60 + property - why?

Hi folks, I'm 62 next birthday and sometimes I feel like it, sometimes I don't! Today I went for an 8 mile walk with a younger chum and thoroughly enjoyed it. On the way back we swung by the old chocolate factory in Keynsham, which is in the middle of being converted into a huge block of flats. (Yes, the same choccy factory Kraft bought off Cadburys, promising they wouldn't close it and no-one would lose their jobs...)
Anyway, my question is this. A lot, if not all, of the accomodation is being marketed as retirement homes.( http://thechocolatequarter.org.uk) What gives? What are the pluses for the buyer, and given that there's never ever any such thing as a free lunch, what's in it for vendor?? Why don't they market them straight-fowardly as first come, first served, or is it a simple case of the old 'uns being the only folk with enough money to buy places like these?

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    They normally have features that would not be of interest to younger buyers such as a warden and a communal lounge - a lot of older people like the social aspect of these schemes.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There are always ongoing income streams with such places, too. Ground rents, management fees, care staff, there are endless opportunities, all with annual price rises.

With a freehold house, you sell it, make a profit and that's that. This is the gift that keeps on giving. So to speak.
  • simonineaston
    simonineaston Posts: 185 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2017 at 10:43AM
    Hmm, I think I get it. I don't think I'm quite ready to literally buy in to that sort of arrangement yet! I can see how it would work for some more community-minded folk, though. I put this very notion to a chum y'day, when we went past the show-home and he said, "Whad'ya mean you don't want to live in a community - what do you think you live in now? Everyone lives in some sort of community or other..." He has a point.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,779 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    From what I've seen, the ones round us are designed with the idea of having many facilities on tap, so you can live as independently (or not) as you wish.

So the individual homes have kitchens etc, but there is also a restaurant on site where you can go and eat if you wish, and communal sitting areas. And there are also facilities like hairdressers, library room, shop, gym etc.

As Biggles says, the service charges etc must be pretty high ....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 April 2017 at 1:08PM
    A quick look shows they're for wealthier people in the main.
    The Community Fee: £5,404pa for one person and £6,227pa for two people.

£100/week isn't a bad price when you compare it to other alternatives and the costs. e.g. visiting a local Age UK Day Centre and having a lunch used to cost my mum £20/day... and she had to wait to be collected, then brought back - there there'd be 24/7 people to mingle with and chat to without having to "get dressed up for the weather and turn out into the cold" to do it.

There are savings to be made if there are facilities on site, such as the hairdresser - no taxi cost to get to a hairdresser/back like in "the real world".

For those who would be doing these things and can benefit from having it all on site, it's a great choice they can make.

For many it's either unaffordable, or appears so.

Couples get it half price really.

Single: £104/week
    Couple each: £60/week each.

For those living entirely alone, it's an easy way of having people around in a safe environment, where you can do what you like/when you like, but know you have all this stuff, just on site....and you don't feel so "alone" at 3am when the wind's howling and the rain's bashing and it sounds like there are prowlers outside ... or the doorbell rings and there are two big men shoving IDs in your face...
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    there is normally either regular "sheltered" accommodation with a £170 per month service charge or "close care" schemes at about £500+ per month which include cleaning, meals and a lot more - they are quite different and suit people with differing abilities to live independantly
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I qualify as 60+ and will look at this type of accommodation. There's a development nearby.

I don't want to fall into the trap that my 96 yo MIL has done - determined to live in her own unsuitable home and worried about doing the garden, repairing the roof and spending a lot of time alone.
    Lessons to be learnt from my parents as well buying when retired and having a house without a downstairs bathroom - my father spent his last years living downstairs with a commode.

My wife and I jest about the future but agree we need to take stock when I reach 70.

The problem we face is - when do we make that move ? I want to make that choice and not have someone make it for me.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The reasons given By Robin are the same ones given by friends of mine, garden too big, stairs awkward, no handy shops or buses

Most of these retirment places around here seem to be deliberately sited near local facilites, like shops, library etc

Whilst the annaul costs may be high there are not any pockets in a shroud so may as well have a reasonable standard whilst alive
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Which? feature on pros and cons of Retirement Villages

http://www.which.co.uk/elderly-care/housing-options/retirement-villages
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In the latest Sunday Times, I think, there was an article on the difficulties and exhorbitant costs of selling these properties which anyone considering buying should take into account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure