Connecting an android box to Sky router?

I'm trying to connect my android box directly to my Sky hub router so I can use it ethernet and am using a Cat 5 cable. I noticed that no lights are flashing on on the rear of the hub port I am using to indicate there is a connection. I have tried the other ports too.
Does this wire actually work on a Sky hub as the yellow wire supplied with the hub that connects to my PC works fine and I have the yellow/ green lights on for this port to confirm this

Any help appreciated
F x
:j

Comments

• Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Check you're connecting it to the correct port on the Sky hub (from memory some of them are reserved for connecting Sky boxes*).
    Some supplied routers now also have a telephone over IP port (I'm not sure if Sky do, but the VM superhub 3 has two in addition to it's 4 normal ports).
    The cable should be standard if it's a network cable, but it could be damaged.

Generally if no lights are flashing on the hub/switch/router/network interface it means either the cable is not in properly/damaged, the ports used are broken (at one end or the other), or disabled/reserved for specific hardware.

Check the port you're plugging into at the router end, check the cable (either either swap it out with a known good one, or connect to a port you know is working with a device you know is working).

*A stupid thing if it's using a standard network connector.
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    from what i remember the sky router only has two ports and the other holes are for other stuff.

if the lights come on with your pc, and you plug that same cable into your android box, then the light again should come on, on the router.

I would suspect if LEDs does not come on with the exact same pc set up, then it is the android box at fault
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Using the right cable? CAT5 but is it a crossover cable?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Perhaps specify what you mean by "android box"... smartphone ? tablet ? chromebook ? chromebox ? tv box ?

make and model ?
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Also ensure your hub settings are correct,ISPs tend to block certain things,google my isp blocking Kodi.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure