Timing of 2 applications

I'll try and get to the point :)

Our 2 year fix rate mortgage is up on 31st March

We currently have a lease car that needs to go back to the dealers in March

So, in March we need to buy a car. Paying around half cash and personal loan for the rest (and paying that off as quick as we can)

Is it better to apply for any finance before the mortgage?
I could apply for the loan in January and keep the money sitting in the bank until needed
Only downside is I'd have a couple of months of paying for both the lease car and loan payment (but more than doable)

Or do mortgage application first?

OR :rotfl: I could put the car on a form of borrowing I already have (Barclaycard)

My credit file is excellent

Thank you

Comments

• YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    Get the mortgage out the way first. You could even start to review that now as some lenders would provide a 6 month offer on their mortgage terms.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • Chelseablue, do you have enough LTV to put the car on the new mortgage?
  • As YHM said, sort mortgage first.
    Please don't consider putting car onto mortgage. Really not a good idea when you have other options that aren't secured debt against your house
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036:eek: Target MED: 2026 ;)
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £684.80
    MFW No 124 :money:
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Why do you need to buy a car in March ?
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Don't put anything onto the mortgage apart from the house. It's potentially a 25-year loan so completely unsuitable for a depreciating asset.

In full-on MSE mode, is buying a car so expensive you'll need a loan for it just at the time you're making your biggest financial commitment really necessary.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Debtslayer, surely it's dependent on an individual's circumstances? To consider it and decide not to is one thing but to discount it entirely could be missing out on an opportunity to make your money work more effectively.

For me personally, and this is not advocating it's right for everyone or anyone else, I can borrow enough for a new car, and return a lease car, keep my mortgage term the same, whilst reducing my monthly payment, and have a significantly lower fixed interest rate for five years than I currently have. It's cheaper than a commercial loan and the amount I'm obliged to pay is less per month. I'll use the money saved on the lease car to make overpayments and have the extra borrowing paid off in 2 years and continue to overpay to reduce the overall mortgage term. So my point was really about considering another option but I fully appreciate it has to be in the context of affordability and risk in each individual circumstance.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    LTV is good, house is worth approx. £435,000 and outstanding mortgage is £221,000.

We do have to buy a car in March as our 2 year lease is up then and the car will be going back (must be returned, no option to keep it)

The plan after 2018 is to overpay the mortgage by £500 - £1,000 a month.

Really not sure about borrowing more on the mortgage for a car, would rather see the mortgage balance go down not up. Plus funds wouldn't be realised in time so partner would be car-less and he needs it for his commute.
    Although, could get a personal loan and when the re-mortgage completes pay off the loan
    But as I said really not sure its a good idea
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    In the phrase “need to buy a new car”

The words “need”, “buy” and “new” are all incorrect.

He could rent for a couple of months until the mortgage is running
    He could lease a s/h car.
    He could buy a s/h car
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When I say new I mean new to us not a brand new car :) Will be about 5 years old

Its probably really obvious but what does s/h mean?
  • YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    Secondhand ;)
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure