Anyone been on a helicopter?

Options
Its our 10th Anniversary in a few weeks so I just booked a helicopter trip and lunch at the hotel we got married but I'm having second thoughts now as someone told me they felt sick so wouldn't be ideal after a big lunch :-/

Anyone else have experience of heli flights?

Thanks,

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Its our 10th Anniversary in a few weeks so I just booked a helicopter trip and lunch at the hotel we got married but I'm having second thoughts now as someone told me they felt sick so wouldn't be ideal after a big lunch :-/

Anyone else have experience of heli flights?

Thanks,

I've been on one. I didn't feel sick nor did the person with me. It's very noisy so ear protection was provided.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have a tendency to travel sickness? If you're ok in cars, coaches and boats you're less likely to have a problem than if you can't sit in the back seat of a car, for example.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Phil&Michelle
    Options
    Normally ok on planes / cars so maybe I will be ok. thanks :-)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Been on a big, old ex-Russian army helicopter and a small one round New York.

Was fine on both (the first was incredibly noisy) but I'm a pretty good traveller anyway.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 September 2017 at 11:33AM
    Options
    Been on many in my Army days. They use to throw them around in N. Ireland.

You will be fine, just don't undo the food or alcohol to be on the safe side. Commercial flights are normally pretty tame.
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suffer from horrible travel sickness, esp buses/coaches and cars if I'm not driving; however the 4 helicopter trips I've done (2 x Grand Canyon and then to and from Scilly ) were all fine, with only excitement felt.

Happy Anniversary and enjoy!
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • Phil&Michelle
    Options
    Thanks, fingers crossed we will both be ok :-) Getting excited now as only 2 weeks to go
  • bertiewhite
    Options
    Yes - Chinook, Sea King, Wessex, Gazelle & Puma. The only thing you might find different from a fixed wing aircraft is the vibration but I can't really speak for civilian helicopters.
  • davetrousers
    Options
    Get some travel sickness tablets if you have any concerns. Or have some ginger (biscuits).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure