Banks rejecting claim using Data Protection act

I have recently had replies from GE Money, Lloyds and HSBC. All are rejecting my claims saying that the account cannot be found as it was over 6 years ago they will have "securely" destroyed their records and I will have to provide original agreement paperwork.
This is not possible as I do not have the original paperwork, yet Barclays and Halifax banks were able to find my account information from even further back ( 20 years).
Am I being robbed off and lied to by these banks.

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No you're not
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The data protection act requires firms to destroy data when it is no longer required. Interpretation allows firms to decide how long that is. However, the FCA issue guidance and 6 years is most frequently advised timescale for things that are not high risk or have regulatory issues.

Small firms are likely to destroy data quicker than the banks. For example, banks have to maintain a record of account numbers issued when linked to sort codes. Whilst paperwork may be long gone, the account code linked to that account number would tell them the type of account that went with it. For example, Lloyds had an account code that indicated personal loan with PPI and a different code for without. This begins to make it easier to recreate data.

Barclays have been bringing long filed away paper records back onto their systems. They used a method of archive rather than actual destruction and that allows for bring records back. Others did not.

So, it really varies with the bank and it will vary on the timescale and the sort of data they will have and how it is filed.

If you are an existing customer within their group, they will typically hold data for much longer than when the relationship has ended.

Bottom line is that if you don't believe them, then spend £10 per bank and do a data subject access request.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure