We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Recommend a tree, please

Options
2»

Comments

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    An aspen might work in that situation.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Or a Sweet gum (Liquid Amber)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about a pyrus chanticleer?
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    What about a pyrus chanticleer?

Good suggestion! The sweet gum would be good, too, but I prefer something with more of a native provenance. The Pyrus might be better for wildlife and for spring flower interest, but the sweet gum or the Aspen might give better foliage (particularly autumn) interest.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One or two people have recommended poplars.

I wouldn't plant any poplar if the location is close to a building, as their roots are particularly searching and destructive to drainage and they sucker up to 20 or more metres away. Some poplars are also among the noisiest trees, which is OK if you like the continous rustling, even on calm days, but it's not something everyone finds restful. I have aspens across the road and I don't mind them, but they also grow very fast!

If ultimate size and height must be limited, then something like Golden Elm won't ever get too large.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd echo amelanchier - have one myself and have bought these for several people.
    Lovely leaf colour in Spring & Autumn, berries that the birds love, and it can be easily kept in check as a shrub or tree.

I'd also agree about the unsuitability of poplar, however pretty some of them are.
  • tiz
    tiz Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Not very native, but Ginko biloba is the right shape, and you could grow it in a very large pot to restrict it's ultimate growth if you wanted. We have a couple in 3' tubs, great colour in autumn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure