PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

need frosting/icing recipe ideas for wedding cake

Options
I posted this first in the wedding section and was directed here for better advice.
I cannot bake so am ordering cakes in 3 different flavours for my wedding and plan on icing them myself.I want to do an american style frosting or butter icing rather than the royal icing normally used.I need recipes to try out please.
My cakes will be plain victoria sponge,carrot cake and chocolate cake.They will all come without icing and what I want to do is have them end up looking like a 3 tier wedding cake but have the icing in flavours to suit the cakes.
I thought a plain frosting on the victoria sponge maybe with a touch of vanilla flavour,either the same on the carrot cake or maybe with a touch of orange or lemon to add a different flavour.The tricky one is the chocolate cake,I want this iced in white frosing too so I thought perhaps a white chocolate flavour icing as I really don't think anything else would go well.Has anyone had or made white chocolate icing before?
Tips and ideas for all these please.I cannot bake at all,always mess it up,but I am sure I can manage some icing:o
"Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".

Comments

• celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I just used a standard butter icing for wedding cakes - bear in mind it won't be bright white though (this depends on the butter, some are paler than others) and you will have to do it a few days before.

Equal parts icing sugar and butter, beat with an electric whisk until it goes pale then add your flavourings.

For the carrot cake, you could try a cream cheese frosting - I don't have exact measurments on me, but I will look it up when I get home. I use drained cottage cheese, a little bit of butter then and pass it through a sieve. This one has the advantage of having a brighter white finish and it sets nicely too. You can leave this outof the fridge for a week and it's fine.

I've tried to make white chocolate icing before and it's never worked for me - all I ended up doing in the end was painting chocolate sponges with thin layers of white chocolate (takes days :( ) then putting a very thin layer of frosting over that - that way it sort of tastes of white chocolate. You can take the sweet edge off of normal butter cream by adding a little bit of thick double cream or clotted cream to it in place of some of the butter - but bear in mind you won't be able leave it hanging about for ages.
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    how long before the day do youwant to be icing them?

traditonally a carrot cake is iced with a cream cheese frosting (butter, cream cheese and icing sugar) and I adore plain sponge also iced with cream cheese frosting - its less greasy and sickly than buttercream but the down side is it won't keep as well and will need refridgerating till the day. I also have a delish recipe for a white choc cream cheese frosting if you are interested (not to hand)

However if you want to go for buttercream the traditional one is twice the weight of icing sugar to butter (don't even consdier using marge), beat togethr furiously and add milk to get a spreadable consistency and flavouring of choice. Again I have a white choc fudge icing recipe I can post but not to hand.

Rememeber though that buttercream icing will always be slightly yellow and not pure white due to the butter. If you want a pure white frosting you'll need american frosting (egg white, glucose and sugar whisked over heat so its kind of meringue-y). This could be flavoured with vanilla or lemon but not white chocolate. Again most white chocolate icing will be cream rather than pure white due to the choc.

Anyway Ill stop wittering now - can you tell I love cake??
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • the_mrs_2
    Options
    Have a look at this page,loads of frosting recipes
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/356/ Hope this helps.
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Just a thought but don't forget that a traditional three tier cake is fruit cake and not sponges. If you want then to stand on each other you will need some sort of frame as they will sink into each other if you just pile them up.

I had a four tier cake which even though it was a fruit one had to have a specially make set of supports. This was 30 years ago - these days there are some really nice stands that you can hire for the occasion.

Good luck I'm sure you will find all the info you need with the help of everyone here.
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    I think I will have to display the cakes on one of those stands which have the cakes in a sweep at different heights rather than stacked on top of each other.
    I can ice the cakes on the morning of the wedding or the night before as we are staying at the venue for a week.I dont mind doing this and I will have time as the ceremony isnt until the afternoon.
    For the white chocolate icing,I have seen somewhere a white chocolate thing in a tub with bread sticks to dip in it.I think this may be soft enough to fold into a white frosting and get the chocolate flavour.Does anyone know what I am talking about?I cant remember the name of the chocolate dip thing,and do you think that might work.
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    rachbc wrote: »
    how long before the day do youwant to be icing them?

traditonally a carrot cake is iced with a cream cheese frosting (butter, cream cheese and icing sugar) and I adore plain sponge also iced with cream cheese frosting - its less greasy and sickly than buttercream but the down side is it won't keep as well and will need refridgerating till the day. I also have a delish recipe for a white choc cream cheese frosting if you are interested (not to hand)

However if you want to go for buttercream the traditional one is twice the weight of icing sugar to butter (don't even consdier using marge), beat togethr furiously and add milk to get a spreadable consistency and flavouring of choice. Again I have a white choc fudge icing recipe I can post but not to hand.

Rememeber though that buttercream icing will always be slightly yellow and not pure white due to the butter. If you want a pure white frosting you'll need american frosting (egg white, glucose and sugar whisked over heat so its kind of meringue-y). This could be flavoured with vanilla or lemon but not white chocolate. Again most white chocolate icing will be cream rather than pure white due to the choc.

Anyway Ill stop wittering now - can you tell I love cake??

Oh yes please :T to posting both the white chocolate recipes when you have time.I will have to try them all.Still on a calorie controlled diet for the wedding so I will have to eat just cake some days;)
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    I've just used the Betty Crocker cake topping in the tub (£1.95 ish) for my DD's birthday cake. It is quite soft. You may like to try an experiment.
    Get the vanilla topping tub and mix with some high quality melted white choc. It should be quite easy to coat a cake and adding the choc will give it a firmer finish.

If I think of anything else I'll post.
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this cake being made to precise instructions from the bride??

I only ask this because it seems a rather odd combination for a wedding cake

Lesleyxx
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    i think op IS the bride - and as such can have whatever cake combo she wants! Diff flavoured tiers is very popular these days - better than boring fruit cake that no one eats.

white choc cream cheese icing (utterly divine esp on lemon cake)
    1lb cream cheese
    6 tablespoons soften butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    8 oz white choc

melt choc in bowl over simmering water and allow to cool slightly
    beat the butter and cream cheese tigether for at least 3 mins til smooth and creamy the slowly beat in the lukewarm choc and vanilla.

White choc buttercream (very sweet and rich)

12oz butter
    6 tablespoons milk
    9oz whie choc
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3 cups (US cup 250ml) of icing sugar

Melt choc in bowl over hot water, cool for 5-10 mins
    Beat butter til creamy (ideally use electric whisk, will take much longer with a spoon), beat in milk and vanilla followed by the choc and gradually add the sugar.

HTH - I could talk weddings and cakes all day so feel free to pm me if you want any more advice!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    ravylesley wrote: »
    Is this cake being made to precise instructions from the bride??

I only ask this because it seems a rather odd combination for a wedding cake

Lesleyxx

The cake is for my own wedding :D ,I suppose I am rather an odd bride.
    I dont like traditional fruit cakes and I am allergic to marzipan but I still wanted quite a traditional looking wedding cake so am going for 3 tiers,3 different flavours all white(or as close as I can get to white) iced, so everyone can have their favourite on the day.I love carrot cake,or carrot and orange cake so thats what I am having.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure