's very cold here, and snow and ice still lying from yesterday. We'll see what today brings. I've got shopping to do, so it will be big coat and boots I think.
    Tea last night was shepherds pie with sprouts, peas, swede and carrots, comfort food. Tonight it will be chips and something, probably fish. Ds and family visiting tomorrow, and dgd staying over tomorrow night, we're putting the tree up tomorrow. We always put the tree up on the first weekend in December, it's a tradition left over from when the three children were young. It's not a real tree - we learned our lesson when the kids were young - put a real tree up far too early and by Christmas Day it was nearly bald.
    Have a good day everyone, stay warm and go carefully if it's icy.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning All

Cold and frosty again, hope the snow stays away, we had a couple of flurrys yesterday.

Nothing much happened at the school fair yesterday, sold a couple of things but unless you had sweets or cheap toys no-one was interested. Ah well, will gift everything over the festive season.

Looking forward to tru's Christmas Corner, will check in later!

Happy Friday, take care. XX
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone

Dumpling I was really pleased to read that Becky sounded much more upbeat when you spoke to her on the phone. I hope that she has a good visit this weekend and you all have a good time putting up the Christmas tree.

Cranky did you make the soda bread? I used to make it a lot and really enjoy home made soda bread. Now you have given me the idea I will make some as soon as I feel up to it, I much prefer it to ‘normal’ bread.

Gers I’m not surprised you felt a bit wobbly on Wednesday, I have heard other people say that they were ok at the time but it hit them a few days later. It’s good that your head is starting to get better. Hope you enjoyed the shortbread. I have put the date in my diary so that I can join you next year, I really like shortbread and I always make some for over the Christmas period.

Nelski I agree. What Iain and Amir did eating those treats was terrible, but as you say Amir’s behaviour in letting Iain take all of the blame was horrible.

Judi your new granddaughter looks adorable, so sweet.

I went to the doctors yesterday as arranged for the nurse to have a look at my knee and she thought that the pain I’m still in is disproportionate to the injury so she got my GP to see me again. He thinks that there may well be a fracture just below the knee so I’ve got a form to go and have an x-ray. I’ve phoned for an appointment and can’t get one for two weeks but I can go and sit and wait, so that is where I’m off to today. The lady I spoke to said it can be up to a 4 hours wait, so I will take a book. I’m going to splash out on a taxi and go early this morning. Normally I would walk to this particular hospital but don’t think I want to risk trying to walk there.

As I’m out anyhow I will stop off in the town on the way back and get a couple more ready meals. A friend has offered to get me some when she goes shopping on Saturday but I can have a look at what they have and see what I fancy.

Hugs to everyone else who is poorly at the moment and struggling.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Morning all :wave:

How did it get to be December already.:eek:

I start the month with a big painful spot on my nose, a very dodgy laptop screen and severely lacking in sleep :p...things can but improve ;)

((hugs)) to anyone in need and take care all.

Have a good day :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    christmas_music_zpse1961ec4.jpg[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    Hark the herald angels sing
    Glory to the newborn King!
    Peace on earth and mercy mild
    God and sinners reconciled :xmassmile
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In my calendar – a reindeer :rudolf:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :santa2: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Not much going on here, I've been coughing, sneezing and shivering under a blanket for most of the day then feeling a massive sense of achievement when I've had a little burst of energy and managed to hoover one whole room :D:D It seems to be easing off now so hopefully my normal routine will make a gradual comeback over the next few days. I'm soooo bored![/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Thanks Tru!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,761 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good morning all.

Karcher I changed the House Troll's laptop screen (he stood on it) by buying a new screen (£39) off Amazon then watching a youtube video. What I know about computer hardware could be written on the back of a matchbox but I did it because Currys charge about £60 just to lift your device across their counter.

Hollyharvey If there isn't a fracture then you may have damaged the ligaments. I banged my knee on the corner of the table once and it was 3 months before I could walk properly again. I did make the soda bread. It'a a bit heavier than usual as I used milk with a bit of yogurt stirred in rather than buttermilk, but I just had some as toast for breakfast and it's fine.

I'm having a baking day today. My friend has an advent party every year for her disabled son. He is dairy free so I will be making suitably dairy free cakes, which should mean that as they are home made I can eat them too, yay. It'll mean lots of sit down breaks but it should be ok.

Thank you for the carol Tru. I'm not sure what I had in my calendar today. The HT settled on "It's a chocolate alien mum" :rotfl:
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,031 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Good morning everyone.

First tune of the Christmas season - thanks so much tru, even a bah humbug person such as me loves it!

This morning I’m going to go into town early doors. I have to return a tablet cover to the fruit shop and the go round the Christmas market in George Square. I’ll have a free coffee in the V*rgin money lounge to rest my back which gets sore these days, probably because I don’t walk as much as I should!

DM will have a shower and I’ll change her bed linen whilst she’s doing that. Think she’ll spend most of the day out of bed.

Whatever is on the agenda I wish every a happy Friday.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Happy 1st of December everyone :wave:

Tru lovely thank you
    Holly hope you don't have too long a wait today. Ultimately though you need to know as walking round on a fracture is going to always be painful. Make the most of a chance to chill and enjoy your book. My last hospital appointment I expected a similar wait so went equipped with books ipad even puzzle collections, I also bought a yummy M+S sandwich and the obligatory Percy Pigs ........youve guessed it I was first in :rotfl: felt disappointed :D
    DumplingHope you have a lovely birthday weekend with Becky x

Really cold here this morning my hands stuck to the bins when I was putting them out at 6 :eek:

Well thats it I guess the madness that is Christmas starts proper now.
    Today is work and a Friday tidy around and I must get round to picking my stuff up from Asda.

Mum rang last night (that in itself is as rare as hens teeth) she wants me to go and buy myself a present that she will pay for. I know her hearts in the right place for once but I hate forcing myself to buy a present ....I am one of those very lucky people who needs nothing atm and I dont feel I even want anything ....any ideas will be gratefully accepted. Hoping this is a positive start with mum maybe a long road but baby steps for now.

had freezer sausage casserole and mash last night which was gooooood :) I have a HM meat and pot pie for tonight probably with veg arriving on the Asda van later :) I seem to have a bit of a fancy for leeks at the moment (ooooh errr missis) so will likely be a mix of sprouts and leeks

Right best crack on my fingers are just about defrosted :) have a great day all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure