Comments

• A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 March 2016 at 6:44PM
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Checking in late after my night out...

Unfortunately, I've only to mentally identify a couple of items as I've been out since 10am and got back at midnight. It's been nice to spend some time with Mrs K, though. :) Managed to keep my anxiety broadly under control, even though I'm not sure what's triggering it at the moment.

Regarding Challenge 1:
    How long? 1 month.
    How much? £500.
    Doing what? Decluttering large car parts that are no longer needed / wanted.
    Updates? Initially, I'm going to update daily, even if it's just to say I've not doing anything but the challenge is still in my mind. If I find daily is too much I'll post an update once per week.

Thank you, A Frayed Knot. :)

No, Thank You AlexLK :)

1st of all - glad you enjoyed spending time with Mrs K :j and managed to keep your anxiety under control - :T Well done You :T

And I am so pleased to see you List Challenge 1 and am looking forward to reading your posts (whether daily or not) still looking forward to them :)

Way to go AlexLK :T You've made a great start :D
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    newgirly wrote: »
    Well done Alex :)

Thank you. :)
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Trust me, he'll embarrass you enough in the years to come - get your revenge in early :rotfl:.

Seriously, hope you're feeling better. Panic attacks are terrifying but remember no-one actually died from one. GG x

Thanks Gally. :)

:rotfl: He's managed to embarrass me a fair few times already.

Unfortunately, I'm not really any better. There seems to be a lot of things going on at the moment and I've had another 13 hour working day (5 hours voluntary, have to admit I begrudged that a bit today) which I don't really know how I got through. I have some ongoing conflicts to deal with (business, not between Mrs K and I) and I don't think they're helping matters.
    No, Thank You AlexLK :)

1st of all - glad you enjoyed spending time with Mrs K :j and managed to keep your anxiety under control - :T Well done You :T

And I am so pleased to see you List Challenge 1 and am looking forward to reading your posts (whether daily or not) still looking forward to them :)

Way to go AlexLK :T You've made a great start :D

Not sure why you're thanking me!

It was lovely to spend some time with my wife. :) Somehow, we managed to resolve the "her money" thing... she see's that as being "motivational", as apparently by her saying it's "her money" she hopes I'll be "encouraged" to try to earn a bit more. I actually told her it wasn't "helpful" or "motivational" rather than refusing to speak which is my usual solution.

As for the Challenge 1 update ... I have a rather good start. +£250, free advertising (friend of a friend) and a set of wheels lighter. :D Calling that a win.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Forumite
    Thanking you as you took on my Challenge 1 :D

Woya - You've just managed 50% of your target on day 1 :eek: :A you certainly don't hang around, do you? Well done :T

That's definitely a win in my book :j :T

I'm kind of secretly hoping you have opened a bank account for your Challenge 1 :D

:T :A :T
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    It was lovely to spend some time with my wife. :) Somehow, we managed to resolve the "her money" thing... she see's that as being "motivational", as apparently by her saying it's "her money" she hopes I'll be "encouraged" to try to earn a bit more. I actually told her it wasn't "helpful" or "motivational" rather than refusing to speak which is my usual solution.

This sounds like excellent progress. I have to say, I'm with you - I don't think that would be helpful or motivational for me, either. I hope you both can figure out the best way to communicate (and motivate!) going forward. :)

Well done with your challenge, too - excellent progress on all fronts!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

:T

It's amazing what you achieve when you apply yourself Alex. Plus I'd have thought that getting rid of old wheels for cars you don't have is far less of an emotional wrench than seeing off your beloved pens.;)

While I can't empathise with the black dog it does seem that you're happier when you achieve something rather than worrying and putting yourself down about things you ought to be dealing with.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thanking you as you took on my Challenge 1 :D

Woya - You've just managed 50% of your target on day 1 :eek: :A you certainly don't hang around, do you? Well done :T

That's definitely a win in my book :j :T

I'm kind of secretly hoping you have opened a bank account for your Challenge 1 :D

:T :A :T

Thank you, A Frayed Knot. :)

I suppose I was lucky with the wheels yesterday but I did take the initiative to sell them. Today hasn't brought any sales, though.

No bank account opened, it's just going towards the total of our general savings.
    This sounds like excellent progress. I have to say, I'm with you - I don't think that would be helpful or motivational for me, either. I hope you both can figure out the best way to communicate (and motivate!) going forward. :)

Thank you, hiddenshadow.

My wife has long had some very funny ways of expressing "encouragement". :rotfl:
    maman wrote: »
    :T

It's amazing what you achieve when you apply yourself Alex. Plus I'd have thought that getting rid of old wheels for cars you don't have is far less of an emotional wrench than seeing off your beloved pens.;)

While I can't empathise with the black dog it does seem that you're happier when you achieve something rather than worrying and putting yourself down about things you ought to be dealing with.

Thanks, maman. :)

I'm quite happy to see the wheels gone, to be honest. No emotional attachment and they're just taking space that could be used for other things. Still have quite a nice pen collection ... and no, before you ask, they're not part of the "declutter and sell" plan.

Today has been awful. Little sleep last night, felt terrible all day and managed to fall out with a parent at my son's school. :o Can't face dealing with a few conflicts that must be resolved.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Forumite

I suppose I was lucky with the wheels yesterday but I did take the initiative to sell them.

No bank account opened, it's just going towards the total of our general savings.

I'm quite happy to see the wheels gone, to be honest. No emotional attachment.

This is a great start, you took the initiative and sold them.

I used to just put the ££ 's I received from selling anything into my account, where it just got "lost" amongst other savings.

So I just recently opened a Tesco online account. and started putting the ££'s there, where I can see the benefits of my sales/declutter :D So far this month I have £59.16 :D in there. If I just put in normal account, I probably wouldn't really know how much I had received. :o Worth thinking about.

Hopefully you'll the chance to declutter more over the weekend. :)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    No emotional attachment and they're just taking space that could be used for other things.
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use the space as space - you don't need to fill every gap with something else. Have you come across Konmari Alex - it sounds a bit 'woo' but I really think it could help you. Have a read at this:
    http://www.drnorthrup.com/7-tips-to-organize-your-home-using-the-konmari-method/
    The bit on garages in particular resonated with me about you. There is a thread on MSE about it and many people on there felt weighed down by life and 'stuff' until they read the book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying - it literally has changed their lives.
    "Garage: Cars represent our independence and ability to get around. If there is so much clutter in your garage that you can’t get your car in and out easily, you may feel difficulty moving forward in life"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Still have quite a nice pen collection ... and no, before you ask, they're not part of the "declutter and sell" plan.

Today has been awful. Little sleep last night, felt terrible all day and managed to fall out with a parent at my son's school. :o Can't face dealing with a few conflicts that must be resolved.

How on earth did you manage to do that? Not parking your enormous car in the way was it?:rotfl:
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    This is a great start, you took the initiative and sold them.

I used to just put the ££ 's I received from selling anything into my account, where it just got "lost" amongst other savings.

So I just recently opened a Tesco online account. and started putting the ££'s there, where I can see the benefits of my sales/declutter :D So far this month I have £59.16 :D in there. If I just put in normal account, I probably wouldn't really know how much I had received. :o Worth thinking about.

Hopefully you'll the chance to declutter more over the weekend. :)

Thanks. :)

Apart from £30 per week, my savings are profit (less tax) on things I have bought to sell, usually classic cars, watches, pens etc. Things I know something about. Last year I made £9,500 but was rather motivated to find things. However, looking back other things suffered as a result.

I may look into a separate savings account for the declutter but I'm keeping a record on here, so can still see how much has come from the declutter. I have realised from typing this, if I can keep this up to date then I could probably keep a spreadsheet. :o

Not sure what I'm doing over this weekend apart from some work for my course.
    gallygirl wrote: »

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use the space as space - you don't need to fill every gap with something else. Have you come across Konmari Alex - it sounds a bit 'woo' but I really think it could help you. Have a read at this:
    http://www.drnorthrup.com/7-tips-to-organize-your-home-using-the-konmari-method/
    The bit on garages in particular resonated with me about you. There is a thread on MSE about it and many people on there felt weighed down by life and 'stuff' until they read the book
    The Life Changing Magic of Tidying - it literally has changed their lives.
    "Garage: Cars represent our independence and ability to get around. If there is so much clutter in your garage that you can’t get your car in and out easily, you may feel difficulty moving forward in life"

:rotfl: We have a car garaged... just. ;) A lot of the "stuff" is in some outbuildings / the house.

Not come across Konmari, I will read your article later as I'm going out soon ... working, not spending money. ;)
    maman wrote: »
    How on earth did you manage to do that? Not parking your enormous car in the way was it?:rotfl:

:rotfl: Not car related! A parent was saying derogatory things about my son / our family to another parent and I overheard them. However, the parent refused to repeat their comments to me, of course.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills