PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Faulty flask?????

Options
I've got a question I'm hoping someone can help me with....I make my DH a flask of coffee to take to work. It stays fairly hot for about 3/4 of the day. But when I give him the same flask of 2 cup a soups it's completely cold by mid-morning. And I can't work out why?!?!?

In theory the coffee goes in colder as it has a little milk in too, so why is this happening, and is there anything I can do to stop it?

I plan to give him 'proper' soup but don't want to waste it in case it doesn't work!;)

Hope someone can help
Total Debt January 2014 £10,725.44

MAKING MONEY IN 2014: £371.84
£2 Saver #89 £16 ;) 20p Saver #45 £2.40
Crazy Clothing Challenge 2014 #54 £46.73 / £150

Comments

• allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you fill the flask with hot water and let it stand for a couple of minutes before filling it?

Also, how is he storing it? If you wrap the whole thing in a bit of bubble wrap of an old sweater it'll stay warm for longer.

Is it screwed together tightly so the vacuum is maintained between the outer bottle and the inner flask?
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have absolutley no idea why but cupasoups go cold really quickly... I'm sure home made soup will be fine! - mine always is!
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • minniepoos_2
    Options
    allydowd wrote: »
    Do you fill the flask with hot water and let it stand for a couple of minutes before filling it?

No, I used to, but didn't have time one day and haven't since! Might have to start again.

Also, how is he storing it? If you wrap the whole thing in a bit of bubble wrap of an old sweater it'll stay warm for longer.

It's just in his rucksack - could get him to wrap it up I suppose

Is it screwed together tightly so the vacuum is maintained between the outer bottle and the inner flask?

It's one of the stainless steel ones, so doesn't come apart.
    Psykicpup wrote: »
    I have absolutley no idea why but cupasoups go cold really quickly... I'm sure home made soup will be fine! - mine always is!

Quite relieved to hear someone else has found the same phenomenon! Maybe I should just brave it with the good stuff :D

Thanks ever so much for your replies!

• little_sarah_2
    Options
    I bought OH one of the New Scientist Last Word books for Xmas, and this was one of the questions in it. I think it's got something to do with the difference in heat retaining properties of liquids (tea, coffee) than viscous fluids (soup) -basically soup is always going to cool quicker, it's not your flask.

I'll see if I can find the book to give you a more detailed answer.
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    my OH fills his flask with boiling water. then if he fancys tea - he uses a teabag. cupasoup he takes in the foil pouch. or just a bovril cube. he can have whatever he wants cos its plain water in flask. he takes the milk in separate container. he fills the flask about 7.30 and when he comes home about 3 - 4 the water is hot - not boiling admittedly - but hot enough for coffee.
  • little_sarah_2
    Options
    I found the book and I can't expand on the answer any more because it gets beyond my level of understanding!
    But it does say that potato soup and French onion soup hold their heat longer than other varieties - apparently because of their high water content.
  • lizzyshep
    lizzyshep Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I got a wide necked flask from Sainsbury's and I take soup or stew to work in it, it's usually luke warm by lunchtime! I thought the flask wa faulty because I can feel the outside gets warm after I have filled it, and I thought that shouldn't happen.
    April Grocery Challenge: £80/£64.39
    March No Spend Days: 15/7
  • minniepoos_2
    Options
    tandraig wrote: »
    my OH fills his flask with boiling water. then if he fancys tea - he uses a teabag. cupasoup he takes in the foil pouch. or just a bovril cube. he can have whatever he wants cos its plain water in flask. he takes the milk in separate container. he fills the flask about 7.30 and when he comes home about 3 - 4 the water is hot - not boiling admittedly - but hot enough for coffee.

What a simple idea - will be trying this next week. Thanks! :beer:
    I found the book and I can't expand on the answer any more because it gets beyond my level of understanding!

I was a bit worried that you'd put some really technical answer that I totally wouldn't get!!! :rotfl:

• minniepoos_2
    Options
    lizzyshep wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. I got a wide necked flask from Sainsbury's and I take soup or stew to work in it, it's usually luke warm by lunchtime! I thought the flask wa faulty because I can feel the outside gets warm after I have filled it, and I thought that shouldn't happen.

I didn't really explain it properly but that's EXACTLY what happens to ours!

• tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    I think watery soups have a better chance of staying hotter in flasks!
    the strangest thing i have put in wide neck flask is spag bol for my youngest sons school lunch!!! which he complained wasnt hot enough! so water stays hot - more solid stuff doesnt? anyone else found this?
    and yes I used to put boiling water in to heat the flask first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure