Rent from g/f's daughter

Hello all,

A couple of years ago, my g/f and her children moved into my house. The house (deeds and mortgage) are in my name only.

One of her children has just turned 18, and is registered as disabled, so receives certain benefits.

My question is - should I be charging her (adult child) rent? I've never had to deal with the benefits system, and it seems extraordinarily complex. I don't want to do anything to reduce their access to services but my own children are paying rent where they live, so it seems fair from my point of view.

Also, would this even be allowed? I'm not related to her kids, but I've got no idea how the system looks at it.

Thanks for any information...

LS

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    I’m not 100% of the question being asked but she won’t get benefits to pay for rent to you, so are you going to take it from her disability benefit?!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello all,

A couple of years ago, my g/f and her children moved into my house. The house (deeds and mortgage) are in my name only.

One of her children has just turned 18, and is registered as disabled, so receives certain benefits.

My question is - should I be charging her (adult child) rent? I've never had to deal with the benefits system, and it seems extraordinarily complex. I don't want to do anything to reduce their access to services but my own children are paying rent where they live, so it seems fair from my point of view.

Also, would this even be allowed? I'm not related to her kids, but I've got no idea how the system looks at it.

Thanks for any information...

LS
    How do you expect her to pay it?......
  • LateStarter
    LateStarter Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 December 2017 at 6:37PM
    I’m not 100% of the question being asked but she won’t get benefits to pay for rent to you, so are you going to take it from her disability benefit?!

Thanks for the quick response...

I didn't know exactly how'Housing Benefit' worked until I read your answer and did some googling - so I wasn't suggesting she claim it, and then give it to me. From what I've just read, she couldn't anyhow as I'm the partner of a 'close relative'. So, yes, I was wondering if I should ask her to pay rent out of her current disability benefit, for 2 reasons:
    1. So she understands that as an adult, she should pay her way when possible, and formally contribute to the household
    2. I gather if the money accumulates, she may lose access (or be charged for) some services.

Thanks again.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the quik response...

I didn't know exactly how'Housing Benefit' worked until I read your answer and did some googling - so I wasn't suggesting she claim it, and then give it to me. From what I've just read, she couldn't anyhow as I'm the partner of a 'close relative'. So, yes, I was wondering if I should ask her to pay rent out of her current disability benefit, for 2 reasons:
    1. So she understands that as an adult, she should pay her way when possible, and formally contribute to the household
    2. I gather if the money accumulates, she may lose access (or be charged for) some services.

Thanks again.

Does your g/f pay towards the mortgage?
  • LateStarter
    LateStarter Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 December 2017 at 7:15PM
    Comms69 wrote: »
    How do you expect her to pay it?......

She gets benefits, and has very few expenses; as I pretty much pay for all the running of the house (utilities, broadband, council tax etc.)
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    Does your g/f pay towards the mortgage?

She doesn't.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Going against the grain here a bit, but I would ask her for a contribution towards household expenses, in a way that reflects it being a part of being an adult member of a household.

Granted she won't be able to claim housing benefit, but if she's receiving everything else that she's entitled to benefit wise, but not paying for any living expenses (bills, food, etc?) then she will have more disposable income than many folk earning a decent wage and paying housing and living expenses.

You say she's 'registered disabled' is she working?
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So your girlfriend doesn’t pay anything towards the mortgage yet you want money from her daughter who is disabled. That’s low.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Sncjw wrote: »
    So your girlfriend doesn’t pay anything towards the mortgage yet you want money from her daughter who is disabled. That’s low.

You want to be careful there, you could hurt yourself jumping on that high horse.

G/F pays for Sky, buys half the groceries, does more than half the cooking/washing etc. She contributes.

Daughter is physically disabled and unfit for work.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    She gets benefits, and has very few expenses; as I pretty much pay for all the running of the house (utilities, broadband, council tax etc.)

Has she declared you on her claim?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport