Vegan Living & Ethical Buying

Options

Comments

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    suzy_g wrote: »
    While opposition to the killing of animals is a common reason cited by vegetarians, it’s often overlooked that dairy production also involves slaughter. Male calves are removed from their mother at birth and killed or exported to the continent for veal production.* Female calves are kept to become the next generation of milk-producers.Since 2010 Soil Association organic standards have specified that licensees must have a plan to end the practice of culling newborn calves within five years.
    Another big reason people for going veggie or vegan is to protect the environment. Vast deforestation is taking place in Latin America to make room for soya cultivation, and with 97% of the crop being grown to feed animals for meat or dairy production, not to mention methane from farm animals which contributes 18% of global greenhouse gas emissions.
    Meat production also impacts on human rights - while people in some countries are starving, one third of the world's grain production is being fed to farmed animals in rich countries.
    Because of the demand for animal feed, a Western meat-based diet uses four and a half times more land than is necessary for a vegan diet and two and a quarter times more than for a vegetarian diet. NigeWick This was copied from ethical consumer sorry I forgot how to do links
    I happily eat veal as it is often healthier than older animal meat. Animals should be fed their natural foods (grass for beef & sheep) and not grains which are harmful to both animals and humans. Part of the meat problem is that we do not eat all of the animal as we used to which is also healthier for us due to the innards having more nutrients than muscle meat.

Please explain how having huge monocrop fields fed with chemicals and doused in poison can "save the environment" and keep our biodiversity.

When humans started growing grains life expectancy went down to about 25 and did not go up again until there were advances in medical treatments.

We agree that most animals for meat are not treated correctly but to me that does not mean we should not eat them, just that we should be prepared to pay for properly fed and cared for ones. I for one do not want to eat beasts fed grains & other animals and pumped up with steroids & other drugs to keep them from dying of diseases in unnatural conditions.

As to methane, far better to stop burning fossil fuels than stop eating meat. Think about global warming releasing the methane from areas of permafrost.

On to land use, there is growing evidence that the human population will peak at a bit over 10 billion. Permaculture methods that are completely sustainable are capable of feeding 12 - 13 billion and include natural animal husbandry.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I think suzyg covered it!!
    Nah, we're just getting started. ;)
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    Nah, we're just getting started. ;)

Not on my thread please!! :rotfl:

I've been off line for a while as I have had flu :( not doing that again - I've never had it before and I was seriously unimpressed!! ;)

I haven't eaten much over the past couple of weeks as a result but it has given my salad leaves time to grow so it's not all bad :D The tomatoes are doing really well too and I am pretty hopeful for the aubergine!

I am having a day of sorting out the house today - I have yet to establish any routines as I had the flu so need to get it done so that I can start tomorrow- I am determined to make my life easier!!

If I get done early enough, I will hopefully get a couple of wines on - I really haven't kept up with my winemaking over the past year since I lost my dog so I am looking forward to re-discovering what I have (lots of demijohns under the bed in the spare room ;) ) and adding to it over the next year - I am really hoping that we have good weather when the elderflowers are in bloom so that I can make some cordial too. :D

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend :D
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Corrr would love some of that cordial!!! :D:D
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Flill
    Flill Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    It's pretty awesome! It makes me happier when I meet people who want to do something for our planet.
  • Patrick_Stewart
    Options
    Well done Squirrelgirl, great to see someone dedicating themselves to responsible, sustainable living. We could all take a few pages from your book.
    How did you get on with energy suppliers? I was considering Good Energy.

As for Permaculture, sounds fantastic, but as with so many practices that are good for the planet these days it really starts with the individual because at the moment governments etc are not acting fast enough.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi squirrelgirl,

Have you seen the Zero Waste Girl blog? I don't believe she's vegan but I think the concept would interest you!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hairbrushes needed replacing. Both mine and OH's were missing a few bristles so I am replacing with bamboo ones!
    OH and I have both got pay rises, his is due to getting a new job and being paid quite a bit more, mine is only small rise. This in mind I am going to try the veg boxes again. Less packaging just a box which is recycled.
    Been using reusable sanitary products for 6 months now and they have been a massive success, would never go back to disposables! These are just so much more convenient, I never run out now!
    It was time to change energy supplier. I could have gone with EDF and saved a bit but chose Ecotricity, they cost the same as my current supplier but I will be using greener energy plus I get free chocolate for switching!
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Flill wrote: »
    It's pretty awesome! It makes me happier when I meet people who want to do something for our planet.
    As for Permaculture, sounds fantastic, but as with so many practices that are good for the planet these days it really starts with the individual because at the moment governments etc are not acting fast enough.
    having just come back from Iceland and seeing how quickly the glaciers are melting and receding, I couldn't agree with you guys more!! :(
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Found there is a cropshare veg scheme in my area. Not for profit, coop company, cheaper than the main veg box delivery companies. All organic, seasonal and locally sourced, comes in a reusable cotton bag and are picked up from collection points. Any bags that go uncollected and any excess stock goes straight to the local food cycle which repurposes to charities, lunch clubs and food banks food to reduce food waste. Been getting very annoyed with the amount of unnecessary plastic packaging on fruit and veg at supermarkets!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback