Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Comments

• lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello, newbie here. Not seen this thread before but I would like to join please :)

I like the perfume tip. I stopped wearing perfume a few years back and I'm not sure why really. Next time I'm out shopping I will have a look out for a bargain and buy one I like. Will keep you posted on my choice.

I too am making mini monthly goals.

January
    -Dry January
    -lose 8lbs

PS- Sorry to hear of your loss LL x
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 January 2017 at 2:22AM
    Hello Ladies,

I went to my sister's with my son and daughter rather than go to the pub, so I had to tone down my fabbing a little. I wore my perfume layered with the matching body lotion. I wore a red short sleeved sweetheart neckline t-shirt and a black pull on skirt, with my black Kaleidoscope cardigan. I wore a gold shimmer eye shadow from my new Max Factor eye shadow palette with 2 coats of black mascara. I left my lips bare. I felt like I had really made the best of myself without going too glamorous. ;)

No one else in the family gathering had made much of an effort but I did not stick out like a sore thumb, as I chose to wear everyday clothes rather than the glamorous outfit I would have worn to the pub. I had the most wonderful evening with my family and the most tasty food. We had roasted leg of lamb and chicken with basmati rice, roast potatoes, fresh cauliflower and fresh broccoli with gravy. It was lovely to have so many reasons to laugh out loud until my stomach muscles were aching. There was no alcohol being consumed yet everyone had such a lovely time with each other. :j

I have decided to use make up far more often on a daily basis throughout 2017. I had so many make up sets, mostly N0.7 ones that I had got free with other purchases from Boots, that I have enough new make up to last throughout 2017 and beyond most probably. I was initially intending to give the make up sets away to female family members as Christmas presents, but it made more financial sense for me to keep them for my own use. :)

I bought so many lovely pamper sets from the Sanctuary range, that I still have lots of them left over after being very generous to my sisters, my daughters and other female members of my family. I will be using all of these lovely pampering products on my own body. :)

I want to step up my fabbing this year, but I still intend to do it in the most Money Saving Expert way that I possibly can.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good afternoon and Happy New Year everyone.

LL, thanks for starting us off again. Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and I hope things run as smoothly as possible over coming weeks with sorting out your Dad's funeral and estate, we will all be things of you.

Welcome to maggiem, squishylove1989, lippy1923, sukeyboo and any other new joiners.

I've been pondering goals and that sort of thing but haven't quite persuaded myself to write out a list as frankly it ends up a bit intimidating seeing everything written down.

What I have decided to do for now is to have a one word theme for the year, an idea I picked up on one of Gretchen Ruben's blog posts:-
    http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2015/01/a-fun-way-to-shape-the-new-year-pick-a-one-word-theme/

I've decided that my word for year is "Love". Now, you might think given I am single I mean finding myself a new boyfriend, but that's really not the angle I am coming from.

It came to me when I was reflecting on what I had written on a questionnaire for the nutritionist I am seeing a week on Monday. I had got on the scales and been disappointed to see I had put on quite a bit of weight in the second half of the year. I suspect it, but it's not the same as seeing the number. Anyway, what I wrote was "I hate myself right now". And then I thought some more about what I said on our last thread about there not having been much love in my house growing up and how I had struggled with both wanting to be loved but not really feeling that comfortable with it and managing to pick the wrong men for it...

Anyway, it dawned on me that I am busy recreating that lack of love in my life, in my relationship with myself. I would never talk to a friend the way I do to myself, or behave in a way which is counter to their interests, but I can be really mean to myself.

So, before I go out looking for that special someone to love, I want to focus on loving myself. That can include a plethora of things, from the basics like feeding myself well, getting enough sleep and exercise, managing stress to wearing fabulous clothes, beautiful perfume and saving money for my future as well as enjoying today.

My first focus will be getting the basics right to give me the energy for other things I want to achieve - without that I am trying to build on sinking sand. But I think the main thing I want to do right now is just to start being a bit more conscious of my behaviour and think about how to be kinder to myself, and think what is the most loving thing I can do for myself in any moment. Sometimes that might involve a bit of tough love, like forcing myself off the sofa to go and do some exercise - it's not just about being "nice" to myself.

However, after being out from 7pm - 2am last night, standing up almost all the time in heels and dancing for much of it, then only sleeping for about 5 hours, I think the kindest thing I can do is rest today! The only thing I really have to do is go and feed my friend's cats and as they live 2 minutes walk away, that's not a big chore.

So, in the meantime, I am going to put the TV on, put away all my electronic devices (as using multiple sources of media at once so I don't focus on any one thing is a bad habit I want to break this year) and stretch out under a cosy blanket... and if I happen to doze off whilst watching TV, that's no bad thing.
  • 3forholidays
    3forholidays Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I don't know how to change it. Can anyone help please.

To change the thread title - click the edit post button on the first post then the advanced option - think that it says go advanced. This should allow you to edit the thread title. Once you have edited it then click save changes.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for that, duly amended.

Phew almost lost a year there. :rotfl:

Indie. I think the word "love" for your theme is perfect. Self knowledge and self love are not selfish. With self love comes a healthy respect for ourselves.

As you so rightly say......we are often our own most harshest critics. We wouldn't dream of saying such cruel things to our friends and loved ones so we shouldn't say them to ourselves. We shouldn't even think them.

So thanks for that. It is very insightful and inspiring.
  • Babe1
    Babe1 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dear All

A Happy New Year to you all.

I only found this thread late last year and would dip, in and out - it felt very much a place I could feel at home in. I don't always feel brave enough to post on threads so this year I want to try and feel stronger.

I have a lot of weight to lose, I cannot face the scales at the moment but by the end of this month I shall step on to them

I love the Fabbing that you do - how wonderful that there is encouragement to fulfil our lives with beautiful things. I save way too much for "Special" and even on those special days they still don't used - this is going to stop in 2017

My Husband bought me a wonderful new fountain pen and journal for Christmas - we used to write with fountain pen at school and as I have got older I found I am returning to what I loved back then. The journal is going to be used to track how I can improve this year - with our home life and relationships, but mainly in how I can feel more comfortable in my own skin.

I have so enjoyed reading your posts - you have given me the push I have needed to make changes for the better

LL - thinking of you at this sad time. Please take time to be kind to yourself.

Hugs to anyone that needs them. S. x
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Welcome to all the new faces, as already mentioned this is such a friendly and supportive group, I hope that you will enjoy it here:D

Last night I typed a list comprising 25 items as my goals/aims for 2017, this may sound a lot, but many are a gentle reminder to myself in the hope that even on low energy days I will achieve a little more in terms of getting the house up to scratch and keeping up with the fabbing.

After 2 years of poor health and a lot of inactivity I am determined to take control of both as best I can, and if I need to take the pain killers to do so I will (hate taking tablets).

Started well, OH and I went to the normal Sunday morning cyclists meet up (in the car as it was raining), as expected, no one else turned up , but we had a coffee/tea and enjoyed talking though some of our plans for adventures in our caravan this year. Then we dressed up in warm waterproofs and went for a lovely walk in grounds of local country estate with dog, hardly any other people around and light rain only:D

LL - I hope that you feel better after a rest.

Indiepanda - this business of loving ourselves doesn't come easily to us sometimes.

Sugarbaby - your family get together sounds such fun.

Maman - you have done so well to keep your weight as you want if for so long.

Chanie - some great goals, I am sure that you will do well.

Elldbel - the idea of establishing new habits a few at a time sounds really positive.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Hewie29
    Hewie29 Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Happy new year to you all.

LL sorry to hear about your dad's passing.

The last 4.5 years have been pretty horrible and I've let things get on top of me and I haven't been taking care of myself. So this year I've decided its time to start looking after myself more.
    I really need to lose weight, do more exercise, etc.

I may not post everyday, but I will be reading.

I look forward to getting fab with you all in 2017.

:j
    Chiari Brain Malformation - decompression survivor
    April 2013:j
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Some comments in bold

chanie wrote: »
    happy new year fabbers

My goals for 2017

Loose 1-1.5 stones - I'm going to join weightwatchers.today I popped to town and bought some healthy foods to get me started. I got some slim pasta (9 calories per serving) and some vegetable noodles. Not very ? WE, as they are quite expensive, but good for emergencies

Do something with my hair - I'm growing it, but I'm thinking of colouring it.

Reduce my overdraft - I say this every year, but now that both children are at school, I have more disposable income.I'm going yo try and reduce my overdraft every month instead f hoping it will just go down naturally.

Get more of a social life - I've lost contact with lots of people, so I want to reconnect.

Read more books, do more baking, leant new skills. I've already baked a cake today. Again, it's not good for the diet, but I'll only have a small piece.

Keep up the fabbing and enjoy using my nice stuff ( don't keep for special occasions).

Decorate a couple of rooms in the house - luckily, it's mainly paint we need.

For any newbies, this thread of great and we talk about a wide range of stuff. Even when I'm not fabbing as much as I should, the people on here inspire me to continue and are a great source of support and advice.

Thank you all.

The children are at the in laws, so I'm going to do some fabbing maintenance, followed by a soak in the bath.
  • Sorry for your loss LL and thank you for the new thread. Last year I bought a Beagle puppy, moved house and lost nearly a stone and a half. I think this was helped by having to walk the puppy.This year I want to make sure I don't put the weight back on again and also need to get some work done to the new bungalow. I'll try to post more often too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure